West Coast - where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it is the reason Redden, Wellingham, Jetta and Yeo were traded in and Sheed, Duggan, Lamb, Partington, Vanables and Cole were drafted. How much do you expect when you are playing finals football?

At the time all of those trade were seen as high quality additions to The Eagles midfield and exactly what they needed. Now to go out and question why Cripps wasn't taken is just ridiculous, Dom Sheed was a great choice at the time. However without doubt, should have drafted SPP in 2016!

With that said, (injuries aside) I rather like the way things 'seem' at WC!

How about we see good Venables is or isn't before we settle on the SPP debate.

We didn't play finals in 2013-14 and have been making up the number the past two seasons. My expectation is that we would manage to improve an area that has been a glaring weakness for several years, regardless of ladder position. That was basically the most pressing matter for Simpson since his arrival.

As for the players you've mentioned, we overpaid for Wellingham and Redden - Wellingham was a non-factor as a midfielder and played his only decent football across HBF. And Jetta hasn't given us anything reliable. Yes, I grant you that Yeo has been a fine acquisition and hopefully he can become a full-time midfielder. We should have tried to poach others the way we poached Yeo - get them early, don't overpay.

As for the more recent draftees, we have to wait and see how they develop. Suffice to say, Lamb was a disaster. Meanwhile, they thought it wise to re-sign Masten for three more years in 2016.

I understood the rationale for those mature acquisitions but the reality is they haven't worked out. Clearly we needed to do more.

We've shown ourselves to be willing to trade out of the first round of the 2018 draft to have more bites of the cherry in 2017. If that was deemed an acceptable strategy, maybe we should have done it earlier. That is my point regarding SPP and Cripps.
And this is why people call you Captain Hindsight. As pointed out, West Coast did exactly what you wanted them to do, trading and drafting to fix a weakness. In almost all cases, the decisions taken were seen as being good at the time. Bit hey, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

And this is why people call you Captain Hindsight. As pointed out, West Coast did exactly what you wanted them to do, trading and drafting to fix a weakness.
But it didn't fix the weakness. That's the point.

You don't get points for doing something that doesn't work. The job of these people is to actually deliver improvement, not merely attempt to.

Is it your view that we simply couldn't have done any more in this respect?

In almost all cases, the decisions taken were seen as being good at the time. Bit hey, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
By definition, a discussion of the past involves hindsight. Why do you pretend this makes any point at all?

You're like a pull-string doll that can only recite a few recorded phrases.

We didn't play finals in 2013-14 and have been making up the number the past two seasons. My expectation is that we would manage to improve an area that has been a glaring weakness for several years, regardless of ladder position. That was basically the most pressing matter for Simpson since his arrival.

As for the players you've mentioned, we overpaid for Wellingham and Redden - Wellingham was a non-factor as a midfielder and played his only decent football across HBF. And Jetta hasn't given us anything reliable. Yes, I grant you that Yeo has been a fine acquisition and hopefully he can become a full-time midfielder. We should have tried to poach others the way we poached Yeo - get them early, don't overpay.

As for the more recent draftees, we have to wait and see how they develop. Suffice to say, Lamb was a disaster. Meanwhile, they thought it wise to re-sign Masten for three more years in 2016.

I understood the rationale for those mature acquisitions but the reality is they haven't worked out. Clearly we needed to do more.

We've shown ourselves to be willing to trade out of the first round of the 2018 draft to have more bites of the cherry in 2017. If that was deemed an acceptable strategy, maybe we should have done it earlier. That is my point regarding SPP and Cripps.

I have read a few of your posts over the years, you clearly are a smart person, however you are sounding very silly here. They have been doing everything you could have asked for (outside the trading future picks, but everyone was still unsure until Hawthorn came along with a 'cant say no offer,) and only with hindsight can you criticize them for those moves!

I have read a few of your posts over the years, you clearly are a smart person, however you are sounding very silly here. They have been doing everything you could have asked for (outside the trading future picks, but everyone was still unsure until Hawthorn came along with a 'cant say no offer,) and only with hindsight can you criticize them for those moves!
I am criticising the result, and rejecting the excuse that nothing more or different could possibly have been done.

I am criticising the result, and rejecting the excuse that nothing more or different could possibly have been done.

Well I certainly didn't say nothing more could have been done, they certainly should have drafted Ryan and Kelly in 2016, and I dont need hindsight for that!

It is so very clear that you have been far to spoilt as an Eagles fan. You should try supporting Fremantle or.... actually na, I couldn't imagine being a Melbourne supporter...

Well, they could have drafted Fyfe, Dangerfield and and Martin, I guess. Hey, you're right, this is easy.

Realistically, only three teams got it right in the last five years. And we did make a granny, so we came pretty close to getting it right. Since we didn't win a premiership, we fell short, hence the pivot now.

o_O...the Chocolates will be sent to Lathlain Park with thanks for Gov once we secure him with pick 1 in the PSD!

So you think Freo will tank again and finish 18th in 2018?

It is one way to rebuild I suppose.........just not the West Coast way.

How many rebuilds has it been now for Freo? And still nothing to show for it.

Culture!!:straining:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, they could have drafted Fyfe, Dangerfield and and Martin, I guess. Hey, you're right, this is easy.

Realistically, only three teams got it right in the last five years. And we did make a granny, so we came pretty close to getting it right. Since we didn't win a premiership, we fell short, hence the pivot now.

You forgot Cyril as well.

The club could have tanked a couple of years as well and miss finals, these mid range draft picks just dont land the best players. I mean Collingwood, Saint Kilda and Melbourne have had heaps of better picks and look how well thay are going.....:think::D

Oh lord, you can lead a horse to water...

Ditto.

Freo wont be trading in psd 1 to shaft the Eagles.

Finishing 18th however!

If Freo tried to shaft us with Gov and psd 1 what pick do you think Gold Coast would demand? A 2nd rounder?

Then Eagles pay Gov what he wants and you guys just wasted a really good pick.:D

Now that would be worthand extra $200k pa just for the LOLs

Ditto.

Freo wont be trading in psd 1 to shaft the Eagles.

Finishing 18th however!

If Freo tried to shaft us with Gov and psd 1 what pick do you think Gold Coast would demand? A 2nd rounder?

Then Eagles pay Gov what he wants and you guys just wasted a really good pick.:D

Now that would be worthand extra $200k pa just for the LOLs

What started as a post in jest has lead to, well, what ever ^ is...

Given the state of the list whats a realistic pass mark Eagles?

We're stuck in no mans land,

Not good enough to win it, not s**t enough to bottom out properly.

Just a giant batch of meh.

I reckon Eagles will bottom out 2018 to go forward
Only if injuries hit key players, or NN and JK fail to get on the park. A team with a spine of Barrass, McGovern, NN, Darling and Kennedy isn't going to finish bottom four. And while a midfield of Shuey, Gaff, Redden and Jetta isn't elite, neither is it turgid.

A pass mark is still finals. If NN and JK get through the whole season, I'd be expecting at least on par with last season.

I reckon Eagles will bottom out 2018 to go forward

Will the list improve over the next couple of years?

That will depend on if we can actually draft and develop a midfield. So far all we seem good at is developing taller players.

Congilio as a fa in 2019 is a key opportunity, if the Eagles can land him after a bit of success developing Venables, Petrucelle, Ainsworth and Brayshaw then maybe we can actually get the ball into our forward line enough.

Kennedy is 31 in 2018 so that trump card will expire within the next three seasons most likely.

Will the list improve over the next couple of years?

That will depend on if we can actually draft and develop a midfield. So far all we seem good at is developing taller players.

Congilio as a fa in 2019 is a key opportunity, if the Eagles can land him after a bit of success developing Venables, Petrucelle, Ainsworth and Brayshaw then maybe we can actually get the ball into our forward line enough.

Kennedy is 31 in 2018 so that trump card will expire within the next three seasons most likely.
coniglio would be a good get

Only if injuries hit key players, or NN and JK fail to get on the park. A team with a spine of Barrass, McGovern, NN, Darling and Kennedy isn't going to finish bottom four. And while a midfield of Shuey, Gaff, Redden and Jetta isn't elite, neither is it turgid.

A pass mark is still finals. If NN and JK get through the whole season, I'd be expecting at least on par with last season.
Personally I think finals a huge ask for the Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back