West Coast - where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morton, Grant, Myers, Palmer, Veszpremi

Half-wits go on about Masten being a dud pick but he was still one of the best mids taken in the first round of that draft which speaks volumes for just how bad that year was.

Rioli was always going to stay in Melbourne and no one was going to take the risk on Dangerfield that high either so it was the best of a bad situation.

It was a bit of a hit and miss draft .....Masten was the clear choice at the time having lost Judd, if it wasn't him it would of been Myers or Palmer ....basically do you want that crap sandwich on white, brown or multi-grain bread?

Drafting has not been great but look at the picks ....they've not had a pick inside the top 10 since 2010.

It was a bit of a hit and miss draft .....Masten was the clear choice at the time having lost Judd, if it wasn't him it would of been Myers or Palmer ....basically do you want that crap sandwich on white, brown or multi-grain bread?

Drafting has not been great but look at the picks ....they've not had a pick inside the top 10 since 2010.

Rumour has it we sent Mitch Morton to Richmond to try to influence them to select Cale Morton at 2 and we could then grab Cotchin at 3, but it didn't pan out. Might be urban legend but Richmond ended up with a Brownlow medallist and premiership captain so well done to them.

We we had one top 10 pick, and we used it as leverage to get Yeo so that turned out to be good business.

Awesome bit of insight above from you Clem but what happens if you lose Sandra of Fyfe ?
Freo would be sh!t just like the last two years.

Breaking news, rebuilding clubs lose best two players aet to struggle.

STOP THE PRESS!!!!

All this is true. But it’s not really comparable.
Losing Sandi or Fyfe equates to WC losing Kennedy or McGovern.
Losing Elite players is always difficult to cover.

I’m talking about losing anyone else in your top 22. Losing a midfielder means you have to play Masten, because he’s the best outside of the 22. Lose Darling and you have to play Lamb. Oh wait,

Ive stated that I wouldnt have taken Ryan when we did.

Replace Ryan with a true inside mid in Constable or a Worpel then our draft looks much more balanced.

Brander and Allen were to good to pass on but adding say Constable / Worpel, Ainsworth, Petrucelle and Brayshaw that would have been my preference.

Fair enough, I agree.

Supply v demand at a new $1 billion dollar stadium that only fits 60,000 not 100,000.

Obviously Eagles have higher demand than Freo.

It will be interesting tosee if Freo prices go up or West Coast come down in years to come.
what a load of crap ... its price gouging there is no way that the WCE dont make profit setting the tickets at a reasonable price they are just pushing the game further and further out of reach from the average footy fans to fluff out their already massive profits ... greedy fat cats thats what the eagles are
pathetic club treating footy fans so poorly i get them not giving a crap about opposition fans but they are ripping off even their own fans...

Yep you took the soft option. Instead of putting up an opinion on credible options you avoid saying anything really.

How about you put up or shut up for a change.
Stop kidding yourself, Fridge Magnet.

You asked who we should have taken in 2016-17. SPP is the obvious answer. As for the 2017 draft, suffice to say, we waited until our fourth pick to take a midfielder, which could well turn out to be a missed opportunity.

And clearly, my arguments in this thread are not only about the last two drafts, so your narrow focus on them is bizarre, but not out of character.

As to anyone handing arse to anyone exactly how many times have you changed your user name now is it?

Gunner Longshanks
Ian Dargie
Sweet Jesus

Have I missed any?
Is this really the best you can do? No attempt whatsoever to defend yourself on the point raised.

Tell me again how the 2012 midfield was going to surpass the 2006 midfield. Or are you going to pretend you never said that?

And you still have no idea. But I see you're going to puff yourself up in the hope of clawing back some of your lost face. You must have been stewing on it for ages and now it all comes pouring out. This should be entertaining.

It seems to happen after YOU get handed Your arse by a plethora of posters pointing out just how big a tool you are.

Another soft option you take quite often is misquoting people to suit your argument. .... really!

I mean that is the ultimate SOFT option really. You post so much garbage rhat even you get embarrassed and so change your name on at least three occassions. That is the softest option of all.

Might be time for another name change Gunner Dargie.;)
Wow, look how desperate you are to save face. Look how testy you get when disrespected. I'm so impressed by how you eschew the soft option, Fridgie. You're such an alpha dog. Your assertiveness training classes are really paying off!

Unfortunately, you've offered zero on the substance, as usual. Not even an attempt to hold your own. There's a lame rejoinder about "misquoting". And then you pivot straight to indignant bleating. It's like clockwork.

I must say, it's reassuring to see that some things never change, Fridgie. You're as incoherent and devoid of insight as ever. And I must admit I can't resist the invitation to slap you around like old times. You've always been one of my favourite toys.

Tell me again how the 2012 midfield was going to surpass the 2006 midfield. Maybe the 2018 crew will be as good as 2006 as well?

Or maybe it's time for you to move those fridge magnets around.

Last edited:
Who are these young midfielders capable of getting 31 possessions, but playing in the Eagles seniors? Sheed? Not really a ball magnet, yet?
Venables? How many games has he played? Not a stupid point at all.

East Perth’s poor performances over the last couple of years shows that the Eagles do not have the depth in the midfield, and hardly anywhere else. If they get badly hit with injuries they will drop like a stone.

This is an Eagles thread, so I shouldn’t be defending my team, but Freo pressure games are so much more interesting than the Eagles playing the web in 2015. The only thing the Eagles crowd seemed to enjoy was the rare cameo by NicNat (a whole crowd pretending to be Meg Ryan as Sally whenever the ball was in his vicinity) and calling out “BALL” or “HIGH” whenever the ball was in contention. The Hawthorn style 10m uncontested kicking and marking has been the single most boring aspect of football this decade.

Compare that to Freo’s game at their height. Massive pressure from the foot soldiers and delightful skills and brutality from the likes of Fyfe, Sandilands and Walters.
East Perth's poor performance doesn't really have a lot to do without depth. If it did, then Peel's success would suggest the Dockers are stacked with depth and didn't just struggle for two seasons.

The two clubs had two different situations. The Eagles were challenging, playing all their senior players, leaving East Perth to develop the kids. Freo entered a rebuild, put the kids on the park, and put the older hardened senior players out for Peel.

Not saying the Eagles are stacked for depth, but East Perth isn't the evidence.

WCE are a bunch of bastards !!
pretty soon i have some overseas friends coming to Perth and as part of the "australian experiance" i thought i would take them to a footy match so online i go to ticketmaster to grab tickets to a WCE game ... the exercise for three adults and 2 kids in the alcohol free zone came up to a whopping $283.75 !!! i almost fell off my chair so i looked to the game the next week a freo game choosing exactly the same seats $119.00 .... do the WCE really live in a world wher they think families have a spare $300 for one footy game.... funny enough looking online a Richmond membership (chose them as premiers) to all games home and away for an adult is $315.00

I'm sorry WCE but you are a bunch of money hungry bastards.. your price gouging is putting football out of the reach of not only opposition supporters but even your own supporters .. i hope you have an empty stadium by mid season cause you are bottom four and your fans see what kind of organisation you really are
what a load of crap ... its price gouging there is no way that the WCE dont make profit setting the tickets at a reasonable price they are just pushing the game further and further out of reach from the average footy fans to fluff out their already massive profits ... greedy fat cats thats what the eagles are
pathetic club treating footy fans so poorly i get them not giving a crap about opposition fans but they are ripping off even their own fans...

Nice rant.
What games were you looking at? You are going to look pretty stupid if you were looking at the Freo V Gold Coast game and comparing prices for that game....

Anyway
Freo v Saints Section 150 $85 each.
Eagles v Suns Section 148(2 sections more to middle of ground better position) $88 each.

Massive difference rant rant whinge whinge WCE are pure evil.

Last edited:
Well, the season is nearly upon us. I am prepared to park my criticisms for now and hope to be proven horribly, embarrassingly wrong. Maybe when I revisit this thread in a couple of months, WC will be flying and the likes of JackOutback will force me to eat humble pie. I hope so.

Edit: Masten picked for R1. FMD. :poo:

Last edited:
East Perth's poor performance doesn't really have a lot to do without depth. If it did, then Peel's success would suggest the Dockers are stacked with depth and didn't just struggle for two seasons.

The two clubs had two different situations. The Eagles were challenging, playing all their senior players, leaving East Perth to develop the kids. Freo entered a rebuild, put the kids on the park, and put the older hardened senior players out for Peel.

Not saying the Eagles are stacked for depth, but East Perth isn't the evidence.
It suggests that our list his headed the right direction. Big step up from WAFL to AFL so one doesn't guarantee the other but your 2nd stringers are getting belted in the WAFL right now while our kids are looking good.

Early days but if it continues it will show you have not much coming through and you are in for a massive rebuild, starting with the recruiting department.

Nice rant.
What games were you looking at? You are going to look pretty stupid if you were looking at the Freo V Gold Coast game and comparing prices for that game....

Anyway
Freo v Saints Section 150 $85 each.
Eagles v Suns Section 148(2 sections more to middle of ground better position) $88 each.

Massive difference rant rant whinge whinge WCE are pure evil.
Freo vs St Kilda - bay 105 (alcohol free zone) Sec 105, Row 13, Seat 40 - $30
WCE vs St Kilda - Bay 105 (alcohol free zone) Sec 105, Row 13, Seat 39 - $66
WCE vs Port - Sec 104, Row 14, Seat 7 - $66
Freo vs Port - Sec 104, Row 15, Seat 14 - $30

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The West Coast Eagles are the primary funding for the WAFL, Fremantle FC pays a bit too but not as much as the Eagles.

St Kilda pays $0 to fund the VFL. The AFL pay for that.

The West Coast Eagles are the primary funding for the WAFL, Fremantle FC pays a bit too but not as much as the Eagles.

and that means your happy to pay $88 to go see a footy match ...
good show

Supply v demand at a new $1 billion dollar stadium that only fits 60,000 not 100,000.

It will be interesting tosee if Freo prices go up or West Coast come down in years to come.

More likely Freo gets cheaper and West coast gets more expensive.

I think in 3-5years time we will see that Perth is a ways off being able to support 3 AFL clubs.

It suggests that our list his headed the right direction. Big step up from WAFL to AFL so one doesn't guarantee the other but your 2nd stringers are getting belted in the WAFL right now while our kids are looking good.

Early days but if it continues it will show you have not much coming through and you are in for a massive rebuild, starting with the recruiting department.
They're not our second stringers, they are our kids, and they weren't exactly getting belted. Your kids are now first stringers and we're getting belted by 100 points in the AFL. Maybe that will give your kids the head start, but given you entered full rebuild before us, that makes sense. West Coast isn't convinced a full blooded tebuild is necessary and given our top line players and spine, I tend to agree.

Freo vs St Kilda - bay 105 (alcohol free zone) Sec 105, Row 13, Seat 40 - $30
WCE vs St Kilda - Bay 105 (alcohol free zone) Sec 105, Row 13, Seat 39 - $66
WCE vs Port - Sec 104, Row 14, Seat 7 - $66
Freo vs Port - Sec 104, Row 15, Seat 14 - $30

The WA teams also don't get a million dollars plus in revenue by ruining peoples lives with pokie machines like some eastern state teams (with many earning substantially more) so to be lectured on moral grounds by a supporter of one of those teams seems a bit hypocritical. We have to make money where we can so if simple supply and demand means we can sell those tickets at that price then we would be stupid not to.

If that is true why didn't WC ask for a larger capacity? 70 or 80k?

Ive stated that I wouldnt have taken Ryan when we did.

Replace Ryan with a true inside mid in Constable or a Worpel then our draft looks much more balanced.

Brander and Allen were to good to pass on but adding say Constable / Worpel, Ainsworth, Petrucelle and Brayshaw that would have been my preference.
Who was the best available mid at 13 in last years draft? I cant remember any sliders off the top of my head.

Who was the best available mid at 13 in last years draft? I cant remember any sliders off the top of my head.
Hard to tell since none of them have played but Higgins, Constable or maybe even Kelly I would have thought.

Reckon Charlie is as close to Priddis as you can get and is by all reports a much better kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back