West Coast - where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliot Yeo - 23
Andrew Gaff - 25
Jeremy McGovern - 25
Jack Darling - 24
Jamie Cripps - 25 (quality but not star)
Dom Sheed - 22 (quality but not star)

you can build a young brigade around that bunch in the 18-23 range and have a crack in a couple of years easily....... Shuey and Nic Nat will be twilight of their careers but will still be around too.
darling a star lmao campaigners a piece of crap awful footballer

Now they have Sam Mitchell I think they are as good a chance as any. I wrote last year heading into the finals that West Coast stood absolutely no chance of winning the flag - due the players not implementing the game plan (players having tunnel vision and just hacking the ball into their forward line). Simpson has obviously rectified - or is in the process of rectifying - this. Mitchell will continuously drill down on that game plan, and make sure the players carry it out. I think West Coast are a big chance this year.

Now they have Sam Mitchell I think they are as good a chance as any. I wrote last year heading into the finals that West Coast stood absolutely no chance of winning the flag - due the players not implementing the game plan (players having tunnel vision and just hacking the ball into their forward line). Simpson has obviously rectified - or is in the process of rectifying - this. Mitchell will continuously drill down on that game plan, and make sure the players carry it out. I think West Coast are a big chance this year.
This sounds like a comment made in preseason.

We've had 14wks to implement the gameplan properly, it was evident in the preseason we had changed things and that there would be teething problems, but they haven't got it right, or the gameplan is just bad.

A loss today ends their finals chances and I suspect Simpsons career. He has everything riding on 2017!

No, season is too close to write anyone off.

We're two games off 2nd spot and 2 games off 3rd last. Anything can happen even with a loss today.

On track for a win in Melbourne against the reigning premiers (their second win over the Bulldogs this year, getting them over a mental hurdle and extracting some revenge for the Elimination Final loss last year).

By the Round 17 Derby, their current lengthy injury list could be down to just Nic Naitanui (who they really, really miss), Will Schofield (arguably not best 22), and 19-year-olds Matthew Allen and Tarir Bayok (neither of whom have played at AFL level before). Can easily make top 4, and anything is possible with the double chance.

If today's game has shown me anything, it's that at their best, the Eagles are a genuine premiership chance but remain inconsistent.

Shuey and Gaff can play elite games but don't do it regularly enough to genuinely be elite or lift the Eagles to a top premiership contender. A spine of McKenzie (now back in form), Barrass, Naitanui, McGovern and Kennedy is first rate, Shuey, Gaff and Mitchell all at their best is first rate, Darling as a third forward is good, support from the likes of Sheppard, Schofield etc is solid. Absolutely everything would have to go right but it's not out of the realms of possibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On track for a win in Melbourne against the reigning premiers (their second win over the Bulldogs this year, getting them over a mental hurdle and extracting some revenge for the Elimination Final loss last year).

By the Round 17 Derby, their current lengthy injury list could be down to just Nic Naitanui (who they really, really miss), Will Schofield (arguably not best 22), and 19-year-olds Matthew Allen and Tarir Bayok (neither of whom have played at AFL level before). Can easily make top 4, and anything is possible with the double chance.

pls no jinx kthx

Either way an impressive performance - so far. But a long way to go, excuse me while I take another nervous poo.

Well...Cole and Karpany I guess?

Not exactly a landslide..

Once Kennedy, Priddis, Hurn, Lycett and a few others are available it'll be interesting to see the make up of the side.
Most of those ins will replace other similarly aged players, not the youth. Kennedy will push McGovern back and force either Petrie, EMac or Barrass out, Lycett will replace Vardy or Petrie, Priddis will replace Redden or Masten, Hurn will replace Butler or Wellingham. It's not a bad position to be in.

Most of those ins will replace other similarly aged players, not the youth. Kennedy will push McGovern back and force either Petrie, EMac or Barrass out, Lycett will replace Vardy or Petrie, Priddis will replace Redden or Masten, Hurn will replace Butler or Wellingham. It's not a bad position to be in.

Don't know if completely agree with that... Cole and Karpany still in 19-22 territory, at full strength they don't play.

But hey, unlikely we'll capture lightning in a bottle and be at full strength anyway.

Well...Cole and Karpany I guess?

Not exactly a landslide..

Once Kennedy, Priddis, Hurn, Lycett and a few others are available it'll be interesting to see the make up of the side.

If you think about our side at the moment and those coming through

Karpany, Cole, Barrass, Duggan, Nelson, Partington with the likes of Rioli and Venables should they get fit.

Now not all those due to injuries, but it is a fair core of under 21s coming through. It isn't just the tired ole players every week

Plus a few games into Mutimer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back