AFLW West Coast Women 2021 - Discussion

How many wins in 2021?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We’re sh*t, eh?
We can play competitive football, we just cannot play it for more than a half. I dont think there is any prospect of us doing it this year either.

Hopefully its all part of a grand plan. Start building a game plan now, knowing we do not yet have the players or fitness base to play it for long. Which is fine provided we build that fitness base, and really target recruiting to fit.

I commend the recruiting staff for allowing us to play for a season and a half without a forward line. Great work legends.

Stop your fuc**** bitching and whinging.

We are a young side and its going to take some time.

Time and patience is going to be needed.

If you cant see that, or won't afford the team time to develop, learn and grow ...... then simply stop following the side.

Go back to following the Perth Demons for your fill of winning satisfaction .

We are all frustrated that the side lacks the ability to run out a game and that our talent depth is not up to par.

But thats the drafting and recruiting cards that we have been dealt.

I am in for the long haul to support and back the gals.

Go girls .... plucky effort and there was areas of improvement so onwards to better things.

We can play competitive football, we just cannot play it for more than a half. I dont think there is any prospect of us doing it this year either.

Hopefully its all part of a grand plan. Start building a game plan now, knowing we do not yet have the players or fitness base to play it for long. Which is fine provided we build that fitness base, and really target recruiting to fit.
This was only the second Eagles womens match I've seen but there were some good signs. McCarthy was solid all day, Pope seems to keep chasing the ball and our defense held their own at times. There are a couple of things I saw that aren't going to cut it at the top level though. One of our defenders fumbling in space when she had the support of three Eagles players, and #4 looking absolutely gassed running back to goal at the end are things you'd expect to see tidied up.

Yes only being able to play competitive football for 2 quarters out of 4 is s**t football.

We may very well be building towards something but my point is, currently, we suck.

Yes only being able to play competitive football for 2 quarters out of 4 is sh*t football.

We may very well be building towards something but my point is, currently, we suck.

We were competitive for 3 quarters my man. That's a vast improvement.

I prefer that than being competitive for 3 tracking towards 2.

Tightened up defensively, but were unable to hit the scoreboard ourselves in the second half. Chalk that up as a KPI for the rest of the season - second half goals.

With all due respect Monocle I’ll vent how I want

I thought the effort was magnificent, has been all season especially with the injuries. Was impressed by the athleticism of some of the GWS girls and thought that made up a fair portion of the difference in the end. Cameron, for example, seems well off the right body shape unless we want her primarily up front. I’d prefer her in the guts.

I’m annoyed by our propensity to give up stupid free kicks, lack any semblance of structure going forward and the (imo) unfair scorelines our efforts are leading to. I’m also annoyed that the club failed to gain an inaugural team in this competition over an inferior organisation, thus setting us back some time.

Lewis and Bowen continue to stand out for me, we need someone for them to kick to now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m also annoyed that the club failed to gain an inaugural team in this competition over an inferior organisation, thus setting us back some time.

I think it's time to let that go, mate. Even if we put together the best pitch in the West, Freo stood more chance of getting the leg up. Most of the competitive sides in the AFLW are fielding trash men's teams. I don't believe that's a coincidence.

I think it's time to let that go, mate. Even if we put together the best pitch in the West, Freo stood more chance of getting the leg up. Most of the competitive sides in the AFLW are fielding trash men's teams. I don't believe that's a coincidence.
That’s fair, it’s just frustrating.

I recall somebody posting that our pitch was not very well put together. I could be remembering incorrectly though.

I recall somebody posting that our pitch was not very well put together. I could be remembering incorrectly though.
Give it 5-10 years. The clubs with s**t mens sides are that way for a reason. The top women’s sides are just beating up on the newly formed ones. It’ll be viewed the same way as the VFL “premierships” back in the 1900s once theres a few more years behind the comp and it evens out a bit.

The cream will rise and the clubs that aren’t run well will be found out. They needed a head start or it would have been business as usual. If their only success is coming from a women’s side who have been around for longer than the majority of the comp and have a monopoly on the fittest and best players, then it’s a pretty sad state of affairs.

Give it 5-10 years. The clubs with sh*t mens sides are that way for a reason. The top women’s sides are just beating up on the newly formed ones. It’ll be viewed the same way as the VFL “premierships” back in the 1900s once theres a few more years behind the comp and it evens out a bit.

The cream will rise and the clubs that aren’t run well will be found out. They needed a head start or it would have been business as usual. If their only success is coming from a women’s side who have been around for longer than the majority of the comp and have a monopoly on the fittest and best players, then it’s a pretty sad state of affairs.

What we have got in our favour is that we will get the better players that come through in the next few drafts, its encouraging to note that the young 18 year olds that have been playing football since under 10's are the ones who are staring in the AFLW.
Those players who have been playing since they were really young and performing better than many of the more mature players who were late converts to the game.

Example just how good do Lewis and Bowen look...... add Franklin and Roberts to the list an we start putting together a decent forward line.

The AFLW administrators are currently facing a difficult and testing situation, whereby the gap between the new Clubs and the more established Clubs in vast and therefore we are getting pretty predictable and one sided results.
The Crows are pretty much a State side and represent all of South Australia.

TV audiences need good close games and an evenness of the competition and thats something that is currently missing.

Fremantle are going to remain stronger than us for a very long time if the current drafting rules and structures remain unchanged.
Even if we finish bottom and Fremantle win the Premiership, come draft time we get the first and third best WA prospect and they get the second and fourth.
The disparity in WA is not that much better in Victoria either.

Whats needed is that the new sides should be given access to more of the best prospects.

By example we should get the first three WA prospects and the Victorian new Clubs should have a round of draft picks and then be first of the rank in ascending order in the next full participation draft round.

If the AFLW want to garner better public support for all new teams, they need to get creative in implementing ways to accelerate the on field improvement, in the new sides.

Last edited:

I heard the same, but we don't deliberately do things by halves, unless it's social media. We pick our battles and we win what's winnable.

Freo supposedly went above and beyond with theirs, went as far as to provide blueprints to their then developing Cockburn centre which had its own separate facilities for a womens team. Apparently with ours we just went through our mens AFL history without the extra detail and future planning that Freo's provided. IIRC the Herald Sun had an article rating the applications, Fremantle were top of the list and we were second last.

I think Biggie posted a few pages back, the way AFLW is right now, players are supplementing their current playing wages with other jobs, which means (at least right now) interstate teams will be hesitant in picking players outside of their own state in the draft. Which essentially means, until Freo drop down below us, we'll be picking the best WA talent available every draft. My understanding is that there are a couple of genuine WA talents this coming draft. Our success will come, as long as our recruiters do their job correctly.

Yes only being able to play competitive football for 2 quarters out of 4 is sh*t football.

if we sucked because we were uncompetitive in every quarter, I would be more concerned. Sucking in 2 quarters means, we CAN play, we just dont have the base or cattle to keep it up. I noticed that the debutant Gaucci looked gassed late in the first quarter. Looked like she could play, but needed about 3 more months of pre season.

I think people underestimate how much a shock it is coming from state leagues to AFLW with the pretty measly pre season they get. If Gaucci was an AFL player, there is no way she debuts year 1.

This loss felt a bit worse cos we were clearly right in the game a few mins into the last.

Lewis was our best today, I reckon. Fourth game. Just doesn't stop digging in. Bresland and Swanny right up there. I was impressed by Atkins again too, has been pretty clean and composed lately.

Hoping McCarthy is right for next week, the midfield will get smashed without her regardless of who we face. The only bigger body we have there. I definitely agree that Cameron should be there, but doesn't seem to have the fitness.

Good effort again, and I can see the development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back