AFLW West Coast Women 2021 - Discussion

How many wins in 2021?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another week without a goal for Gibbo :clapping:

Cameron with 1 touch. Her form and how much she's regressed from her first few games is concerning.

Guard putting up low numbers each week as a leader is a bit lacklustre.

Also, Grace Kelly hasn't looked close to troubling the scorer this year. One goal from 10 games as your teams forward is a bit sub par I'd have thought, but it's not like we have options.

Cora Staunton on the other hand, the 39yr old Irish vet for the Giants who is borderline on retirement has kicked 12 goals from her past 11 AFLW games.

Bella BOG for us. Atkins had a crack, Collier was decent, 7 tackles for her along with McCarthy.

At least the club has got some mid improvement with Bella and Bowen developing, but our structure forward of centre has to be addressed next.

Please just let us play another spud team. And by that, I mean Richmond.

Whats needed is that the new sides should be given access to more of the best prospects.
Do you think West Coast would be more competitive right now if they also drafted Roxanne Roux? She's kicked 1 goal this year in a team that is generating 33 I50s per game (as opposed to the Eagles' 20 I50s per game).

The clear expansion lesson reiterated with McCarthy's move to West Coast (and Hosking to Richmond) is that new sides need to be able to bring in more seasoned midfielders. And the AFL should absolutely do more to facilitate that because, despite all the whinging, experienced teams clearly have the depth to cover those losses.

The AFLW administrators are currently facing a difficult and testing situation, whereby the gap between the new Clubs and the more established Clubs in vast and therefore we are getting pretty predictable and one sided results.
The gap has nevertheless been heightened by the misfortune of long-term injuries. None of the inaugural teams are missing an on-baller of the calibre of Hooker or Morrison or even Yorston, just expansion teams least capable of bearing such a burden.

Richmond have kept their best players on the park and, despite currently winless, they are obviously improving at a rapid rate (haven't had a soft draw either). Saturday's match against Carlton was really good, in fact, but it would have been a thrashing if Conti wasn't out there.

Do you think West Coast would be more competitive right now if they also drafted Roxanne Roux? She's kicked 1 goal this year in a team that is generating 33 I50s per game (as opposed to the Eagles' 20 I50s per game).

The clear expansion lesson reiterated with McCarthy's move to West Coast (and Hosking to Richmond) is that new sides need to be able to bring in more seasoned midfielders. And the AFL should absolutely do more to facilitate that because, despite all the whinging, experienced teams clearly have the depth to cover those losses.

The gap has nevertheless been heightened by the misfortune of long-term injuries. None of the inaugural teams are missing an on-baller of the calibre of Hooker or Morrison or even Yorston, just expansion teams least capable of bearing such a burden.

Richmond have kept their best players on the park and, despite currently winless, they are obviously improving at a rapid rate (haven't had a soft draw either). Saturday's match against Carlton was really good, in fact, but it would have been a thrashing if Conti wasn't out there.
Thanks, we'll take Garner ;)

It's a real shame Dana is injured, I think she and McCarthy would be an excellent combination.

Swanson does a lot of things well but her kicking/decision making isn't up to scratch for an experienced player. Dare I say she reminds me of a particular ex Eagle, albeit a better overhead mark. I see higher ceilings in both Bowen and Lewis.

It's a real shame Dana is injured, I think she and McCarthy would be an excellent combination.

Swanson does a lot of things well but her kicking/decision making isn't up to scratch for an experienced player. Dare I say she reminds me of a particular ex Eagle, albeit a better overhead mark. I see higher ceilings in both Bowen and Lewis.
The upside is that between the bunch of them, plus Niamh Kelly and even Bri Green if she ever gets a good run with injury, we're developing a lot of midfield depth. So much so that next year we could try rotating Swanson and Hooker through the forward line as well as McCarthy. That, plus Franklin and maybe Thomas from the draft, could give us targets for the first time, which in turn creates space for Davison to crumb.

A great first half but the work that the good players are doing to cover for the bottom half catches up to them in the second half. If Hooker plays then I think it could have been a different result.

In his post-match press conference, it appeared that Pratt had no idea who Cora Staunton was or what she had just done to his side.

The disadvantage of having a part-time coach from the men’s program? But you couldn’t argue that he hasn’t done a great job improving this side since taking over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again we had a lot of passengers in that game, especially our big recruits who are on good money like Gibbo and G Kelly. Kelly I can understand because she’s new to the game but Gibbo needs to go. I’d rather get 10-12 possessions out of a Davidson or an Orme over 2 touches combined from the aforementioned pair.
Laurie was ok around the ground but was getting killed in the middle at every tap, as it seems her timing of her leap is off.
McDonald once again was miles off her best, fumbling a ball in clear space and just watching as her opponent took a mark while standing next to her.

On the positive side, Atkins was great, Smith did some good things and Lewis & Bowen were really great.

Sure we have some talent out at the moment, but there’s a few too many who are getting games on reputation over record at the moment imo.

What we have got in our favour is that we will get the better players that come through in the next few drafts, its encouraging to note that the young 18 year olds that have been playing football since under 10's are the ones who are staring in the AFLW.
Those players who have been playing since they were really young and performing better than many of the more mature players who were late converts to the game.

Example just how good do Lewis and Bowen look...... add Franklin and Roberts to the list an we start putting together a decent forward line.

The AFLW administrators are currently facing a difficult and testing situation, whereby the gap between the new Clubs and the more established Clubs in vast and therefore we are getting pretty predictable and one sided results.
The Crows are pretty much a State side and represent all of South Australia.

TV audiences need good close games and an evenness of the competition and thats something that is currently missing.

Fremantle are going to remain stronger than us for a very long time if the current drafting rules and structures remain unchanged.
Even if we finish bottom and Fremantle win the Premiership, come draft time we get the first and third best WA prospect and they get the second and fourth.
The disparity in WA is not that much better in Victoria either.

Whats needed is that the new sides should be given access to more of the best prospects.

By example we should get the first three WA prospects and the Victorian new Clubs should have a round of draft picks and then be first of the rank in ascending order in the next full participation draft round.

If the AFLW want to garner better public support for all new teams, they need to get creative in implementing ways to accelerate the on field improvement, in the new sides.

I disagree. A team like freo and Adelaide even more are perfectly suited to capitalise. Whilst we may be s**t and get the top pick of WA talent, it’s not as though Freo aren’t getting a good player with the second choice...

I disagree. A team like freo and Adelaide even more are perfectly suited to capitalise. Whilst we may be sh*t and get the top pick of WA talent, it’s not as though Freo aren’t getting a good player with the second choice...

Thats not what I was proposing.

Reread my post, as it appears that you have missed the bit in my post, where I suggest that we get the first three picks in the WA draft before Fremantle get a pick- that being pick #4, if that was allowed for at least two years, then the on field performance gap in subsequent years would would narrow significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back