AFLW West Coast Women 2022 - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The new season is upon us, so a new thread has been created.

Going in with confidences we will build on our W/L ratio, praying we don't suffer any odd injuries, yes Dana looking at you.

They youth will provide some spark, very much looking forward to Charlie Thomas and Courtney Rowley running around in the Wings 2022

FIXTURE:

1638499165577.png

SQUAD:

https://www.womens.afl/teams/14/west-coast-eagles

1638499408231.png

Lets go Eagles!

Not as fun as 2023.....

Now that will be a Ella lot of fun :shoutyoldman:
Ella will be fun, no doubt, but need to make sure we don’t just put the feet up once we get her. There is plenty more to come that we need to latch onto…. Reidy, Wakfer, Henry, Raison, Bushby, Fish all to come in next few years. Can’t just think Ella is the messiah and can do it by herself, we need to keep evolving and Ella is gonna need help

Last edited:
Ella will be fun, no doubt, but need to make sure we don’t just put the feet up once we get her. There is plenty more to come that we need to latch onto…. Reidy, Wakfer, Henry, Raison, Bushby, Fish all to come in next few years. Can’t just think Ella is the messiah and can do it by herself, we need to keep evolving and Ella is gonna need help
How did Ella test today?

Hard to do much in a moon boot
Oh. She could probably be injured all year and it wouldn’t matter. I’m trying to think of a way that the dockers can nab her- maybe if she didnt play all year you guys would grab someone else before her . There’s a plan! Saw the west article and it said there was quite a bit of talent as well today so fingers crossed she slips to us.

The club will do all that.

Me as a fan. Nah she’s the Messiah 🤣

All jokes aside, quality names there. Stribley another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read that Ashleigh Reidy and Lauren Wakfer (both from South Freo) join Ella Roberts in the AFL academy meaning we should get Ella and at least 1 other elite talent next draft.

I have not seen Ashleigh or Lauren play. What position and how good are they.

I read that Ashleigh Reidy and Lauren Wakfer (both from South Freo) join Ella Roberts in the AFL academy meaning we should get Ella and at least 1 other elite talent next draft.

I have not seen Ashleigh or Lauren play. What position and how good are they.
I've seen more of Wakfer, good ruck/ forward with good athleticism, she was probably the second best performed ruck at the U19s champs this year just because she gets around the ground well and follows up strongly

I've seen more of Wakfer, good ruck/ forward with good athleticism, she was probably the second best performed ruck at the U19s champs this year just because she gets around the ground well and follows up strongly
Yep agree here with PMBangers

Ash Reidy I can’t give you too much AsterixTheGaul but is a highly skilled Half forward type. Played with Ella in the 2021 AFLW U19 tournament. Doesn’t look ridiculously quick but is evasive

EDIT: Quick research, she seesm to be named as Ash Little as well as Ash Reidy (??) on WAFL website. For the winless Sths played 10+ games for 2 goal 5 return

Both Wakfer & Reidy in the AFLW academy are from the winless Sths as well - an interesting point.

Last edited:
AFLW 2022: Emma Swanson, Dana Hooker, Mel Caulfield impress in West Coast Eagles intra-club

West Coast look set to boast one of the more dynamic midfields in the AFLW this season after several onballers stood out in Saturday’s intra-club practice match.

With round one a month away, the Eagles pitted two evenly matched sides against each other over several interrupted quarters.

With a lack of interchange available, West Coast called mini timeouts during quarters to give players a rest and also work with line coaches to embed the Eagles’ game plan under new coach Michael Prior.

Of several Eagles to impress under match pressure, captain Emma Swanson looks ready to lead from the front this season.
Reportedly the fittest and strongest she’s been since joining West Coast ahead of their inaugural season, the 26-year-old provided a physical presence at stoppages, tackled strongly, won clearances but also worked hard around the ground and reeled in several overhead marks.

Fellow onballer Dana Hooker also looks ready to pick up where she left off after managing just one match last season, driving her legs through congestion and winning the ball at stoppages.

Now in her second season at the club, Aisling McCarthy has only shared the field with Hooker once.

“I’m delighted she’s back to her best and flying fit. It’ll be like having a new player out there so we’re ready to unleash her in round one,” she said.

Mikayla Bowen resumed on the wing and worked tirelessly to create and finish chains of play, nabbing a few goals for her efforts.

Reigning best and fairest Bella Lewis went head-to-head with Hooker in the midfield and looks to have developed considerable poise with her disposal while prized draft selection Charlie Thomas started on the wing but also spent some time on ball.

Parris Laurie and draftee Sarah Lakay did battle in the ruck, Laurie edging ahead around the ground but Lakay’s vertical leap made it an intriguing battle at stoppages.

Add in forward turned midfielder Kellie Gibson, who was held out of the match alongside Grace Kelly, Tayla Bresland and Hayley Bullas, and the Eagles have a plethora of midfield options come round one.

“In the midfield, we have good synergy and we’re connecting between lines as well. Last year one of my priorities was to make those connections with teammates. I feel really at home here so now I can work on my footy,” McCarthy said.

“I think the competition for places will be hot coming into round one.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back