AFLW West Coast Women 2022 - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

"We almost had goal of the year today..."

Leigh, she didn't even SCORE mate. It literally dribbled out of bounds.

Enough with the over the top commentary.
*they, just FYI! :)

Didn’t watch live as I was in Freo watching the Academy 18s play

I am very very flat after that. Thought we had that locked away when Gibbo finally kicked her 1st goal.

Bella and Bowen are not winning the footy. McCarthy looks slow. Kelly girls not the same. Forward line is haphazard.

I’m very annoyed at this loss.

Didn’t watch live as I was in Freo watching the Academy 18s play

I am very very flat after that. Thought we had that locked away when Gibbo finally kicked her 1st goal.

Bella and Bowen are not winning the footy. McCarthy looks slow. Kelly girls not the same. Forward line is haphazard.

I’m very annoyed at this loss.
Why? With this gameplan, how could it have been different? Why is everyone blaming the players? I genuinely don't understand. If this gameplan persists, next season everyone will be complaining that Ella Roberts is a useless player too.

In women's footy in particular, bad gameplans turn good players into bad players. Put the blame where it belongs.

Why? With this gameplan, how could it have been different? Why is everyone blaming the players? I genuinely don't understand. If this gameplan persists, next season everyone will be complaining that Ella Roberts is a useless player too.

In women's footy in particular, bad gameplans turn good players into bad players. Put the blame where it belongs.
Why what?

We got to a good lead with little time left. GCS kicked 5 goals in half a qtr

Gameplan is arse.

Today is on the players. They stopped, thinking job was done.

Why what?

Gameplan is arse.

Fair enough. Problem is, though, bad coaching leads to low confidence, players stop trusting themselves because they can see it's not working, and they blame themselves (wrongly). From there, all kinds of collapses are possible, especially in a team unaccustomed to winning.
Adelaide (L)

St. Kilda …. Has to be a (W)
Will struggle to beat Saints playing like that. They don't move the ball well, but they can tackle. If Prior turns it into another four-quarter rugby maul, he'll be doing them a favour.
If we lose to St Kilda.... goodness gracious me oh boy wowee.

Can't exactly sack Prior either. Gone through too many coaches as it is.
It'll be up to the Eagles board to figure what's worse -- four coaches in four years, or sucking for four years straight with no sign of improvement. I reckon if he doesn't change the gameplan, he's out.

“For us to be successful and to get a few wins along the way we need everyone firing and we’re just not getting that at the moment.

“We’ve got a healthy list, we’ve got girls training who didn’t play today, they’ll be pushing for a spot, there’s pressure on for spots.

“A similar thing happened to us last week in the last quarter, we’re going to have to look at that, look at personnel, look at where we’re playing girls.

“We need to make a few tweaks.”

I'm not sure who'd you'd drop.

The whole team bar about 8 is just below average standard for AFLW footballers. I don't see any clear candidates that are any worse than the others though.

Thomas had 2 touches, but she's a high draft pick and can only get better, so might as well persist if we're going to be crap again.

Bella Lewis was poor again, but she is the future and just won our B&F so no chance.

Who else? Grace Kelly? Guard? Caufield had 3 touches with no tackles. That's about it really.

Rowley should be playing for exposure if anything. Can't be any worse than whoever she replaces. Whole team just isn't good enough, again.

I hate to tell you, it’s not just the coaches that are the issue. I’ve worked with almost a dozen womens footy players who have now become AFLW players and a lot of them just forget all about instructions once the ball gets bounced. Add to that three different game plans in three years and you’re just compounding the problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

season 1 nbc GIF by The Good Place

I'm not sure who'd you'd drop.

The whole team bar about 8 is just below average standard for AFLW footballers. I don't see any clear candidates that are any worse than the others though.

Thomas had 2 touches, but she's a high draft pick and can only get better, so might as well persist if we're going to be crap again.

Bella Lewis was poor again, but she is the future and just won our B&F so no chance.

Who else? Grace Kelly? Guard? Caufield had 3 touches with no tackles. That's about it really.

Rowley should be playing for exposure if anything. Can't be any worse than whoever she replaces. Whole team just isn't good enough, again.
Our problem is, most clubs, talented youngsters are icing on the cake, but for us, they are the cake, but they shouldn't be, they are literally just out of juniors.

Why what?

Gameplan is arse.

After their first couple in that run, we never looked like we could stop them. Getting over run looked frankly inevitable.

Another sign to me that its on the players is the number of dumb free kicks we give away, for the same things. Dropping on the ball or drag it in, getting tackled, lie there with your arms spread to show you dont have it, look shocked and stunned when its given as holding the ball. Just diving on the ball to smother it is amateur or junior level stuff, and I am pretty sure its not coaches instructions.

Another sign to me that its on the players is the number of dumb free kicks we give away, for the same things. Dropping on the ball or drag it in, getting tackled, lie there with your arms spread to show you dont have it, look shocked and stunned when its given as holding the ball. Just diving on the ball to smother it is amateur or junior level stuff, and I am pretty sure its not coaches instructions.

Yeah said the same thing a few pages ago.

Crazy, the amount of dumb free kicks we have been giving away.

I lost count of the amount of times an oppo player elected to NOT jump on the footy, only for a WCE player to come in second and dive on it, only to be instantly wrapped up and pinged. They'll then stand up with a bewildered look on their face to the umpire.

Contested work with an actual umpire at training pinging them for things like this might help.

The team of the week is all done on stats which doesn’t make sense for the backs. Those that take kick ins run out of the square and get a kick.
Smith has been very good but thought she was a major reason for the loss.

The team of the week is all done on stats which doesn’t make sense for the backs. Those that take kick ins run out of the square and get a kick.
Smith has been very good but thought she was a major reason for the loss.
Belinda Smith didn’t take a kick in.

Gooch 1
Tayla Bresland 2
Amber Ward 1

Smith got in because of 12 intercepts against a team who had 30 I50’s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back