AFLW West Coast Womens Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The buzz is real. Still kinda pinching myself that we actually landed Daisy.... The genuine excitement is so evident in all the girls.

I really hope the AFL pulls it's finger out and gives the league more games, having a longer season will bridge the gap between the best and worst in the league more than any other factor (IMO). I don't expect to get to a point where all teams play each other once immediately but surely an extra 2 rounds per season til we reach parity with the Men's isn't unreasonable or unattainable

When we had "2" seasons in one year we saw huge changes in development in some of the younger girls on the list.

Haven't they already locked in one additional match per season for the next few seasons and then possibly a season extension thereafter linked to attendance / viewership?

Haven't they already locked in one additional match per season for the next few seasons and then possibly a season extension thereafter linked to attendance / viewership?
"THE AFLW season will increase to 12 games in 2025, with the potential to increase to 14 matches by 2027, after a collective bargaining agreement was struck between the AFL and the players' union.

The landmark deal, which will cover both AFLW and AFL players for the first time in history, was announced on Thursday afternoon after months of negotiations between the League and the AFL Players' Association, and will run for five years until 2027.

AFLW players will also receive a 29 per cent pay rise, effective immediately. This will see the average AFLW player pay rise to $60,000 for the 2023 season, up from $46,000. It will rise to $82,000 by 2027.

The decision to lengthen the season to 14 matches by 2027 is dependent upon reaching "key audience metrics", a statement from the AFL Players' Association and the AFL outlined."

So actually only guaranteed to get 12 by 2025 which is still only 1 extra round a year, my personal opinion is that it's worth it to expedite player development and therefore game quality/standards by extending it now and investing ASAP. The players association is screaming for a bigger/proper season.

"B Charlie Thomas, Sophie McDonald
HB: Bella Smith, Annabel Johnson, Matilda Sergeant
C: Jess Rentsch, Alison Drennan, Jaide Britton
HF: Abbygail Bushby, Ella Roberts, Amy Franklin
F: Kellie Gibson, Roxy Roux
FOLL: Sarah Lakay, Emma Swanson, Isabella Lewis
I/C: Courtney Rowley, Dana Hooker, Lauren Wakfer, Mikayla Webb, Sasha Goranova*
*ACL injury

Depth: Georgie Cleaver, Emily Elkington, Evie Gooch, Jess Hosking, Kayley Kavanagh, Beth Schilling, Verity Simmons, Zoe Wakfer, Mikayla Western

Another club with significant change in recent months, new coach Daisy Pearce will no doubt take some time to find her best combination. Alison Drennan will effectively replace outgoing midfielder Aisling McCarthy, while promising draftee Jess Rentsch will offer plenty on the wing and pushing forward. Sasha Goranova holds a defensive role ahead of Evie Gooch and Jess Hosking because of her lockdown ability, but may take some time to return from an ACL injury. Meanwhile Georgie Cleaver will challenge Sarah Lakay for that physical ruck role, with Lauren Wakfer in support. Roxy Roux has an opportunity for a new start in the Eagles' forward line alongside fellow former-Dockers Kellie Gibson and Amy Franklin, with Ella Roberts expected to continue her damaging forward/midfield role."

"B Charlie Thomas, Sophie McDonald
HB: Bella Smith, Annabel Johnson, Matilda Sergeant
C: Jess Rentsch, Alison Drennan, Jaide Britton
HF: Abbygail Bushby, Ella Roberts, Amy Franklin
F: Kellie Gibson, Roxy Roux
FOLL: Sarah Lakay, Emma Swanson, Isabella Lewis
I/C: Courtney Rowley, Dana Hooker, Lauren Wakfer, Mikayla Webb, Sasha Goranova*
*ACL injury

Depth: Georgie Cleaver, Emily Elkington, Evie Gooch, Jess Hosking, Kayley Kavanagh, Beth Schilling, Verity Simmons, Zoe Wakfer, Mikayla Western

Another club with significant change in recent months, new coach Daisy Pearce will no doubt take some time to find her best combination. Alison Drennan will effectively replace outgoing midfielder Aisling McCarthy, while promising draftee Jess Rentsch will offer plenty on the wing and pushing forward. Sasha Goranova holds a defensive role ahead of Evie Gooch and Jess Hosking because of her lockdown ability, but may take some time to return from an ACL injury. Meanwhile Georgie Cleaver will challenge Sarah Lakay for that physical ruck role, with Lauren Wakfer in support. Roxy Roux has an opportunity for a new start in the Eagles' forward line alongside fellow former-Dockers Kellie Gibson and Amy Franklin, with Ella Roberts expected to continue her damaging forward/midfield role."

Author hasn’t caught up with the news of Rowley’s ACL. Or that Webb’s name is Mackenzie not Mikayla.

I’d have Western in the side over Britton, Zakfer over Sergeant, Gooch over Webb. Maybe Hosking on the bench for Rowley (inj), not sure who replaces Goranova - maybe Sergeant gets a reprieve.

Author hasn’t caught up with the news of Rowley’s ACL. Or that Webb’s name is Mackenzie not Mikayla.

I’d have Western in the side over Britton, Zakfer over Sergeant, Gooch over Webb. Maybe Hosking on the bench for Rowley (inj), not sure who replaces Goranova - maybe Sergeant gets a reprieve.
Yeah my sentiments exactly

No, all teams were selected on an all players being available basis. I think the long term injury players had an Asterix to show they were unavailable for the actual team.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

New West Coast Eagles women’s recruit Alison Drennan says her side is ready for a much-improved season built on heavy recruitment and culture buy-in from the playing group.

Drennan, 33, who is now at her fourth AFLW club, arrived at Mineral Resources Park during the off-season in a trade that saw the Eagles part ways with pick No.27 in the 2023 draft.

The Eagles will be desperate to improve after a disappointing tenure since their inception, having managed just eight wins across their first five seasons.

Speaking in Albany during the club’s Great Southern regional development tour, the former Gold Coast best and fairest winner said the club’s busy trade period would help them in a push for a finals berth.

“Recruiting hard this off-season has been really good,” Drennan said.

“We got Annabelle (Johnson) from Geelong and Jess Hosking from the Tigers as well, so it’s just gonna really add some experience and some talent to our group.

“We did well in the draft and also getting Daisy (Pearce) across as head coach, I think everybody’s ready to turn the corner and to change things around.

“I think we’ve got the talent to do it and it’ll be good having some super leadership to help us in that area.

“In the women’s competition, you can get really far in a really short time, so if we get wins on the board, we can make finals.

“We want people to be afraid to play us.”

The midfielder believes their tight-knit squad, which contains Great Southern talent Sophie McDonald and Belinda Smith, is heading in the right direction after a disappointing season when they finished 17th with two wins.

“Off field, we have a really good connection and just an amazing culture,” she said.

“I think it’ll be able to transfer on the field and from what I’ve seen, the foot skills are really good.

“I think just working in the contest part of the game will be really important and if we can work on that, will be really hard to beat.”

The Eagles visited the the Great Southern this week to host a junior talent identification session on Monday night at Retravision Stadium before running school clinics at Mt Manypeaks Primary School and Great Southern Grammar on Tuesday.

They finished their tour by hosting a development session that specifically focused on theory and practical elements of constructing training programs for women’s football coaches in the region on Tuesday evening.

Good for us but Freo also stand to be a beneficiary should more WA talent decide to stay home

Zippy Fish said to still be undecided on whether to nominate for the open pool

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good for us but Freo also stand to be a beneficiary should more WA talent decide to stay home

That's a change if she's undecided, previously we were hearing she'd definitely nominate nationally. Come on Daisy, you've got 11 months to become Zippy's best buddy, get to work.

That's a change if she's undecided, previously we were hearing she'd definitely nominate nationally. Come on Daisy, you've got 11 months to become Zippy's best buddy, get to work.

I know someone who's family has a close connection with her, and both father and daughter are still talking about nominating National Pool.

Things may change as the year progresses BUT at this stage she is telling those close to her that she is looking national.

If I hear of any change I will post accordingly.

Personally I'd like to see both WA teams in a position of strength. Hell, maybe the Daisy effect might net us a top talent from another state nominate WA for once instead of most of our best talents leaving WA.

can anyone tell me exactly how Academy signings/players work? i see how many Port raked in at the Draft and looked at our own and almost cried. Rosie ditched us for basketball and Bowen for the Cats. Maybe Rosie Deegan will come back to us at some stage but not sure she'll be worth it with the talent coming through over the next 4 years+

Has Bowen done much at the Cats yet? She was frustrating to watch. Win ball, give to oppo
ill be honest, i wasn't terribly sad to see her go. turnover machine. my point being that our Academy players haven't worked out well for us :(

Has Bowen done much at the Cats yet? She was frustrating to watch. Win ball, give to oppo
She's been Bowen, good contested winner, turns it over. Love the way shes goes about it, but yes, still a bit low on her disposal efficiency.

Did we know Swanny had surgery? I can’t remember.

Seen her on crutches, in a few promos etc, but didn’t knew the severity of the injury in true WCE style 👌🏽

Remove this Banner Ad

Back