AFLW West Coast Womens Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy with our haul, especially our first three picks. Somewhat concerned though at the state of women's football development in W.A and wonder where it stems from. 4 picks in the entire draft, same number as Eastern Ranges alone. Not one of this year's top ten in the Dhara Kerr Medal who nominated were picked up, yet the S.A clubs couldn't wait to get Piper Window. Clubs, including the W.A clubs who used 3 of 5 collective picks on interstate players, just don't seem to rate the W.A crop at the moment.

God damn, this is the most excited I've been about the team in ages. They finally listened and put the effort into our women's program.... Getting Daisy i honestly didn't think was realistic and we pulled it off. Our draft crop is 👍 and all of a sudden we have relevancy. Next 2-3 years are going to be a fun ride me thinks

Happy with our haul, especially our first three picks. Somewhat concerned though at the state of women's football development in W.A and wonder where it stems from. 4 picks in the entire draft, same number as Eastern Ranges alone. Not one of this year's top ten in the Dhara Kerr Medal who nominated were picked up, yet the S.A clubs couldn't wait to get Piper Window. Clubs, including the W.A clubs who used 3 of 5 collective picks on interstate players, just don't seem to rate the W.A crop at the moment.
I think that's ebbs and flows, not necessarily a systemic issue.

Young etc from SA seem to come mainly from natural talent, not superior development program, they just happened to have a bunch in 1 year.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

God damn, this is the most excited I've been about the team in ages. They finally listened and put the effort into our women's program.... Getting Daisy i honestly didn't think was realistic and we pulled it off. Our draft crop is and all of a sudden we have relevancy. Next 2-3 years are going to be a fun ride me thinks
The bigger issue is, they all stayed in SA, largely due to the concessions Port still has.

Whereas, the top 3 of WA, only 1 remained in WA.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would be nice to see or hear something from Kayley Kavanagh.

Not a peep from her yet.

She nominated for the National Draft so I hope she is all OK to head West.

Not a peep from her yet.

She's done a reverse Chesser. Halfway across the Pacific, by now.

Not a peep from her yet.

This is all so far

Smile seems genuine enough

Should be at least 8 picks from next year's draft, maybe more, including two in the top ten (and next year's draft nationally will be about twice as strong as this one). The year after that we could have 14 picks at least, including a big bunch in the first round (assuming they keep nominating nationally). The wave is just about to hit, check out the WAFLW next year, the best couple of players on nearly every team are 16/17.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be at least 8 picks from next year's draft, maybe more, including two in the top ten (and next year's draft nationally will be about twice as strong as this one). The year after that we could have 14 picks at least, including a big bunch in the first round (assuming they keep nominating nationally). The wave is just about to hit, check out the WAFLW next year, the best couple of players on nearly every team are 16/17.
Can 100% confirm this. And it won’t stop. I’m lucky enough to see the talent at 12/13 from some of the females coming through.

A name you all might be familiar with, Matera, is going to make heads turn should they continue along the football path. Absolutely talented, especially the youngest one.

And this is only the northern corridor.

Can 100% confirm this. And it won’t stop. I’m lucky enough to see the talent at 12/13 from some of the females coming through.

A name you all might be familiar with, Matera, is going to make heads turn should they continue along the football path. Absolutely talented, especially the youngest one.

Thats encouraging and excellent news, thanks guys for that input and update, much appreciated. :thumbsu:

Oh wow, Biggie said the 'M' word. I didn't know he had a daughter who played. Though I've often thought Zippy reminds me of him.

Of course, how many of those WA girls will end up playing for the Eagles, who knows? But the homesickness factor will draw a lot back from Eastern teams in time.

Nah not his, but related. Doesn’t matter, the girls can play.

Tbh it’s not about them playing for West Coast, I want WA to be a strong ground for female football.

And here is the position by age profile.

Much like the men's list, over 50% of the list will be 22 or under. Also stacking our midfield with the under 22's. Given the number of stoppages, rightfully so.

From the vision I saw of Kavanagh, she looks polished enough for me to call her a balanced midfielder. Loads of names still utility. Rentsch really looks like that impact player so it will be interesting to see where she ends up.

1702993073691.png

Hope you're right, would be fantastic to see. Certainly feels like some top shelf talent from W.A this time around was overlooked, for example Ruby Mahony, second in the Dhara Kerr and young but somehow not in the top 50 or so prospects nationally.

Having a great time this off-season

imexcited-bigkev.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back