West Coast worst list in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Yeo will provide the much needed assistance this year if he can stay injury free.
This was missing last year due to Yeo having an injury racked season.
I reckon Kelly will show us what hes got this year, fingers crossed.
I hope for the best with Yeo but i am not going to bank on any minimum level of return from him. Lets remember, he turns 30 this year, he has been chronically injured for 3 years, and he has played a role in the midfield that incurs physical hits and a toll on the body that usually means that those players playing that role have shorter careers and generally don't get far past 30 years of age. Daniel Kerr retired at 30 years old. Fyfe is 31 and has done very little for several years and appears to be on his last legs and Freo seem to be admitting his body won't allow him to play inside midfielder anymore so they are trying to play him forward.

I hope for the best with Yeo but i am not going to bank on any minimum level of return from him. Lets remember, he turns 30 this year, he has been chronically injured for 3 years, and he has played a role in the midfield that incurs physical hits and a toll on the body that usually means that those players playing that role have shorter careers and generally don't get far past 30 years of age. Daniel Kerr retired at 30 years old. Fyfe is 31 and has done very little for several years and appears to be on his last legs and Freo seem to be admitting his body won't allow him to play inside midfielder anymore so they are trying to play him forward.
Joel Selwood, Patrick Dangerfield, Smith, Guthrie etc all over 30 and you know what they did.
Everything is possible In all things AFL.
Let's turn that frown upside down.

Definitely the worst medical department in the competition bar none. What genius thought sending Ryan back on was a good idea? Who ticked McGovern off during the week after hammie issues?

How do these blokes still have a gig?

Nisbett. That’s how.

If we win less than 5 games this season do you think it's worth asking for a compensation pick? it's sad that it's come to that..

I looked at the fixture list ahead, there is a chance we might not win another game this season, we do play North late in the season at home but that's not even a lock anymore.

If we win less than 5 games this season do you think it's worth asking for a compensation pick? it's sad that it's come to that..

I looked at the fixture list ahead, there is a chance we might not win another game this season, we do play North late in the season at home but that's not even a lock anymore.
You're not getting compo off 2 bad seasons.

Languishing near the bottom of the ladder for the second year in a row you’d have to say as of right now, our list blows. But things can change pretty quick.
Not having access to the pointy end of the draft for so long was always going to come with consequences - and that is now we are going to have to be patient until these new recruits get a couple of seasons under their belts before we can see what we actually have. For next season I picture our b22 looking something like …

FB: Witherden - Barrass - Bazzo
HB: Jones - McGovern - Duggan
C: Chesser - Kelly - Hunt
HF: Cripps - Darling - Long
FF: Ryan - Allen - Waterman
R: Williams - Ginbey - Sheed

I: Hough - Hewett - Culley - SPS

E: HEdwards - LEdwards - Jamieson - Burgiel - Cole - Petrucelle - Rotham - Gaff

Reserves: Barnett - JWilliams - Baker - Dewar

If we can manage to get something close to this on the park next year we’ll be competitive most weeks. The bones are there we just have to get them fit and healthy.

Ive left out Nic & Yeo (bonus if they’re fit), while assuming Hurn and Shuey have retired.

Any of those emergencies should be able to come in and contribute if called upon, anyone not listed I don’t think they’re AFL standard and im hoping gets the chop at the end of the year (8 players)

Throw in a couple of high draft picks into the 22, a Dev Robertson, maybe Georgiades too and it’s a very different team to the one we’ve been trotting out for the last couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Languishing near the bottom of the ladder for the second year in a row you’d have to say as of right now, our list blows. But things can change pretty quick.
Not having access to the pointy end of the draft for so long was always going to come with consequences - and that is now we are going to have to be patient until these new recruits get a couple of seasons under their belts before we can see what we actually have. For next season I picture our b22 looking something like …

FB: Witherden - Barrass - Bazzo
HB: Jones - McGovern - Duggan
C: Chesser - Kelly - Hunt
HF: Cripps - Darling - Long
FF: Ryan - Allen - Waterman
R: Williams - Ginbey - Sheed

I: Hough - Hewett - Culley - SPS

E: HEdwards - LEdwards - Jamieson - Burgiel - Cole - Petrucelle - Rotham - Gaff

Reserves: Barnett - JWilliams - Baker - Dewar

If we can manage to get something close to this on the park next year we’ll be competitive most weeks. The bones are there we just have to get them fit and healthy.

Ive left out Nic & Yeo (bonus if they’re fit), while assuming Hurn and Shuey have retired.

Any of those emergencies should be able to come in and contribute if called upon, anyone not listed I don’t think they’re AFL standard and im hoping gets the chop at the end of the year (8 players)

Throw in a couple of high draft picks into the 22, a Dev Robertson, maybe Georgiades too and it’s a very different team to the one we’ve been trotting out for the last couple of years.
This puts the rebuild in perspective. Things can actually turn pretty quickly depending on how soon the youngsters take to perform. I remember how s**t our list was at the end of 2008 but by the start of 2011 we had the following guys recruited over the down years and playing roles that turned it all around: JK, Nic Nat, Shuey, Darling, Gaff, Masten, Ebert, Selwood.

It can turn quicker than you think once the talent is on the books. Looking at your teamlist, the midfield is where it is still weakest. If we can add Dev Robertson to give a bit of hardness then it should let the young guys shine, with Kelly, Sheed, Dev and Hunt doing some of the hard lifting.

Honestly the injuries kill us. Im surprised we actually are this bad. With our home advantage we should never be lower than 14, Freo too.
We can get our hands on the ball.

The quantity of ball in hand is there.

There's little quality.

Most stats say we are up there with oppo with actually getting it but the disposal and decision making and just blind panic is what kills us.

Guess thats experience, bigger bodies etc

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We can get our hands on the ball.

The quantity of ball in hand is there.

There's little quality.

Most stats say we are up there with oppo with actually getting it but the disposal and decision making and just blind panic is what kills us.

Guess thats experience, bigger bodies etc
We have like 15 players out. No team is able to replace that with any reasonable success.
No point in analysis of a 22 that should have never actually made it on the park together

Why do we suck?

A rough breakdown of our list into four groups. Lots of kids, few players in their prime, and important players impacted heavily by injury over the last 24 months. The middle of our list has been less impacted by the injury crisis.

A worst-case scenario whereby the young kids haven't been playing much and when they have the senior playing group at both levels has been heavily diluted.

* Journeymen and C-Grade cross over obviously not cut and dry.

Senior Players
  • Naitanui (injured)
  • McGovern (injured)
  • Shuey (injured)
  • Hurn
  • Cripps (injured)
  • Darling (now injured)
  • Gaff

Prime Career:
  • Kelly
  • Allen (injured)
  • Ryan (injured)