Club Focus West Coast 2020 - Langdon, Withered, Edwards, Winder, Trew

AFL Club Focus

What is the priority at West Coast this off-season?

• Recruiting via trade

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Re-signing free agents

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Going to the draft

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast club focus
So if WC came knocking at Geelong and wanted one of your three first-rounders, with our 2021 first-rounder on the table, what do you reckon would be doable? Straight swap for 16/17, which are basically your first-rounder this year and our first-rounder which was part of the Kelly deal.

How about the mid-round GC compo pick, which is 11?

I think it also depends how many selections teams want to make this year, given they will already be cutting lists.

Let's say Geelong only want to make three selections this year. Sure, you've got three first-rounders, but then your second-rounder (about 35) may be vonsidered surplus. In light of that, maybe it makes sense to roll over one of those first-rounders to 2021 and still take two first-rounders and that pick 35 this year, with an extra first-rounder up your sleeve for next season.
I would swap Richmonds 2020 1st pick for Eagles 1st in 2021 if i was doing the deal

2021 Draft is stronger according to whats being reported plus this years kids in melbourne have had no exposure so possible to get a good kid deeper
why would eagles do it

I would swap Richmonds 2020 1st pick for Eagles 1st in 2021 if i was doing the deal

2021 Draft is stronger according to whats being reported plus this years kids in melbourne have had no exposure so possible to get a good kid deeper
why would eagles do it
Surely Richmond would need to sweeten it slightly beyond a straight swap?

Yeah really don't think their midfield is a weakness at all.

Our starting midfield isn’t a weakness - our depth is though - wjich is what a previous poster mentioned

we have no talent younger than dom sheed coming through that screams succession

We have great depth in talls, defenders and even small forwards (albeit they are being cruelled at present)

Midfield definitely needs bolstering

Seems likely WC won't do much this off-season. No FAs that would suit and our required players are signed up, with the potential exception of Gaff.

I can't even identify any young WA kids we could try to shake loose for unders.

Instead we wait with bated breath for an intriguing pick swap. Thrilling stuff.

All the more reason to try to trade back into the first round of this year's draft.

Next year's draft is less compromised so teams trading into 2021 would have to pay more. I'd trade you for example your 2020 R1 back + pick 35 for your 1st next year if you'd do it.

I doubt west coast do such a trade in advance though you'd only do it on the night if it gets to say 15 and a player you are targeting is available-that way you know what you are trading for.

Just on our talls - quite surprised no one has come for our talls

theres no way we can be paying them all what their worth

I imagine people will and you want to hang onto them given the age of some of your spine players. Obviously Allen would be unlikely to move but brander and Williams (in particular the latter given the lack of rucks in this draft) would have interest among club's. Obviously given Kennedy is 32 you might want to keep them though. Williams is the interesting one you probably want him for post nicnat but rucks can be easily got in trades so you could replace him that way later..if you want to trade back into the draft do you try and cash in on him now while he has currency?

Next year's draft is less compromised so teams trading into 2021 would have to pay more. I'd trade you for example your 2020 R1 back + pick 35 for your 1st next year if you'd do it.

I doubt west coast do such a trade in advance though you'd only do it on the night if it gets to say 15 and a player you are targeting is available-that way you know what you are trading for.
That could appeal, depending where that pick lands and where some of those WA kids are likely to go. If WC get bundled out in week one it would be decent.

That could appeal, depending where that pick lands and where some of those WA kids are likely to go. If WC get bundled out in week one it would be decent.

I think it's a reasonable gamble..next year's draft pick 15 is probably worth more but as you are in a window getting a player in a year early plus an extra R2 is worth that gamble that you don't fall down the ladder next year and your future R1is in the teens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any activity would likely be fringe player out for fringe needs based player or picks. Even then, nobody seems to be actively keen to leave even in our Victorian contingent.

I suspect some clubs will sniff around Brander and Williams but in the case of Brander especially it would be selling at a loss at this point, even though I haven't been that excited with his performance this year.

Any activity would likely be fringe player out for fringe needs based player or picks. Even then, nobody seems to be actively keen to leave even in our Victorian contingent.

I suspect some clubs will sniff around Brander and Williams but in the case of Brander especially it would be selling at a loss at this point, even though I haven't been that excited with his performance this year.
I reckon we should trade next year's first-rounder to get back into this year's first round.

So the Eagles 2020 1st that Geelong have from the Kelly trade + 35 for the Eagles 2021 1st?

I'd do that for sure.

Eagles then have say pick 15 + 35 + two 3rd rounders (ex Kelly trade) in 2020.

Use pick 15 + 35 to trade into the top 10 this year with a club who needs to move down the order due to a NGA or FS bid points.

So the Eagles 2020 1st that Geelong have from the Kelly trade + 35 for the Eagles 2021 1st?

I'd do that for sure.

Eagles then have say pick 15 + 35 + two 3rd rounders (ex Kelly trade) in 2020.

Use pick 15 + 35 to trade into the top 10 this year with a club who needs to move down the order due to a NGA or FS bid points.

I'd do that I figure if you finish similar ladder wise next year it's 15 for 15 but next year's draft is better..35 is a reasonable enough price to pay for that.

I don't think 15 and 35 gets you into the top 10 though club's will want more but 15 still probably gets you a good player.

Do you think you guys will try and trade out players for picks this year or will it be a quiet year?

I'd do that I figure if you finish similar ladder wise next year it's 15 for 15 but next year's draft is better..35 is a reasonable enough price to pay for that.

I don't think 15 and 35 gets you into the top 10 though club's will want more but 15 still probably gets you a good player.

Do you think you guys will try and trade out players for picks this year or will it be a quiet year?

By top 10 I'm thinking 8 9 or 10.

All depends on the points club's are chasing.

The feeling is we won't be very active with player trades.

Pick trades definitely. Do we look to get back into the 1st and or 2nd round this year?

Yes.

If we finish outside the top 4 this year, we should definitely look at something like this, given we should be backing ourselves to finish top 4 next year. I'd happily roll those dice given the chance to draft a WA kid in this year's 10-20 range and the additional sweetener of another pick in the 30s.

Just on our talls - quite surprised no one has come for our talls

theres no way we can be paying them all what their worth

Waterman would be an interesting trade proposition I reckon. As that undersized key forward he will forever be behind Darling and Allen at the Eagles. It would make sense for him to look for more opportunity elsewhere but being F/S most likely isn't going to push for it.

Brander has gone from "untouchable" to no one would touch at the likely Eagles asking price based on his exposed form.

Waterman would be an interesting trade proposition I reckon. As that undersized key forward he will forever be behind Darling and Allen at the Eagles. It would make sense for him to look for more opportunity elsewhere but being F/S most likely isn't going to push for it.
Waterman is versatile enough to play as a tallish utility. Like Andrew Embley. Nominally you could pick him on a wing and then have him work up and back depending on what you need. I consider Waterman to be best 22 already so I'm not sure "more opportunity" is going to be that much of a carrot unless he is determined to play at FF, which I'm not sure is the case. I think he could play a similar role to someone like Tom Lynch did when the Crows were up and about. He's a good size but it's also his running ability that makes him useful.

Brander has gone from "untouchable" to no one would touch at the likely Eagles asking price based on his exposed form.
He's more a victim of being played out of position than Waterman.

WC will likely lose Kennedy in the next 12 months. It's not surprising they're eager to keep some extra talls up their sleeve for that day.

Last edited:
Back