West Coasters Flag Prospects 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

... I’m not saying you can’t have an observation, just a really strange observation to make that has nothing to do with how badly West Coast finished 2019 or their predictions for 2020.
Richmond finished poorly in 2018 and WC finished poorly in 2019. Thats footy and 2020 is still to come. For what it is worth i think neither will figure in 2020 but both will be in the 8. The only thing that is certain is that what goes up must come down and next year is Richmonds turn. This is proven again and again.

Richmond finished poorly in 2018 and WC finished poorly in 2019. Thats footy and 2020 is still to come. For what it is worth i think neither will figure in 2020 but both will be in the 8. The only thing that is certain is that what goes up must come down and next year is Richmonds turn. This is proven again and again.

In Richmond’s last 4 games in 2018 they were 3-1

In West Coasts last 4 games in 2018 they were 1-3.

Not really fair to compare Richmond’s bad night against Collingwood in ‘18 with West Coast struggling for the past month of the 2019 season. Very different circumstances & in no way can be used to suggest that West Coast will improve on 5th/6th in 2020.

In Richmond’s last 4 games in 2018 they were 3-1

In West Coasts last 4 games in 2018 they were 1-3.

Not really fair to compare Richmond’s bad night against Collingwood in ‘18 with West Coast struggling for the past month of the 2019 season. Very different circumstances & in no way can be used to suggest that West Coast will improve on 5th/6th in 2020.
Agreed, but neither took home the cookie's and, for mine, neither were good enough to win the Granny because, well, they didn't. Everything else becomes irrelevant and we reset into 2020. I personally feel it is not good for the game if the powerhouse clubs always win and would love to see a minnow club like Freo or St Kilda win it.

Agreed, but neither took home the cookie's and, for mine, neither were good enough to win the Granny because, well, they didn't. Everything else becomes irrelevant and we reset into 2020. I personally feel it is not good for the game if the powerhouse clubs always win and would love to see a minnow club like Freo or St Kilda win it.

collingwood were the better team in the prelim but its quite common to have one bad game here and there

Fyfe never ‘went’ to freo. He was given a poison chalice and cursed to Fremantle.

All Eagles need to worry about is not getting to far in front of themselves.
Eagles have bigger challenges and more to worry about than their perceived threat - Richmond. Tigers are in a blessed position right now with list depth that when everyone is fit and firing others look with envy. We have far less to worry about.
Teams are working out McGovern and his influence can decline markedly if chopped out of games. Kennedy is a champ and back him in but you need him and darling firing together to create havoc and plenty of fodder for Ryan. If Kennedy struggles so will the Eagles. Kelly is the bonus that may just equalise any deficiencies. Being spoon fed by natanui could see games played for fun and record inside 50s. The trap is thinking Kelly will solve any worries and automatically put you in contention for a flag or be flag favourites. And will nicnat stay fit. He’s good for tap work and bursts of good footy but to unreliable around the ground. You would hope he stays on the park.
Otherwise, always be wary of getting to far in front of yourselves and think everything is hunky dory because you have Kelly.

Out on a limb I think you miss top 4.
No chance top 4 for sure with or without nic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol a couple 5 hour flights every 2 weeks for 6 months of the year is somehow hard on your body?? give me a break... My grandad was in the army and then worked as an electrician with 20 of those years doing FIFO work in the mines. Hes 86 now and still goes for walks along the beach every day
Vic team supporters sure do recognise that its hard when they fly west:

QUOTE ="Jukesy85, post: 57057397, member: 174912"]Getting an extra two days break and Hawthorn having to fly back from Perth while we haven’t left Etihad since the 14th will be a huge advantage (I don’t even know why this was allowed in the fixturing in the first place).

But knowing us and having the advantage, we’ll probably screw it up and lose after such a promising few months. Absolutely have to win this to make finals so they better be fired up, don’t deserve to play finals if we can’t beat the Hawks[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE ="Guardian Hawk, post: 57057729, member: 8642"]Not sure it is that even. It looks to be the case on the ladder but Essendon now are not the same rabble from the start of the year.
A ladder of the last 10 weeks would actually have Essendon sitting on top of the ladder. Meanwhile, Hawthorn have only been beating the bottom teams lately (and even then losing to the likes of Brisbane at home).

Add to that your pace (Hawthorn's biggest kryptonite), 2 fewer days break and Hawthorn returning from Perth, Essendon deserve to be warm favourites.

Really hope we can win though as your mob is the only team I genuinely can't stand. I doubt there'll be any actual fights as no one will risk getting suspended at this time of the year.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE ="MowShow, post: 57065321, member: 131541"]Trying to be optimistic but honestly can't see us getting within 5 goals of the bombers here..

I think our average form in recent times has been largely masked by our draw - i.e. recent big wins have people thinking we are playing at a higher level than we actually are, but they have been against freo, carlton, gold coast, the dogs etc. To be fair (from memory) the lions are the only team that has really got a hold of us this season. But my point is its pretty hard to get a read on our form.

On the other hand, the bombers have been really impressive lately. Aside from a couple of games without Fantasia they have looked hot. Sicily and Howe are 2 important players for us and coming off a 6 day break back from Perth, I can see them opening us up with their speed (which is an issue for us at the best of times).

Also can't see us being able to kick a winning score against the Bomber's defense, particularly with their style of play which will likely lead to them scoring in the ball park of 100.

Bombers by 38.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE ="StillAtLarge, post: 57076992, member: 162586"]The only reason Essendon are favourites is because they'll have 2 days extra prep and didn't play in Perth last round. I dare say we would be slight favourites otherwise.
And no, I'm not getting my excuses in early. We don't appear to be carrying any crocked players and seemed to coast through the last quarter v freo with this game in mind so if we're good enough- we'll win.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE ="Godzke, post: 57078655, member: 79677"]Players saw the difference after half time against Sydney when you lower the eyes when entering 50. Important we continue to look for the shorter lead up targets rather than kicking to a pack and hoping a small crumbs it. Particularly important against a team that ranks highly for i50s but lowly for clearances.

Extra two break and not flying back from Perth should mean we run out this game better than Hawthorn. Relatively dry conditions predicted, which also bodes in our favour.[/QUOTE]

There is a school of thought that some people only follow Freo because they couldn't go along and watch WC in the 90s and early 2000s. I get it, if I was a 7 year old kid again and wanted to go to my first game of footy and there were two teams but one was always sold out then I'd probably have gone to watch Freo (did plenty of times later with friends who got tickets through working for the club but was already an Eagles fan). In the early days plenty of people actually from Fremantle who were Sth/East Freo supporters in the WAFL jumped off WC to support the Dockers. That doesn't happen now, people pick their side for whatever reason and WAFL ties aren't strong with the younger generations.

These days there is heaps of media coverage (you can forget about going and just get Kayo for $25 and watch all games if that's your thing) and some GA tickets set aside for all WC/Freo games. Plus Freo's membership isn't capped out so you can become a Freo member if that's your team. I'm with you, there isn't really a groundswell of support in Perth for some team that isn't WC or Freo. Over time it would build an identity and people would support it but there's no obvious reason to have one. With Freo now based 20km South of the city and WC a few km E/SE you could base a team in the North like West Perth are in Joondalup and hope to build a support base from community engagement but if you polled that region now on AFL club support you'd probably get something like 60 WC, 30 Freo, 10 other anyway. Perth doesn't have a Western Sydney equivalent which is a non footy area.
If you were putting a team in joondalup you would Have to call it manchester united (southern hemisphere) To make it topical

Except he is Australian and is it commonly referred to as his ‘home’ Grand Prix. Who will get the most support.
You blokes want it both ways. Your eagle mate used an erroneous example wrapped in tissue paper.
You claimed F1 is not team based, yet there it is in black and white.
So tell me how a Nadal, Federer or Djokovic can internationally acclaimed tournaments whilst not sleeping in their own beds. Having to fly from all points of the globe, acclimatise and get your internal clock in sync.
Can’t remember the last time I heard a tennis player or fan whinge that the French Open is always played at Roland Garros. It’s not fair, boo hoo.
You see that is what professionals do.
Then you produce hypotheticals on woulda, coulda and shoulda. All the while trying to twist arguments to suit yourselves.
Keep it up, great to read and get a chuckle. I fair dinkum reckon the eagles players would cringe reading your futile arguments. Embarrassed even.
Continue on....
Yeah but what if all the rounds of each countries comp including finals and semi finals were played in the country the comp comes from then the grand final always played in australia.

Thats the reality of this comp.

Id love to start a post on the biggridiron equiv in the us and explain how our home and away works with our gf - and have you guys list your pathetic justifications as to why thats fair

When theyd all finally finished laughing.....

Last edited:
Where was it that West Coast fell down last year?
Round 1 would be a start.

Hunger just never seemed to be there all year.

Games we lost by a few points that wed have gutted out and won the year before. All year i thought it’ll come at the end we are just building but when we lost to hawks at home i knew we werent going far.

Round 1 proved to be an away loss to a top 2 side.

It was the home loss to Collingwood that was the fatal blow. A game we normally should close out, and we were comfortably in front in the third quarter, before we just stopped and lost by 1 point.

Every bad result after that reflected the lack of consistency, especially that Hawthorn loss.

So more a.mental attitude (understandable post flag) issue than structural issues?

Yep, it was all about the hunger. We saw glimpses - Collingwood away, GWS, second derby, 1st quarter against Richmond - but they lacked the mental toughness to close out games and snatch games we had no right to win. The only key player we lost in 2019 was LeCras and he was replaced easily enough (edit - forgot Lycett, was a big blow especially with Naitanui's continuing issues).

With Kelly this year and only Hurn and Kennedy the only essential players on the wrong side of 30 only injuries and whether they want it enough can keep us out of top 4 imo.

I would say WC has a very strong chance of winning the flag with Nic Nac back and Kelly into the team. Barring serious injuries to key players they are looking good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back