West Coasters Flag Prospects 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

That last Hawks home game hurt your season and the Rioli fiasco was the fatal derailing blow.

Arguably if one of those situations didnt play out, the Eagles season would have progressed further.
I had never been so confident in the lead up to a semi final before and had the Willie s**t not happened I'm certain we'd have beaten them, hell we were in front at three quarter time with all that emotional baggage of a good mate in trouble over our heads, and our poor start, imagine how we'd have been free from that.

However the Hawks loss ended our season for sure, even if we got past Geelong I doubt we'd have beaten the tigers at the G in a prelim.

I had never been so confident in the lead up to a semi final before and had the Willie s**t not happened I'm certain we'd have beaten them, hell we were in front at three quarter time with all that emotional baggage of a good mate in trouble over our heads, and our poor start, imagine how we'd have been free from that.

However the Hawks loss ended our season for sure, even if we got past Geelong I doubt we'd have beaten the tigers at the G in a prelim.

The timing of Rioli' suspension was also very interesting. I think if the Eagles had a few days more, they could have used it to spur them on, instead it had its desired effect of stunning the players.

True, while you probably may have not got passed the Tigers, you would have arrived in a prelim with a chance. Just like how the GWS had no chance against the Pies.

The club found out only hours before the public I believe. Hence Petruccelle being rushed over.

Still, you're right it's a bit of a cop out and by no means a complete excuse for our performance in the SF. But less than ideal preparation for a do or die final.
My point is I think the Eagles performance in the SF was reflective of their round 23 performance against the Hawks as well as several other performances this year - including twice against a pretty ordinary Melbourne side - when they played in fits and spurts with either individuals on the system spluttering. Would've helped to have Rioli but I got the feeling they were always going to lose a final like that this year. The way they came charging back at the Cats then faded away meekly was about more than Rioli IMO.

Yes Kelly took Geelong to premiership glory so should work for West Coast
No one, besides Geelong fans, would think Geelong have a better chance of winning next years flag than West Coast.

WC just don't have a weakness across any line, and they're only stronger now with Kelly

Get on em! Back them now. 92, 94, 2006, 2018 an 2020. Numbers end in 2, 4, 6, 8 and 0. Either it's next year or 12 years. My money's on next year. That's where TK has put his coin too!
Probably the 2 favourites at the moment would be Richmond and the Eagles. Richmond doesn't have as big a home ground advantage and doesn't get to play all of it's home games at it's home ground. It also doesn't get the same compensation for free agents. So it would certainly appear that the AFL is trying to manufacture another premiership for the Eagles next year, like it tried and failed this year.
Like this year, next year Richmond are going to have to be better than the Eagles if they are to be an even chance against them.

Probably the 2 favourites at the moment would be Richmond and the Eagles. Richmond doesn't have as big a home ground advantage and doesn't get to play all of it's home games at it's home ground. It also doesn't get the same compensation for free agents. So it would certainly appear that the AFL is trying to manufacture another premiership for the Eagles next year, like it tried and failed this year.
Like this year, next year Richmond are going to have to be better than the Eagles if they are to be an even chance against them.
I know it’s tough for the Tigers, having to play 80% of your games on two familiar, local grounds. That extra 5mins to get to Etihad is a killer!

Aren't you the poster that posted in the Eagles board complaining that we weren't appropriately appreciative your flag success this year?

Found it. Insecure much?

At the risk of earning a day off, I'm going to toss a truth bomb here.
You get to play all of your 11 home games at your home ground. Richmond play 10.
Of your 11 home games, 1 of them is a neutral game with no home ground advantage.
Of Richmonds 10 home games , 5 of them are neutral games with no home ground advantage.
Of the remaining teams we play at home, they play 3 to 6 games a year at our home ground. So even when we do have a home ground advantage, it is nowhere near yours.
When Eagles lose a player to free agency you get a full band higher compensation for a player offered a similar contract.
Not to mention that AFL introduced 3 new rules this year specifically designed to "Bring Richmond back to the field"
Richmond developed it's current team when the AFL were giving away almost all first round picks to interstate clubs, despite Richmond being clearly the worst club in the AFL (in 2010 commentators were predicting we would win a single game for 2 years) When an interstate club (Gold Coast) is in a similar, but not even as bad position as Richmond were, the AFL gives them multiple first round priority picks and a raft of other concessions.

The reason that some Tigers come on here is because some of us find it mildly amusing that you're the ones whinging. Your heads would explode if the AFL treated you like Richmond.
Richmond's recent premierships are amongst the hardest earned in the entire history of our game. Any disputing that fact is just delusional denial of the demonstrably obvious.

Geelong didn't even get close to the flag with Kelly when the whips were cracking.

Let's just wait and see first shall we?
They got closest to the eventual premiers and Kelly was BOG so that says a fair bit about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond are clearly the best side in the league and probably have been for 3 years. They are well drilled and highly skilled and their manic pressure on the ball carrier is what sets them apart from the rest.
The Eagles like all other clubs have to find a way to adapt their own game plan to be able to handle that type of pressure and also match it in response.
Kelly helps our midfield no doubt about it, but we have to address our one on one contests and most importantly find a way to be better than your opponents when your not having your best day. We cave very easily sometimes for some reason.
Richmond easily favourite at this point.

My point is I think the Eagles performance in the SF was reflective of their round 23 performance against the Hawks as well as several other performances this year - including twice against a pretty ordinary Melbourne side - when they played in fits and spurts with either individuals on the system spluttering. Would've helped to have Rioli but I got the feeling they were always going to lose a final like that this year. The way they came charging back at the Cats then faded away meekly was about more than Rioli IMO.
I see, fair enough.

No one, besides Geelong fans, would think Geelong have a better chance of winning next years flag than West Coast.

WC just don't have a weakness across any line, and they're only stronger now with Kelly

Not true - we have a number of weaknesses.

The biggest of which is team balance caused by highly capable players having some deficiencies and requiring the team to set up too tall.

Typical sarcastic attitude from the east. #aflnotthevfl

I know it’s tough for the Tigers, having to play 80% of your games on two familiar, local grounds. That extra 5mins to get to Etihad is a killer!
Also harder to play there cos it's indoors and has had a name change!!

I was hoping it was going to be a WCE Tigers GF this year. Two best teams in my view and a battle of opposing gamestyles. WCE seemed to be the best at executing the gameplan that Richmond find the most troubling, ie the kick, mark, retain possession plan that denies the Tigers their main scoring avenue - turnover from pressure game. For whatever reason WCE seemed to be less consistent in their execution this year. Think they need to find a way to maintain a defensive structure that can defend when there is a turnover if they can't lift their kick mark retain possession consistency.

I was hoping it was going to be a WCE Tigers GF this year. Two best teams in my view and a battle of opposing gamestyles. WCE seemed to be the best at executing the gameplan that Richmond find the most troubling, ie the kick, mark, retain possession plan that denies the Tigers their main scoring avenue - turnover from pressure game. For whatever reason WCE seemed to be less consistent in their execution this year. Think they need to find a way to maintain a defensive structure that can defend when there is a turnover if they can't lift their kick mark retain possession consistency.

Maybe next year we can have that showdown? Hopefully the AFL schedule to play us twice next year.

Aren't you the poster that posted in the Eagles board complaining that we weren't appropriately appreciative your flag success this year?
Just demonstrating that every club has it's own unique challenges and benefits. This was in response to the infernal whinging and bad sportsmanship from some Eagles supporters (probably a very vocal minority).

Just demonstrating that every club has it's own unique challenges and benefits. This was in response to the infernal whinging and bad sportsmanship from some Eagles supporters (probably a very vocal minority).

You ventured onto the Eagles board to post that.

Like I said, insecure much?

Enjoy the flag mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back