West Coasters Flag Prospects 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

You know deep down that both the pros and cons of both teams pretty much even themselves out.

Pretty much eh :
- so the advantage the Eagles is playing travelling teams on 10 occasions, the disadvantage is being the travelling team also on 10 occasions.
- travel time a disadvantage
- recovery a disadvantage
- 12 games in Perth
- max of 11 home games for membership $s

How do you see the pros & cons of the MCG tenants, specifically the Tiges for the exercise.

lol a couple 5 hour flights every 2 weeks for 6 months of the year is somehow hard on your body?? give me a break... My grandad was in the army and then worked as an electrician with 20 of those years doing FIFO work in the mines. Hes 86 now and still goes for walks along the beach every day

lol a couple 5 hour flights every 2 weeks for 6 months of the year is somehow hard on your body?? give me a break... My grandad was in the army and then worked as an electrician with 20 of those years doing FIFO work in the mines. Hes 86 now and still goes for walks along the beach every day
SIGH!!!

I worked in Sydney FIFO of Perth, home every 2nd week for a bit under 12 months . It does take a toll, particularly when you arent 100%. Time zones are a separate issue.
I got paid accordingly, but thats a different matter.
Your Grandads adventures, good on him, FIFO in the 70s, a trendsetter. My bro was living in Newman, Hedland, thru that time, a fridgy mate, wife & 2 kids lived in Pannawonica in the 70s.

Who's making excuses? The Eagles know what is needed and the challenges.

Just pointing out the obvious. Its a much more difficult competion for interstate clubs especially those based in the West who spend hundreds more hours a season flying and travelling than Melbourne based clubs.

If you dont think some clubs based in Melbourne dont get a massive advantage from significantly reduced travel loads you need to read more, open both eyes and engage the brain.
i never heard Brisbane complain 2001-2004...they just went about the business of winning...they didnt complain about playing Collingwood at theyre home ground ????..also those hawthorn & collingwood sides that had to go over west and knock yas off in the late 80's early 90's on theyre way to winning flags..
they were just to good for everybody anywhere

Last edited:
i never heard Brisbane complain 2001-2004...they just went about the business of winning...they didnt complain about playing Collingwood at theyre home ground ????..also those hawthorn & collingwood sides that had to go over west and knock yas off in the late 80's early 90's on theyre way to winning flags..

Or perhaps the Brisbane threepeat happened in spite of the disadvantages?

Sure, they beat Collingwood and Essendon three times in that run but when they had to travel for a 'home' prelim in 2004 you could argue that was a bridge too far. Since 2004, interstate sides have only won 2 out of 8 Grand Finals against a Victorian side, both of them by under two goals.

Or perhaps the Brisbane threepeat happened in spite of the disadvantages?

Sure, they beat Collingwood and Essendon three times in that run but when they had to travel for a 'home' prelim in 2004 you could argue that was a bridge too far. Since 2004, interstate sides have only won 2 out of 8 Grand Finals against a Victorian side, both of them by under two goals.
they well and truly got screwed on having that home prelim taken away from them in 2004...fremantle were every chance in '13...i felt when shuey didnt handball to that team mate in the better position in the opening minutes of '15 it sealed your fate on that day...that was purely selfish...he has redeemed himself since then of course

they well and truly got screwed on having that home prelim taken away from them in 2004...fremantle were every chance in '13...i felt when shuey didnt handball to that team mate in the better position in the opening minutes of '15 it sealed your fate on that day...that was purely selfish...he has redeemed himself since then of course

Even if I accept your 2013 and 2015 arguments you're still missing 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2019.

Even if I accept your 2013 and 2015 arguments you're still missing 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2019.
one word....BULLDOGS....2016 rd 23 FLY TO PERTH....1st week of finals(next game)....FLY TO PERTH....2nd week PLAY HAWTHORN ON HAWTHORNS HOME GROUND
3rd week FLY TO SYDNEY...end of story...good enuff to win anywhere anytime...CASE CLOSED

everyteam thats won the flag has deserved it...theyre all hard earned...every single year...no one deseves it more than the winner
I didnt allude to any team not deserving to win the flag, I said that given the difficulty rating of our draw (including 70000km of air travel), if we were to win it, then it would have been very hard earned.
The Tigers for example, were deserving winners in 2019 but you cant argue that you have done it the hard way with 9 of your last 10 games including the prelim and the GF at the G. That is a dream run for any team, but you still had to be good enough to win it. I know it is a bit of a sore point when it is brought up for Tigs fans but c'mon, 9 from 10 at the G vs the draw we have coped for 2020- surely you must recognise that if WC won next year it would have been via a more difficult route.

If it's not a complaint, don't use the word unfair. Use harder. You guys whinge that much you don't even realise you're doing it. Might explain why you can't acknowledge the huge home ground advantage you get in 10 games. All we ever hear is wah wah wah travel.
Acknowledge the massive disadvantage of the travel- but you wont as your team rarely travels. I dont really care- it is what it is, but if you look at that draw pragmatically, it does not constitute a fair deal given the final standings of the teams last year. That is not a complaint- it is an observation. Now a draw is never going to be perfectly fair for any team in any given year, some will get a better one that others and that is the way it is. But recognise that the draw WC got for 2020 is one of the more skewed draws in recent times.

Judging by your fairly juvenile post Im not expecting any form of considered response from you so feel free to move on.

Lol.

You have no idea nor interest in understanding the real issues.

Comparing FIFO worker to elite athletes playing a high impact sport is as far apart as it gets. What great logic you have brought to this debate.

The travel burden is in the recovery aspects. Eagles play the Hawks in Tassie. Post game sore players are icing up sore bodies, do a hammie or a shoulder etc. Spend the next 7 to 8 hours in a bus, waiting at an airport, get on a plane and travel pressurised which increases bleeding in damaged muscles / tissue, get off plan and then drive home.

The Tigers play at the MCG and can begin the optimum recovery process straight away. No 8 hours of travel in a pressurised cabin, sitting in buses or taxi's.

That adds up massively especially over the final months of a bruising season when most players are sore and carrying injuries.

But don't let facts get in the way mate.

Last edited:

Club's don't complain. That is not productive.

Do any club's complain........other than Geelong that is?

There is a reason why WA based players have shortened careers. Their bodies fail them once they hit 31 plus years. There are a few exceptions and the science is getting better but it's a massive challenge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, the way the FIXture works has evolved, merit gets a gig these days in most finals & the concept of home grounds has changed too.
The success of Brisbane remains the achievement of the AFL IMHO, travelling to the GF 4 years in a row :thumbsu: ,, 2 in a row is hard enough.
Well remember the Hawks winning the first non Vic final at Subi, shame the recalcitrants werent shown the door - meanwhile you make a GF under the rules applicable, win/lose !!

Love to see Brisbane make it for sheer excitement but a lot of things can happen between now and then but West Coast v Richmond would be highly likely.

I didnt allude to any team not deserving to win the flag, I said that given the difficulty rating of our draw (including 70000km of air travel), if we were to win it, then it would have been very hard earned.
The Tigers for example, were deserving winners in 2019 but you cant argue that you have done it the hard way with 9 of your last 10 games including the prelim and the GF at the G. That is a dream run for any team, but you still had to be good enough to win it. I know it is a bit of a sore point when it is brought up for Tigs fans but c'mon, 9 from 10 at the G vs the draw we have coped for 2020- surely you must recognise that if WC won next year it would have been via a more difficult route.
Selective argument. Take a look at our first part of the year. We had a horrible start in terms of draw that was balanced by the good run home. But people just like looking at the last half of the season and whinging.

In terms of 2020 draw, it is based on CHAMPION DATA - THE DATA THAT HAD MELBOURNE WITH THE BEST LIST AND LIKELY PREMIERS OF 2019. They finished 17th!!! If you're freaking out about fixture strength and woe is me arguments in November, you've got some problems and clearly don't trust your team. In terms of our 2020 fixture, every team we play finished below us on the ladder. Guess we got the best draw then :drunk:

Selective argument. Take a look at our first part of the year. We had a horrible start in terms of draw that was balanced by the good run home. But people just like looking at the last half of the season and whinging.

In terms of 2020 draw, it is based on CHAMPION DATA - THE DATA THAT HAD MELBOURNE WITH THE BEST LIST AND LIKELY PREMIERS OF 2019. They finished 17th!!! If you're freaking out about fixture strength and woe is me arguments in November, you've got some problems and clearly don't trust your team. In terms of our 2020 fixture, every team we play finished below us on the ladder. Guess we got the best draw then :drunk:

I do see your point in that it is flawed to use 2019 results to determine 2020 fixture difficulty, lots of things change from year to year, reality although flawed it is the best metric we have to determine fixture difficulty.

It isn’t just champion data. Every outlet that has tested strength of schedule has west coast as receiving the most difficult fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Acknowledge the massive disadvantage of the travel- but you wont as your team rarely travels. I dont really care- it is what it is, but if you look at that draw pragmatically, it does not constitute a fair deal given the final standings of the teams last year. That is not a complaint- it is an observation. Now a draw is never going to be perfectly fair for any team in any given year, some will get a better one that others and that is the way it is. But recognise that the draw WC got for 2020 is one of the more skewed draws in recent times.

Judging by your fairly juvenile post Im not expecting any form of considered response from you so feel free to move on.
Here we go again. Wah wah wah. It takes so much out of the human body by sitting on your arse for a few hours.

Here we go again. Wah wah wah. It takes so much out of the human body by sitting on your arse for a few hours.
And the fairly typical eloquent reply from a Richmond supporter. The difference i notice between Vic supporters and Interstate supporters is that Vics are not forthcoming about their advantages and Interstaters can see disadvantages quiet openly. Wah,wah, wah is not really an argument nor a solution but shows us just how low brow the thinking is.

When ever West Coast get talked up as a flag prospect they disappoint, underneath the radar is the go!

Selective argument.
What was horrible about your early FIXture (no wonder you need to call it a draw), tough travel ? not enough games at the G, too many away games?

Is Champion Data not just another view, does it prove anything going forward, nope IMHO. Is it a 'go to' for you?

West Coast have been written off before, and its normal for the Vic based clubs to want to hang on to the advantages long held - you only need to go back to the 1990* final series to understand how far we've come, H&A is a relic of yesteryear that needs addressing.

There is a reason why home court/pitch/field/ground/etc advantage is very real and acknowledged as fact. These sort of stupid posts add nothing to the discussion. Hint - would you want Richmond to play more games away from Melbourne? After all, it doesn't matter right? There's your answer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back