West Coasters Flag Prospects 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Jez1974

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Not that is an excuse but we did have a hard slog in the wet against Richmond whilst Hawthorn had a training run against Gold Coast the week before
Hawks better on the day! How many finals did they play last year?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Tim Gossage said today getting Kelly puts the Eagles in the box seat for the flag. I dont disagree with the tip, they are mine also, but box seat is a bit strong, theyve still got some work to do based on last year, and I reckon top 2 is critical for them to lock in that home PF that has been so important when they have made GFs.

Jez1974

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Tim Gossage said today getting Kelly puts the Eagles in the box seat for the flag. I dont disagree with the tip, they are mine also, but box seat is a bit strong, theyve still got some work to do based on last year, and I reckon top 2 is critical for them to lock in that home PF that has been so important when they have made GFs.
Agree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tim Kelly is a great player but it's also a bit of a risk for an ageing team to sell out of a couple of drafts to bring a guy in who is RFA age himself

It's 1 thing to bring in a 23 year old with 5-6 of his best years ahead for that price but Kelly's 26 this year isn't he ?
Big difference compared to the leg up Richmond got from bringing in Lynch for free

Bit of pressure on WC to cash in this year I'd say or they might find themselves in the ' Danger zone ' like Geelong

Expecting all the blah blah Freo responses but it's possible the Kelly trade isn't the resounding success everyone seems to have carved into stone already

Tim Kelly is a great player but it's also a bit of a risk for an ageing team to sell out of a couple of drafts to bring a guy in who is RFA age himself

It's 1 thing to bring in a 23 year old with 5-6 of his best years ahead for that price but Kelly's 26 this year isn't he ?
Big difference compared to the leg up Richmond got from bringing in Lynch for free

Bit of pressure on WC to cash in this year I'd say or they might find themselves in the ' Danger zone ' like Geelong

Expecting all the blah blah Freo responses but it's possible the Kelly trade isn't the resounding success everyone seems to have carved into stone already
Of course it's possible that TK won't result in a flag - which is probably the only result that will see the trade acknowledged as successful. They are bloody hard to get whichever way you attack the problem.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)

On the flip side, he'll be a heck of a lot more useful you'd think while the window's open than a young kid that's going to take a few years to get into the seniors and he's only coming into his 3rd yr of AFL so should have a fair few good ones left I'd hope.

Jez1974

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

He will add major grunt, especially roving to Nic Nat. I will expect either shuey,yeo gaff or sheed to cut loose too. Go west coast!

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers

yeah hes 26, not 30. He could play another 7 years. It's well worth the risk of bringing in a brownlow medal capable player into a premiership capable squad and sacrifice a draft and a half for it.

Jez1974

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
yeah hes 26, not 30. He could play another 7 years. It's well worth the risk of bringing in a brownlow medal capable player into a premiership capable squad and sacrifice a draft and a half for it.
2nd in f and b count both years at the cats. He is where he wants to play. At least 4 good or even better years from TK!!! Well worth the punt. Cats have only picks not players. A bird in the hand is worth....

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

I think we have a two year window and believe that is why they went hard for Kelly. Lynch for free was ridiculous.

Of course it's possible that TK won't result in a flag - which is probably the only result that will see the trade acknowledged as successful. They are bloody hard to get whichever way you attack the problem.
If a team is in their window and then get the chance to bring an A grader into the side, you do it. Every. single. time.
Eagles 100% did the right thing trading for Tim Kelly.

Who knows what may have happened in 2017 is Adelaide had Gibbs in their side when he was still good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back