West Gippy Latrobe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was more arse than class! i still cant believe the scores from garfield v maffra game! unbelievable! and morwell beating sale has just opened up the competition. every team in the comp bar probably leongatha can play finals i think, the comp is so even! which makes it very interesting!

Go the mighty Tiges, this was a really good call thisisaname

So fantastic results in country footy this week. If you don't biring your "A" game your a big chance to get knocked off. Any truth in the rumour that Adrian Burgiel from maffra got smashed up against Garfield. I heard he has broken ribs and apunctured lung???

So fantastic results in country footy this week. If you don't biring your "A" game your a big chance to get knocked off. Any truth in the rumour that Adrian Burgiel from maffra got smashed up against Garfield. I heard he has broken ribs and apunctured lung???

Apparently Burgiel copped a cheap shot off the ball and as usual the umpires had their blinkers on - taken away in an ambulance with a suspected punctured lung but was up and about on Sunday; probably miss a week.

Apparently Burgiel copped a cheap shot off the ball and as usual the umpires had their blinkers on - taken away in an ambulance with a suspected punctured lung but was up and about on Sunday; probably miss a week.
Probably miss only a week with broken ribs and a punctured lung hey ? I'd hate for you to give me a fitness test if i still played the game..You're entirely correct about one thing though ,the umpiring standard at the moment in this competition is disgraceful.The last game i saw at Sale against Warragul ,one of the field umpires was so fat ,all he could do was just stand in the middle of the ground and make bull$hit decisions he couldn't even see.Like an U10 umpire he was.

it was more arse than class! i still cant believe the scores from garfield v maffra game! unbelievable! and morwell beating sale has just opened up the competition. every team in the comp bar probably leongatha can play finals i think, the comp is so even! which makes it very interesting!
Do Sale the world of good to get beaten ,the last two years has shown us locals anyway how complacent they get if they are the top team all year.Well done to Morwell though,i saw their representitives in the West Gippy team play last week and thought that if they had those guys playing for them they would have to be a better team than a lot of people thought.

Probably miss only a week with broken ribs and a punctured lung hey ? I'd hate for you to give me a fitness test if i still played the game..You're entirely correct about one thing though ,the umpiring standard at the moment in this competition is disgraceful.The last game i saw at Sale against Warragul ,one of the field umpires was so fat ,all he could do was just stand in the middle of the ground and make bull$hit decisions he couldn't even see.Like an U10 umpire he was.

I did say suspected punctured lung - its isn't!

gazette says 8 which i thought might be abit over the top

is garfield now considered a threat to make the finals after their turn around win.

Didn't know whether to start a new thread or not but after hearing our interleague team referred to continuously during the recent country footy c'ships as just simply "West Gippy" i've been of the opinion that it is time for a name change for the league.Afterall ,there are only three teams in the comp representing that area (i.e Warragul ,Drouin and Garfield) the majority coming from the central Gippsland area.West gippsland football league for years was no more a major league than the North Gippy comp.Don't get me wrong,i think it's great that Warragul ,Drouin and Garfield are in the comp,i just think the current title doesn't truely represent the area it covers to the greater country Victorian football public. Time to go back to Gippsland Latrobe football league i think.Any thoughts ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gippsland Football League or Gippsland Latrobe Football League would make the most sense for a new league name as the league takes in clubs from all over gippsland. The east (maffra and sale) the west (warragul, drouin and garfield) the south ( leongatha and possibly wonthaggi in the future) and the three Latrobe Valley clubs.
thats my 2 cents anyway!:):thumbsu:

central gippsland would be a good fit i think.West gippsland latrobe was a name the VCFL came up with a few years ago when they tried to kick Sale and Maffra out of the comp.

yeah right.

if they tried to kick sale & maffra, that would have been a good league consisting of GFLD, DRN, WGL, LEON, MOE, MRW & TGON. nice league. you idiot.

west gippy latrobe is a throwback term from when the two divisions merged.

WESTERN DIVISION

LATROBE DIVISION

make sense yet?

Im pretty sure that back in the 40s, 50s or 60s the league name was Central Gippsland.

What do you know? What is old is new again.

There was a Central Gippsland League in existence from the 30's thru to the 50's and a Central Gippsland Association before the 30's.

The LaTrobe Valley League was formed in 1954 and went under that name until 1994, in 1995 it was changed to the Gippsland LaTrobe League and in 2002 changed again to the West Gippsland LaTrobe Football League.

In the late 90's early 00's there was a huge push to remove Sale and Maffra from the league and to include Pakenham and Beaconsfield. Pakenham were not prepared to travel past Traralgon!

Sale and Maffra are the only two clubs in Gippsland who have had continuous major league affiliation since 1901. Maffra: Gippsland Football League 1901-59; LVFL etc. 1960-2007; Sale: GFL 1901-53, LVFL etc 1954-2007. Both will celebrate there 100th season of major league football in 2010 (allowing for 10 years of war time suspension).

yeah right.

if they tried to kick sale & maffra, that would have been a good league consisting of GFLD, DRN, WGL, LEON, MOE, MRW & TGON. nice league. you idiot.

west gippy latrobe is a throwback term from when the two divisions merged.

WESTERN DIVISION

LATROBE DIVISION

make sense yet?
FYI ,the proposed league at the time consisted of the following teams GFLD ,DRN ,WGL,LEON,MOE,MRW ,TGN +Pakenham ,ROC ,Wonthaggi and Beaconsfield with Sale and Maffra to be banished to either an expanded North Gippy comp or further East to the east gippy comp against Bairnsdale ,Lakes etc the VCFL didn't particularly care at the time so long as we both were out of there back in the minors ,reason being that both teams were seen as being too far away from Melbourne to be of any consequence.What threw a spanner in the works was that Pakenham ,ROC and B'field told the VCFL to shove it and were accepted into the MPNFL ,that and the fact that Maffra and arguably Sale have been the two most successful clubs of recent times blew their grandeous plans right out of the water.So far as me being an idiot goes ,those are the facts as i remember them because at the time the two eastern clubs got together for once in their history and drafted up joint letters and petitions for locals to sign in their efforts to remain in the comp.

tall poppy syndrome.

and its so ****in' far away to get up in the morning to play juniors.

Rather than hating Maffra for their recent success you should be congratulating them. After all prior to 2002 Maffra had not a senior flag since 1948! A 54 year drought.

Re the u/16 comp - I think the standard of the West Gippy comp. is far and away better than any local or district comp. and despite the early start is very worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back