Not open for further replies.

collegecoaches

Draftee
May 16, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
Never a truer word has been sponken. I hear Maffra flogged Warragul without the Burgiels, without Jones and without any trouble whatsoever.
As much as it pains me excruciatingly to say it ,i honestly can't see anyone good enough to challenge a FULL STRENGTH (i.e with both Burgiels playing fit) Maffra this year. Even with Maggies having all their injured players fit ,they're probably not as strong as last year yet they still beat Morwell at home in Rd 1 .I think that Leongatha look like the only other possible hope.

PORKCHOPWAYNE

Debutant
Apr 6, 2009
Sale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes don't be silly. Alot of the Sale players and other West Gippy players that went to Darnum from other West Gippy sides were good players for there respective clubs, but from all reports are dominating for Darnum. Comparing Darnum to say a Maffra is unfair, I would say Maffra's last 5 or 6 players picked each week would be far superior players than Darnum's last 5 or 6 picked. And that's what makes the difference between the West Gippy league and all the other leagues in this area.

Hawk Sale

Senior List
Apr 22, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sale will get a couple of senior players back this week for Maffra but not enough to worry the Eagles i shouldn't think ,Maffra should win 1st's 2nd's and thirds comfortably and with the sale forths being depleted through country Vic tryouts and school camps etc ,Maffra/Bairnsdale united should win the U16's as well.

Sep 29, 2005
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Redskins, NUFC
If you guys happen to win the GF in the forths this year ,i just hope someone mentions Bairnsdale in the acceptance speech.Speaking of Koby Stevens ,it's a wonder the Eagles haven't tried to claim him as well.

haha "you guys". mate i've got nothing to do with the Maffra Football Club, in fact i've got more to do with Sale. You just take the Maffra/Sale hatred to a whole new level.

eaglece3

Draftee
Apr 21, 2009
Tinamba
AFL Club
Collingwood
sale will have 5 3rds players playing on the weekend.

with Ryan Pendleberry and Jake Simmons in for their first game.

pendlebury was quiet for his first game in the ones but he would hope that it is because of first game jitters i hope they pick him again next week so he can use his silky skills to spot up his team mates and show that he is good enough

Hawk Sale

Senior List
Apr 22, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
haha "you guys". mate i've got nothing to do with the Maffra Football Club, in fact i've got more to do with Sale. You just take the Maffra/Sale hatred to a whole new level.
It's hard not to have a deep hatred for the Maffra FC when you see so many of them live and work in Sale, their coach included who runs a corner store and lives here too ,your major sponsor is a Sale company ,they draw a lot of their revenue from a major gaming venue located on the highway in Sale yet Maffra fc personnel and supporters still see fit to rubbish Sale at every opportunitie both the town and the football club.The fact is if Maffra wasn't fortunate enough to be geographically located so close to Sale ,the Eagles would be nowhere financially . I mean where would the players work for a start ,Murray Goulburn can't employ everybody. Also ,you didn't see the Sale players wandering through the Maffra shopping center pi$$ed showing off the premiership cup giving everybody the $hits when we won it last year like those arrogant pricks from Maffra did in Sale the year before.You are correct Bourkey i do take the Maffra /Sale hatred to a new level but with good reason and believe me ,i'm not the only one.

Coach

Rookie
Feb 16, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
dont know what maffra did after all their wins but sale guys to busy bending for a stripper after their one win to drive to maffra from what we were told

Hawk Sale

Senior List
Apr 22, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That could be the best comeback of all time...
We actually lost the GF the year that happened.the guy left town a few weeks later and the bloke who was kind enough to record it on his mobile phone now plays for Sale City.Yeah ,bad business that so much for trusting your team mates.

the Ultimate Warrior

Senior List
Mar 4, 2009
Sale
AFL Club
Melbourne
We actually lost the GF the year that happened.the guy left town a few weeks later and the bloke who was kind enough to record it on his mobile phone now plays for Sale City.Yeah ,bad business that so much for trusting your team mates.

Your right on one account here. It happened after loosing a GF to Maffra but the Coach never said anything about the GF he was saying there was only 1 win on the weekend.

The other thing is i think you will find the person that recorded it does not play at Sale City. If the truth is told you may find he plays down the line but the person who posted it on the net still plays at Sale. So mmmmmmmm be a bit careful what you accuse people of.

I agree that Maffra carry on and do rely upon Sale for its people and some money but the one thing they do REAL well is hang on to there players! They have now been strong in all grades for over 8 years now. No one can question how well they run there club as it is not easy to maintain the hunger of commitee members and players. Look at the 2 clubs over the past 8 years and one has been consistant and the other up and down. That hurts me to say as i wish Sale had the same success level maintain over the years.

samebi

Debutant
Sep 24, 2007
gippsland
AFL Club
Richmond
It's hard not to have a deep hatred for the Maffra FC when you see so many of them live and work in Sale, their coach included who runs a corner store and lives here too ,your major sponsor is a Sale company ,they draw a lot of their revenue from a major gaming venue located on the highway in Sale......................

These comments say more about the state of the Sale FC than they do about the Maffra FC.

Rampires

Draftee
Apr 30, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well said ultimate warrior!!! Your post is very true about the dodgy person who recorded it!! And your spot on about the comparision about the sale and maffra footy clubs. Surely there must be a reason for this?

Hawk Sale

Senior List
Apr 22, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I actually admire the way Maffra recruit ,they don't go after real big name players like ex-AFL or VFL rather they just scour the local papers and look who's consistently performing in nearby country leagues and go after them which makes sense because those types of guys nowdays are more realistic targets than the real big name players like you could get to play maybe 15/20 years ago.I don't agree with recruiting for U16's though so their own local juniors miss out as is the case at the moment and after speaking to some Maffra people , i'm not the only one.As for hanging on to their players ,the small town mentality is definitely an advantage in country footy where this is concerned ,so is not having hardly anyone drafted to the AFL in the last 30yrs.Sale suffers from the fact that they are one of two football clubs in town and the place is full of airforce and ex-airforce personel who don't play aussie rules and tend towards soccer or touch football so the actual pool of people to pick from isn't quite as big as you would think it would be in a town the size of Sale.Maffra is just like Heyfield only slightly bigger where every young guy who's fit enough at some stage has a run with the local footy team.

Sep 29, 2005
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Redskins, NUFC
so is not having hardly anyone drafted to the AFL in the last 30yrs.

probably a bad time to bring that up with Maffra having a buttload of kids in the spotlight this season. (and before you start rambling on about poaching from B'dale i'm talking about Butcher and Carr who are both 110% Maffra products).

the Ultimate Warrior

Senior List
Mar 4, 2009
Sale
AFL Club
Melbourne
I actually admire the way Maffra recruit ,they don't go after real big name players like ex-AFL or VFL rather they just scour the local papers and look who's consistently performing in nearby country leagues and go after them which makes sense because those types of guys nowdays are more realistic targets than the real big name players like you could get to play maybe 15/20 years ago.I don't agree with recruiting for U16's though so their own local juniors miss out as is the case at the moment and after speaking to some Maffra people , i'm not the only one.As for hanging on to their players ,the small town mentality is definitely an advantage in country footy where this is concerned ,so is not having hardly anyone drafted to the AFL in the last 30yrs.Sale suffers from the fact that they are one of two football clubs in town and the place is full of airforce and ex-airforce personel who don't play aussie rules and tend towards soccer or touch football so the actual pool of people to pick from isn't quite as big as you would think it would be in a town the size of Sale.Maffra is just like Heyfield only slightly bigger where every young guy who's fit enough at some stage has a run with the local footy team.

i think you will find theyhave had there fair share drafted. Another interesting point is that there League goal kicker last year was jack tatterson who actually played at Sale junios and left to not getting much of a game. Now he is one of the best players in the WGLFL.

garry Jones was recruited to Sale didn't like the ordinary pre-season so went to Maffra instead and the same with Anthony Bence and Paul Bills. These three all came to sale and chose to play at maffra and are now all premireship players.

Daniel stubbe was playing in sale at City and went to maffra so there is another player lost to sale.

maffra also has Boisdale recruitting straight from them and they have still stayed strong.

The one thing i would encourage Sale to do is embrace the now and the future and stop living in the past. There are to many 60+ yo people talking about the good old days and not the now. Look at maffras commitee and it is young and fresh. the honor the past and live for the now.

The air force and soccer does not mean a single thing!

Hawk Sale

Senior List
Apr 22, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
probably a bad time to bring that up with Maffra having a buttload of kids in the spotlight this season. (and before you start rambling on about poaching from B'dale i'm talking about Butcher and Carr who are both 110% Maffra products).
Those two are definitely Maffra products and will probably get drafted Butcher might even go #1 please enlighten me on any other GENUINE maffra products in the spotlight that make up this "buttload" but thats not what i said anyway.Ben Robbins is about the only ex-maffra player to have played one senior AFL/VFL game since Jeff Geishen retired thirty odd years ago.Sale have done particularly well in that area on the other hand especially in the last 10/15 years.Not an excuse because almost every team (apart from Maffra of course) has lost their town's finest to higher leagues.Maffra has been lucky in a sense that most of their good juniors haven't been quite good enough to go to AFL /VFL or similar level and have stuck around scored jobs in the local area (usually in Sale) and have become very good local footballers.Throw in the Burgiels who both could've easily played senior AFL had they persevered and you have the basis of the sustained success as we have seen.As another poster said Sale have a lot of work to do in their admin/commitee area and are living in the past a fair bit.Their recruiting methods are either crap or non-existant ,i myself have given commitee members in the past leads on guys coming to the area that i have later found were never acted on and these guys have turned out to be great for other clubs.Getting away from the original point though, i just wish the Maffra FC and it's supporters would stop bagging Sale so much and rather admit that they rely on the place for their club's survival almost as much as the Sale fc itself.Either that or just shutup ,stay in the idealic hamlet and enjoy the success without the arrogance just like any other successful wgfl club would.

eaglece3

Draftee
Apr 21, 2009
Tinamba
AFL Club
Collingwood
two players from a small town to get drafted will be a pretty good achievement considering they are battling with heaps of under 18s across the country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back