Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Not much left - Millicent won 0 games - Casterton beat Millicent 3 times - West beat East and those two and so on and so on.

North only lost 1 game for the year to South, South lost 2 to North - could have been very different had those in charge been able to park their allegiances and arrogance

Not much left - Millicent won 0 games - Casterton beat Millicent 3 times - West beat East and those two and so on and so on.

North only lost 1 game for the year to South, South lost 2 to North - could have been very different had those in charge been able to park their allegiances and arrogance

North and south both are considering joining the kntfl. Millicent and casterton both want out. Clubs should go out and decide there own future. Can't trust the league.

Where would Casterton go? They would be too strong for the South West.

Hamilton and Portland finished bottom of the Hampden FL. Could they come back?

Casterton is in no mans land- they have few options.

Portland and Hamilton aren't coming back - the demise of the league sits fairly and squarely at the feet of the WBFL Executive

South could end up playing a prelim against East at East and then a Grand final against North at North.
The league is working beautifully at the moment.

North and south both are considering joining the kntfl. Millicent and casterton both want out. Clubs should go out and decide there own future. Can't trust the league.

So much for the league working beautifully! Good to hear its not totally one sided leading into finals, bit unfortunate about the saints though.
Did Cast come close to East or West during the year?

So much for the league working beautifully! Good to hear its not totally one sided leading into finals, bit unfortunate about the saints though.
Did Cast come close to East or West during the year?

Can't really remember but both East and West would never have seen the clash with Casterton as a certain win etc.
Coach had to pull his head in during the year as he was jobing everyone.
Got another contact though as they rekon he has changed etc. Still Casterton has the mantle of a dirty mob which the committee did not want.

Fairly unsuccessful review IMO. The plan was to move hamilton and portland into a victorian based league - which they achieved and the sa based clubs and casterton into a new sa based comp - which never happened.

Hamilton and Portland will no way come back. They are happy where they are, playing in a stable strong competition. Those two clubs have got a young list and they are going to just get better. Hamilton are dominating in the netball scene. Portland and Hamilton were playing off in the footy reserves gf last year, as well as Portland's unders played off in the gf last two years. Both clubs are well supported as well.

Hamilton and Portland will no way come back. They are happy where they are, playing in a stable strong competition. Those two clubs have got a young list and they are going to just get better. Hamilton are dominating in the netball scene. Portland and Hamilton were playing off in the footy reserves gf last year, as well as Portland's unders played off in the gf last two years. Both clubs are well supported as well.
I agree, I think they will both climb the Hampden ladder in the next few years, pretty high quality of young talent around and shouldn't take long for them to start putting it together. It's pretty interesting though what the future could look like for Casterton and Millicent is they're season is as uneventful as this one seemed.

From what I have heard there are 4 clubs considering leaving the wbfl at the end of this season
dont you people read papers. MDSE footy has a 10k enter fee to join;also it would be hard for Millicent to join as the 3 clubs around them would object. if i read correctly KNTFL was one of the leagues who did not sign up to new pay structure so if you play in that league you cant play any were alse in south aus. so why would you join that league

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 10k sign up fee was put out there but policies like these would have to be approved by the sacfl. I dont think they would have.

Went to see the WBFL grand final between North & South, the first game for a long while, it was a very good game playing out in a draw with South getting over the line in the second 5Min half.
The wash up for me was that South has now become the team to beat and from what i saw i would suggest the next three to four flags will go to them if not more.
They have recruited a lot of local talent that has formed a very formidable combination that will be very hard to beat. I am not sure how North will respond to this but they are now well off the pace imo.
The other teams are very much irrelevant to any outcome in this league and will offer no resistance to either South or North, while you cant blame South setting the pace the fact you can predict which way the flag will go for the next few years is a great concern to football in this region imo.

By definition - what you have described above is not a competition - the SACFL appear hopeless
this new pay structure will hurt clubs that need to spend money on players, West have lost Holmes and may lose another, Nangwarry will struggle to fill its coaching position and Kongorong has no coach also. south will lose oliver back to ednehope on good money coaching. SACFL has no money that why things havent happened. but you and every body here can see that the 3 leagues need to merge of the betterment of the game. this wont happen because clubs pride get in the way and when its to late teams fold. if you went thru each clubs in WBFL they all have good juniors but have trouble getting 23 players for u/17, MDSE clubs struggle with the small towns not having enough kids in the area and this is what you need for your seniors to survive. KNTFL have same trouble. so clubs have to pay bigger money to has beens and ordinary b grade players just to fill side. i have said for a long time money will stuff footy as the kids of today are too greedy and give nothing back. have alook at your own clubs and ask how many 25-30 yr olds are on your comittes not many i suspect. who will run the club once the older people go????

this new pay structure will hurt clubs that need to spend money on players, West have lost Holmes and may lose another, Nangwarry will struggle to fill its coaching position and Kongorong has no coach also. south will lose oliver back to ednehope on good money coaching. SACFL has no money that why things havent happened. but you and every body here can see that the 3 leagues need to merge of the betterment of the game. this wont happen because clubs pride get in the way and when its to late teams fold. if you went thru each clubs in WBFL they all have good juniors but have trouble getting 23 players for u/17, MDSE clubs struggle with the small towns not having enough kids in the area and this is what you need for your seniors to survive. KNTFL have same trouble. so clubs have to pay bigger money to has beens and ordinary b grade players just to fill side. i have said for a long time money will stuff footy as the kids of today are too greedy and give nothing back. have alook at your own clubs and ask how many 25-30 yr olds are on your comittes not many i suspect. who will run the club once the older people go????
I don't disagree with you. Once upon a time I had some involvement with a club in a small town which is now extinct - and four clubs attempted to fill the breach - none successfully. The pig headed ness you speak of killed it and the WBFL. I had some minor involvement with Imperials proposal to join the HFL. The reasoning was very sound & if tested in Court (which they considered) in pretty confident they would have won. The VCFL were not much better, so when the WBFL Exec called in the review they warned them that it could blow up in their face but did not listen. That the SACFL has no money is a worry. It needs to restructure & do what is best for the communities and the game. Until it puts up a plan and a timeline, why should clubs do anything other than try and hang on for another year.

Unfortunately, not many people involved in club land are able to take their blinkers off and look at what's best for the big picture through blind loyalty & younger generations as you say as a rule don't have that view - it's all about WIFM - what's in it for me.

Five games into a new season see some interesting changes in the WBFL. Both east and millicent seem to have improved significantly. Will be a test this weekend for them both with millicent fronting north and east fronting south.

I am on the look out for some old 'Football Records' from the Tatiara Football League (which ended after the 1992 season) and copies of the 'Budget' from the old Kowree Naracoorte Football League.

Home and away or finals editions are fine. I would prefer hard copies but scans are fine as well.

Please message me if you can assist.

Does Glenelg still run a junior development program down here
Is there some opportunities to run more junior development programs here, footy clinics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back