Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2020 - Hannan, Martin, Treloar, Ugle-Hagan, Bedendo

AFL Club Focus

What should the Western Bulldogs prioritise this off-season?

• Getting more draft points to match a bid for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Getting an early pick before a bid comes for JUH

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
So far our outs are Picken & Boyd with Morris likely to join them. If Suckling is still keen on becoming an NFL punter then now is as good a time as any even though he's having a pretty good year. Dickson is still kicking goals but wouldn't say he has more than a year left in him.
With the younger players I'd cut Porter, Webb and Roberts from our main list. Porter cracks in and plays with aggression but he doesn't really have any elite or even notable attributes although we'll sign him to our VFL list. Webb would have gone last year if not for his broken neck, uses the ball alright but doesn't get enough on the outside and doesn't have the physical attributes to rebound. Fletch is cheap depth and we love him around the club but he isn't strong enough to take a key post and isn't mobile enough to make up for it. Could see us holding onto him if we can't find a mature key defender though

Only rookie changes will be Smith & Gardner out. Sweet is a developing ruck which takes time and has to work on his work around the ground but he has a ton of aggression and is pretty capable while Khamis is extremely raw but is showing nice signs.

A few re-signings today and yesterday.

AFL website has an article about players who are still out-of-contract as of yesterday. Links are to player threads if we have one for 2019.

Out of contract: Bailey Dale, Tory Dickson, Ryan Gardner, Dale Morris, Fletcher Roberts, Roarke Smith, Lukas Webb, Bailey Williams

"At age 36, Morris' playing future is up in the air after undergoing a knee reconstruction following his third such injury in 17 months only a few weeks ago. Dale's stock has soared as a regular goalkicker since returning to the senior side but is on record as saying he wants to stay at the Kennel. There are some other interesting names here as well, such as Williams and premiership defender Roberts, who have struggled for opportunities this season and could look elsewhere. Veteran sharpshooter Dickson will hope his form demands another deal, while injury-cursed Webb, mid-season draftee Gardner and Smith are others seeking a new contract."

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Adelaide bid on Jamarra Ugle-Hagan with pick 1 (if we get pick 1 and its a good chance Adelaide would bid on him) and the Bulldogs match, what does it cost them pick wise?

Pick 1 is worth 3000 pts, minus the 20% discount, leaves WBs with a need to fulfill 2400 pts.
They currently have pick 9 which is worth 1469 pts, pick 38 which is worth 465 pts, pick 46 which is worth 331 pts.
So total value of those three picks is worth 2265 pts.
So they lose all picks and still negative 135.
Does That go off their first rounder next year? Or Do they lose their next pick which has no point value?

Last edited:

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Adelaide bid on Jamarra Ugle-Hagan with pick 1 (if we get pick 1 and its a good chance Adelaide would bid on him) and the Bulldogs match, what does it cost them pick wise?

Pick 1 is worth 3000 pts, minus the 20% discount, leaves WBs with a need to fulfill 2400 pts.
They currently have pick 9 which is worth 1469 pts, pick 38 which is worth 465 pts, pick 46 which is worth 331 pts.
Does That go off their first rounder next year? Or Do they lose their next pick which has no point value?

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
They consider themselves lucky that they finish around 8th-10th and get the chance to add arguably the best player in the draft. Having to match points for him is a small price to pay to add a player as talented as he is.
Oh absolutely. No What they get anywhere near pick 1 with pick 9 and two third rounders. They win big time.

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oh absolutely. No What they get anywhere near pick 1 with pick 9 and two third rounders. They win big time.
Yeah it’s a bit of a joke. It really isn’t fair that you guys miss out on adding him to your list because of NGA. If he was available would he be the player you would want as an Adelaide fan?

This kids talent is scary. It won't matter to them if they have to go into deficit but I hazard a guess they'll trade picks to make it happen anyway.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ok, crazy question here, but crazy things could happen.
WBs trade Adelaide pick 9 and 38, next years first and second for pick 1. (I know thats not worth pick 1 but hear me out).
So how far down the road can you pick the deficit can? WBs would get pick 1, and JUH in 2020, and not have to really pay points wise until 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah it’s a bit of a joke. It really isn’t fair that you guys miss out on adding him to your list because of NGA. If he was available would he be the player you would want as an Adelaide fan?
He fits a need we have for sure.
Adelaide, or North if they finish last really need to bid on him with pick 1. They have to make the Bulldogs pay a fair price.
While it might be unfair this year for us, whats really unfair is the AFL stopping NGA access after this year.
Basically they are letting one team get the number 1 player at a massive discount, and then stopping every other Vic, WA and SA team from ever having it. It turns the win for the WBs into an ever more unfair one for the rest of the comp.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW

Deficit comes off their first rounder next year, all picks they used to match go to the back of the draft

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He fits a need we have for sure.
Adelaide, or North if they finish last really need to bid on him with pick 1. They have to make the Bulldogs pay a fair price.
While it might be unfair this year for us, whats really unfair is the AFL stopping NGA access after this year.
Basically they are letting one team get the number 1 player at a massive discount, and then stopping every other Vic, WA and SA team from ever having it. It turns the win for the WBs into an ever more unfair one for the rest of the comp.
NGA has been going for a few years now. Freo have had an early first rounder from their academy. Collingwood got Quaynor from the NGA and North got Tarryn Thomas. Has been a few wins for clubs before we got Jamarra.

vozzon

All Australian
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
WBs trade Adelaide pick 9 and 38, next years first and second for pick 1. (I know thats not worth pick 1 but hear me out).
So how far down the road can you pick the deficit can? WBs would get pick 1, and JUH in 2020, and not have to really pay points wise until 2022.

If they got pick 1 from crows, they will use that on another player in the draft, and still go into deficit. essentially making them take the best 2 players in the draft. Doubt they would care if it takes out all there picks this year and next year if they end up with the 2 best players in the draft.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Basically that’s against the rules.

To match a bid, a team needs the required points over the current and future draft.

I see this scenario, Bulldogs won’t have the points between the two drafts, so the AFL won’t allow the Bulldogs to match.

If you want the Bulldogs 2020 and 2021 first round picks, you will need to trade them back enough second and third round picks to match the points.

If I was the Bulldogs, I probably wouldn’t do it, as your basically wiping them out of two drafts, and there isn’t a clear top end talent in this years draft worth doing it for.

If Elijah Hollands has not done his acl, it might be a different story.

NGA has been going for a few years now. Freo have had an early first rounder from their academy. Collingwood got Quaynor from the NGA and North got Tarryn Thomas. Has been a few wins for clubs before we got Jamarra.

But not such a Huge Win as Jamarra is though

Collingwood have Reef McInnis coming in this Draft that seems to be Rated as Mid to Late 1st Round Pick

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
So long as North, WBs, Collingwood and Freo managed to get a first round talent I guess.
Are you insinuating that North, Bulldogs and Freo get an easy ride from the AFL?

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Basically that’s against the rules.

To match a bid, a team needs the required points over the current and future draft.

I see this scenario, Bulldogs won’t have the points between the two drafts, so the AFL won’t allow the Bulldogs to match.

If you want the Bulldogs 2020 and 2021 first round picks, you will need to trade them back enough second and third round picks to match the points.

If I was the Bulldogs, I probably wouldn’t do it, as your basically wiping them out of two drafts, and there isn’t a clear top end talent in this years draft worth doing it for.

If Elijah Hollands has not done his acl, it might be a different story.
Is that a rule? I haven't heard it before but I guess the situation hasn't arisen before.

I might be mixing things up but I think there was one year I think Hawthorn traded out consecutive first rounders and the AFL allowed it on the proviso that they traded back into the first round the following year. The AFL seem to make things up on the fly so who knows what would actually happen.

I couldn't see Adelaide doing that trade even if it was allowed but would be a great outcome for the dogs.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Is that a rule? I haven't heard it before but I guess the situation hasn't arisen before.

I might be mixing things up but I think there was one year I think Hawthorn traded out consecutive first rounders and the AFL allowed it on the proviso that they traded back into the first round the following year. The AFL seem to make things up on the fly so who knows what would actually happen.

I couldn't see Adelaide doing that trade even if it was allowed but would be a great outcome for the dogs.
Yes it’s a rule.

Basically every teams starts with the same amount of future points, 1726, before future picks are traded, as theoretically every team has the chance to win the premiership, which mean they have the last pick in each round.

That’s picks 18, 36, 54 and 72.

Trade out a future first round pick, and you’re trading out the points value of pick 18.

Trade in a first round pick, well you now have the last two picks in the first round, giving you the combined points of picks 17 and 18.

So the AFL will only let a team match a bid on an academy player if that team has enough current and future points to match the bid.

If the Bulldogs trade out this and next years first round picks, they would only have a combined total of 1537 across the two drafts, so could only match a bid from pick 5 or back.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Are you insinuating that North, Bulldogs and Freo get an easy ride from the AFL?
If that's what you took from that then I am sorry for you.
I said it is unfair for the AFL to bring in a program that all clubs invested in money and time wise, to then stop that program when some clubs have benefited from it, including the possible pick 1 this year, before the other clubs have had a familiar benefit.
The AFL just cannot run a fair comp no matter what it does.
Even with FS, the WA clubs had a less amount of required games played to be eligible compared to the SA clubs.
With the NGAs Vic clubs had access to Aboriginal kids in their metro zones while SA and WA clubs don't.
Adelaide gets draft sanctions for 2 years over Tippett, yet Melbourne didn't lose any picks when they got caught match fixing.
I could go on, but I think I covered your question.

Back