Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2021 - O'Brien, Darcy, Jones, Cleary

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst that trade looks fair, it will leave the Dogs short of points if the bid for Darcy comes at 2. It would be fine if the bid comes at 3, but I think there will be better options then: something like 23 to Ess for F2, 51, 56 would suit the Dogs better.
Geelong has won the race for our pick 23 and we had enough points to match a bid on Darcy if it come at 2

Geelong has won the race for our pick 23 and we had enough points to match a bid on Darcy if it come at 2
Okay. What is the trade if the bid is at 2? You will need to get back about 640 points to avoid a deficit big enough to affect your future first (if you win next year).

Can someone knowledgeable please answer me this question:

We're rumoured to be trading pick 23 for two picks from Geelong from their collection of 30, 32 and 34.

Given we can only take five picks to the draft, are we allowed to live trade one pick for two thereby pushing us up to a total of six draft picks? Or will our sixth pick (after that, pick 52) needed to be traded or have it disappear?

Can someone knowledgeable please answer me this question:

We're rumoured to be trading pick 23 for two picks from Geelong from their collection of 30, 32 and 34.

Given we can only take five picks to the draft, are we allowed to live trade one pick for two thereby pushing us up to a total of six draft picks? Or will our sixth pick (after that, pick 52) needed to be traded or have it disappear?
I had a similar question recently, and my understanding is that the pick at the back end remains, however it cannot be used for bid matching. So if we'd be in a deficit without it, we can't use that pick to make up the points, and it instead comes off our future 1st. Then, once we have Darcy, the pick moves up the order (to account for the other picks now removed from the draft) and it remains ours to use

I had a similar question recently, and my understanding is that the pick at the back end remains, however it cannot be used for bid matching. So if we'd be in a deficit without it, we can't use that pick to make up the points, and it instead comes off our future 1st. Then, once we have Darcy, the pick moves up the order (to account for the other picks now removed from the draft) and it remains ours to use

Thanks! That seems like a fair compromise on the rules.

So assuming we do get 32 and 34 from Geelong we can then match with 32, 34, 43, 44 and 45 (2213) points with 200 points (matching costs 2013) and pick 52 left over.

Follow up question for you, then:

Does our 200 points then turn into pick 56 (the first pick valued at 200 points or under at 194)?

Thanks! That seems like a fair compromise on the rules.

So assuming we do get 32 and 34 from Geelong we can then match with 32, 34, 43, 44 and 45 (2213) points with 200 points (matching costs 2013) and pick 52 left over.

Follow up question for you, then:

Does our 200 points then turn into pick 56 (the first pick valued at 200 points or under at 194)?
No worries. The second part I'm not entirely sure. I THINK we get whatever pick we have enough points for (so 194), and I'm pretty sure all other picks move up the order before us being granted that leftover pick.

Okay. What is the trade if the bid is at 2? You will need to get back about 640 points to avoid a deficit big enough to affect your future first (if you win next year).

It will be one of our 30s picks (maybe 30) and a future pick id say then dogs can use the future pick to trade back into R2/3 this year after they match the bid.

If it's 23 for 32 and 34, doesn't WBD easily have enough points even if the bid comes at 2?

I think with the Darcy bid almost certainly coming at 2 the trade has been widely reported as 32 and 34 for 23.

Kinda makes no sense though because you will lose those picks matching. Even if you did say 23 and a future 4th for 34 50 and a future 3rd for example it gives you enough points to match 2 and a future pick to trade back in. Whereas if you trade it just for 2 2nds they both go on the bid and you get no future capital.

Kinda makes no sense though because you will lose those picks matching. Even if you did say 23 and a future 4th for 34 50 and a future 3rd for example it gives you enough points to match 2 and a future pick to trade back in. Whereas if you trade it just for 2 2nds they both go on the bid and you get no future capital.
I don’t think we would have enough points if a bid comes at 2 but happy to be corrected.

I don’t think we would have enough points if a bid comes at 2 but happy to be corrected.
You don't. You would be about a hundred points short but could make it up fairly easily. There are a few teams with fourth rounders they won't use which you could get for a late future pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't. You would be about a hundred points short but could make it up fairly easily. There are a few teams with fourth rounders they won't use which you could get for a late future pick.
They need list spots to use those picks, and WBD's current set up is already stretching it.

They can probably give us a future 3rd and we can upgrade a couple of their picks to increase their points however.

e.g. pick 45 + pick 52 + future 3rd for pick 40 + pick 46 (167 points gain)

They need list spots to use those picks, and WBD's current set up is already stretching it.

They can probably give us a future 3rd and we can upgrade a couple of their picks to increase their points however.

e.g. pick 45 + pick 52 + future 3rd for pick 40 + pick 46 (167 points gain)
They only need list spots for the picks that they take to the draft. They can live trade in and match a bid with as many picks as they want.

They only need list spots for the picks that they take to the draft. They can live trade in and match a bid with as many picks as they want.
We have two likely rookie upgrades at the back end of the draft that count as current list spots for bid-matching purposes

Interesting. There were rumours of a handshake agreement with Geelong a couple of days ago. I could live with Darcy, two live pick on kids plus an extra future pick (I assume it's a 3rd or 4th rounder)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back