Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

It's going to be interesting what the Dogs end up doing with all of their bigs...

A forward line of JUH, Naughton, Croft, Lobb and one of Darcy/English isn't going to work. I suppose Lobb may only play for another 2 - 3 years, but even then it's a lot of really big blokes. Even Weightman kind of plays as a marking target, as good as his ground work may be.

I'm not sure I see Darcy ever being a KPD, Croft has reportedly shown as a junior he can swing back there, but is it his best position long term? He's played mostly KPF as far as I've read. Do they start working Naughton as a key back, despite him having the most runs on the board out of everyone up forward?

It's a bit of an embrassment of forward riches on paper, not sure how it all works out.
I think the future forward line will be Naughton Darcy and Jamarra which I think is a good mix. Naughton has great recovery from marking contests and applies a lot of pressure for a tall, Jamarra is mobile and gets up the ground and Darcy is very mobile for his height too.

Darcy is still developing and might play back for a year or two. He was a pretty phenomenal interceptor for Oakley.

It's pretty early to be basing any future plans around Croft and the word is he will start out developing as a defender next year. His attributes are pretty well suited to be, at worst, a good lockdown defender.

I'm pretty comfortable with how things will look going forward.

I'd love to give Croft a reel of Darcy Moore and say "this could be you for 15 years if you want it". Think he's got a lot of similar traits.

Croft has played most of his career in defence, only switched to FF a couple of years ago.

I don’t think JUH is going anywhere, Naughton and him are as thick as thieves.
If Croft turns out to be a decent forward, may be best using Naughton at CHB.

If Croft turns out to be a decent forward, may be best using Naughton at CHB.
This may well be true, but I'm not sure that Naughton is particularly keen on heading back there now after a few seasons forward. Think he's grown accustomed to being the rock star forward instead of the bassist key defender.

This may well be true, but I'm not sure that Naughton is particularly keen on heading back there now after a few seasons forward. Think he's grown accustomed to being the rock star forward instead of the bassist key defender.
As a bassist I feel attacked.

Croft has played most of his career in defence, only switched to FF a couple of years ago.

I don’t think JUH is going anywhere, Naughton and him are as thick as thieves.
Yeah I'd say Baz is the most "gettable" of anyone OOC next year, Marra will get paid handsomely to stay.

Croft.. isn't a great kick for goal so I'd prefer to see him behind the ball.

Crozier and roarke just delisted

Assuming that means bedando and McNeil survive
Yeah. Wasn’t 100% on what our plan was with these 4, I’m fairly certain I read in the media recently that Croz might get another year, or that might of been here.

Either way, do I think Croz deserved another year? Honestly yeah, killed it in his last Footscray game, very good backup depth as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. Wasn’t 100% on what our plan was with these 4, I’m fairly certain I read in the media recently that Croz might get another year, or that might of been here.

Either way, do I think Croz deserved another year? Honestly yeah, killed it in his last Footscray game, very good backup depth as well.
Coffield's arrival stamped his papers.

I presume that Bedendo and McNeil get another year as we don't want to clear out everyone in one off-season. If they come on then awesome, if not then they're easy delists next season.

Edit: McNeil and Duryea delisted but we'recommitted to rookieing them or signing at the very end of the draft.

ESPN phantom has him falling to 18 before a bid, I imagine he gets bid on at about 13 but we'd certainly not complain about either outcome.
Would mean 48 and 50 would be all it takes to match the bid. If McCabe gets bid on first, wonder if we could trade with Hawks, say 44 for 48 and 69 or something. Probably wouldn't achieve much I guess though.

Would mean 48 and 50 would be all it takes to match the bid. If McCabe gets bid on first, wonder if we could trade with Hawks, say 44 for 48 and 69 or something. Probably wouldn't achieve much I guess though.
Yeah the only way I can see us getting much out of a later Croft bid is if we can trade a couple of those picks to gold coast for a future pick

LIST CHANGES

IN-

Nick Coffield (traded)
James Harmes (traded)

Ryley Sanders
Jordan Croft
Joel Freijah
Lachlan Smith
Aiden O'Driscoll
Lachlan Brambell (SSP)

Out-

Jordan Sweet