Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Stage 3 will only see the stand extended around the Southern (Showgrounds) boundary and over the area currently occupied by the mound facing Creswick Road. That would allow around 14,000 seats. The architects Peddle Thorp have made provision in the Eastern Terrace to expand it if needed in the future. That will allow the stand to encircle 75% of the ground and give 16,000 seats That would be a Stage 4 perhaps. If they ever go to a stage 5 then that would involve considerable modification of the existing pavilion or building over the top of it to add more capacity.

I doubt that the venue will ever need to go to that capacity. I think that it eventually will be expanded to 16,000 and that, that will be just about right. The papers go on about the Tasmanian grounds holding 20,000 but each of those only seat 13,000 and have standing room only for the remaining 7,000. Eureka Stadium will eventually be an all seat and under cover stadium for its spectators.
Let's be honest, if more than 15k are happy to sit at Eureka in the middle of winter, then I'll be surprised.

Eureka Stadium yesterday for North Ballarat Roosters v Werribee/North Melbourne looking good. The new video scoreboard is in place at the Southern end of the ground although wasn't yet functioning. Seat frames are in place and the actual seats will start being fitted later this week. Additional ground lights are being fitted soon underneath the stand roof and wor continues on the VIP and media boxes to the upper right of the stand.

DAPMdAyUAAAvoxz.jpg

The new scoreboard earlier during the week at training.
20170521_100532_zpsdnuisn2s.jpg

Last edited:
Rebels also played their first game there of the season last weekend as well. Really keen to get down there at some point soon and check it all out.

Not sure if we can organise the resources, but it would be good if the club could help prop up North Ballarat in some way.
Maybe we could tie it in with our academy zone and help develop some of the local talent that isn't good enough for an AFL list at this stage but might be.
Also could be a good way to keep an eye on players and get them to work on elements that need improvement.

Not sure if we can organise the resources, but it would be good if the club could help prop up North Ballarat in some way.
Maybe we could tie it in with our academy zone and help develop some of the local talent that isn't good enough for an AFL list at this stage but might be.
Also could be a good way to keep an eye on players and get them to work on elements that need improvement.
Sadly Bulldogs can't help out Nth unless they take over the club in total like how Norf had their alignment with them and Werribee

Yeah I guess politically it is a bit hard to manage, but I was thinking more along the lines of sharing some resources and injecting a little professionalism rather than a traditional alignment.

Looks a far more inviting venue now than it was when I last visited there 2 years ago. Very impressive. Hopefully gets to 16000 eventually, will no doubt be a sell out this year which will help. Exciting times for the Dogs.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to keep givin home games away?

Especially to places we will get next to zero membership numbers from

Id rather get money off the government and build up Whitten Oval to 10000 and play there

Id rather get money off the government and build up Whitten Oval to 10000 and play there

I think the Gold Coast game is a bridge too far with Ballarat in the mix now.

I don't like it either . Now that the AFL have purchased Etihad, I rather see us do a deal there and not sell games elsewhere .

I think the Gold Coast game is a bridge too far with Ballarat in the mix now.
Agree with this.
Romanticism of WO aside, Ballarat seems the perfect place to sell games to - considering we seem set on doing it.
I don't know enough about the financials to question that logic.

Jesus another one

I know we sell memberships to Ballarat but how many have we sold?? I'd wager less than 500 in total. People from Mars can buy away memberships also but I'm guessing those numbers aren't huge either.

Really? You actually have to ask what this means? I guess CD ratings don't have a stat for it so you wouldn't understand.

Build Whitten oval up to 10000 in comfort and with the facilities to cope.

I went to a VFL against Collingwood and the facilities couldn't handle that.

Lemmings everywhere

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus another one

I know we sell memberships to Ballarat but how many have we sold?? I'd wager less than 500 in total. People from Mars can buy away memberships also but I'm guessing those numbers aren't huge either.

Really? You actually have to ask what this means? I guess CD ratings don't have a stat for it so you wouldn't understand.

Lemmings everywhere

In an ideal world I agree but we are playing the cards we are dealt and need to continue with a long term growth strategy. Ballarat us part of that picture and has potential.

The state government are paying us a lot of money to be involved in and play matches at Ballarat and they have and appear probably willing to further upgrade the facilities there. We wouldn't get any of that at Whitten Oval given it is in Melbourne and in a very safe Labor area.

The board and management believe we will make more money out playing matches at Ballarat and being in partnership with the state government (including shorts sponsorship) than just playing at Etihad. Peter Gordon talked about it at our last AGM.

I prefer we play all home games in Melbourne but the club has to make decisions that are financially beneficial and grow our supporter and membership base. I doubt we would have sold many Ballarat memberships so far this year given it is the first year, the match in late in the season and is the only one of the season. Will be interesting to see how many we get in 2018 when we play two matches there.

Last edited:
We should be demanding the club give up this Queensland rubbish and concentrate on Ballarat which is at least accessible, even if demand exceeds supply, and where we have a hope of generating long term fans.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We should be demanding the club give up this Queensland rubbish and concentrate on Ballarat which is at least accessible, even if demand exceeds supply, and where we have a hope of generating long term fans.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Suspect it happens next year. We were all Ali G only playing one game at Ballarat this yr, so Cairns supplements the other but I think Ballarat will be sole focus next year, as it goes up to two games.

The only thing i don't like about this is that with the 2 games we are selling out of Etihad there is a chance that if locked out i won't get compensated properly for the 2 reserved seats i pay for in my yearly membership. It should be discounted as replacement games involve me forking out more case if i still want to sit on level 2.

Suspect it happens next year. We were all Ali G only playing one game at Ballarat this yr, so Cairns supplements the other but I think Ballarat will be sole focus next year, as it goes up to two games.

I'm pretty sure I've heard Kent suggest we could maintain a presence in FNQ as well as Ballarrat. This is disappointing as it dilutes membership value without any tangible benefit other than cold hard cash. I really hope we're in a position now to stop making decisions with such short-term thinking to ensure survival, and start to commit to a region like Ballarat which has membership upside and is accessible.

I'm pretty sure I've heard Kent suggest we could maintain a presence in FNQ as well as Ballarrat. This is disappointing as it dilutes membership value without any tangible benefit other than cold hard cash. I really hope we're in a position now to stop making decisions with such short-term thinking to ensure survival, and start to commit to a region like Ballarat which has membership upside and is accessible.
I think I recall the comments you're referring to and I felt it was more of a 'keeping options open' type statement. I remember thinking at the time that it sounded like a bit politically worded and I wasn't too worried by it. Then again maybe I was just hearing what I wanted to.

We had a stint in Darwin. I went up there for a game. Saw heaps of locals donning Dogs colours. After a few games establishing that fixture AFL donate that game to Port. Wasted venture
We had games in Canberra. Went to a few games. Did have a bit of following (despite what Syd & GWS supporters think) Canberra folks hate Sydney and supported the opposition to spite them Canberra games handed to Norf. Wasted venture
Cairns will go the same way. What value do these games have for us long term with TWO Qld teams operating. Wasted venture
BALLARAT. Has merit. Potential. And can be accessed by car Vs plane and accomodation. So gtfo of Qld and go for broke in Ballarat !!

Last edited:
Jesus another one

Lemmings everywhere
Doubt we'd get funding for it given we built the training centre only 7-8 years ago. Plus the sponsorship is worth a lot and in time I'd hope we could possibly get between 2500 - 5000 members out there.
Happy to stay in Cairns this year, it's been a happy hunting ground but we can't have two different homes away from home. We're just there for the money, which has helped a lot.

Tassie seems to work well for North and Hawks so I'm all for it. It's a unique advantage in that it's our home ground, not a shared home ground like Etihad that teams play in all the time.

Once we're out of debt maybe we can follow a Geelong path and invest in Whitten Oval.

Jesus another one

Lemmings everywhere

LOL. Your outrage is so funny!!! The key is not to take you too seriously.....and then it's possible to enjoy your point of difference!

Tasmania last year boosted North Melbourne's by 7,000, I suspect that the number perhaps dropped this year closer to between 5000-6000. I think that long term after playing regularly at Ballarat, there should be no reason why there perhaps couldn't be 5,000-6,000 members from Ballarat and Western Victoria.

There was a figure of 2k Ballarat members 2015. It of course was a different membership at 60$ and without any games attached. I wonder what the tally is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back