Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to play devils advocate... We clearly have a pretty big advantage playing at Etihad. If we take games away from there to play somewhere else is that the best thing for the team?

I get its a good move for the club but just wanted to see what others views are
Possibly in the short term, but can't see big games going there either to begin with. Hopefully it becomes a fortress the more we play there, like cats at skilled or Adelaide at AO.

We play a homegame in cairns so.whats the difference
Uh, I feel like there's plenty of difference but here I am listing them.

• Ballarat is still within driving distance of Melbourne so we're not expecting our fans to get on a plane like Cairns (or Tasmania or New Zealand or Darwin)
  • Ballarat is one of the fastest growing economic regions in Victoria, partly due to its proximity to Melbourne
  • It's not just Ballarat, it's its surrounding region. Ballarat is pretty much equally as close to places like Geelong, Melton, the Macedon Ranges etc. as it is to Melbourne - and if you "catch" the whole region of Western Victoria that is closer to Ballarat than it is to Melbourne, that's a whole range of footy fans who might go to a game to Ballarat but not in Melbourne for various reasons.
  • Sponsorship/Commercial opportunities, the city of Ballarat already sponsor us and we've seen places like Sovereign Hill already do so for us.
  • The opportunity to "convert" fans in the Ballarat region to become Bulldogs fans. This could be a generation away - as we see kids with Bulldogs players visiting their school etc. and wearing Dogs colours to Auskick and the like.
Cairns is paid for by their city to give the population a game and to get some Melbourne-based supporters an excuse to choose Cairns as their location for their July school holidays lets-go-to-somewhere-warm holiday. But it doesn't have the same population or potential for growth as the Ballarat region.

Provided the stage 2 upgrade can be completed very soon and we can have a boutique stadium of 20-30,000 people, and we play interstate teams like the two Adelaide teams there, I can see it being very successful for the Dogs.

• Ballarat is still within driving distance of Melbourne so we're not expecting our fans to get on a plane like Cairns (or Tasmania or New Zealand or Darwin)
  • Ballarat is one of the fastest growing economic regions in Victoria, partly due to its proximity to Melbourne
  • It's not just Ballarat, it's its surrounding region. Ballarat is pretty much equally as close to places like Geelong, Melton, the Macedon Ranges etc. as it is to Melbourne - and if you "catch" the whole region of Western Victoria that is closer to Ballarat than it is to Melbourne, that's a whole range of footy fans who might go to a game to Ballarat but not in Melbourne for various reasons.
  • Sponsorship/Commercial opportunities, the city of Ballarat already sponsor us and we've seen places like Sovereign Hill already do so for us.
  • The opportunity to "convert" fans in the Ballarat region to become Bulldogs fans. This could be a generation away - as we see kids with Bulldogs players visiting their school etc. and wearing Dogs colours to Auskick and the like.
Cairns is paid for by their city to give the population a game and to get some Melbourne-based supporters an excuse to choose Cairns as their location for their July school holidays lets-go-to-somewhere-warm holiday. But it doesn't have the same population or potential for growth as the Ballarat region.

Provided the stage 2 upgrade can be completed very soon and we can have a boutique stadium of 20-30,000 people, and we play interstate teams like the two Adelaide teams there, I can see it being very successful for the Dogs.
I was refering to the person that said they dont want to move games from etihad as we have a advantage there....agree with all your points

I'm going to play devils advocate... We clearly have a pretty big advantage playing at Etihad. If we take games away from there to play somewhere else is that the best thing for the team?

Good teams have to win everywhere, and this gives us more chance to get experience winning away from Etihad.

Same dimensions as Etihad, and gives us some practice playing outside. So long as they're smart with the fixturing and they don't make it for smack bang in the middle of winter, i reckon it's win/win. We already play at Cairns and have a fair record up there.

All fair points was just asking the question. You would hope if we play in Ballarat we wouldn't play in Cairns going forward? Don't want too many home games away from Etihad where we clearly play better footy

Given the ground capacity will only be 11,000 and presumably a lot of locals wanting to go, how will dogs members get to see Ballarat games ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the ground capacity will only be 11,000 and presumably a lot of locals wanting to go, how will dogs members get to see Ballarat games ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seat holders are guarenteed

Seat holders are guarenteed
I'm a seat holder so I should be fine, yet they really need that capacity being increased to at least 20k quickly or I can't see it being a success. Your actually depriving members of a "home" game due to limited capacity. They need to be very careful how they manage this.

Not really to do with this thread but the op just reminded me. Have noticed so many young kids wearing dogs jumpers at the footy with their dad whose wearing a different jumper. Great signs for the future, no doubt were an extremely attractive team for kids at the moment.

Between some on field success, extremely likeable superstars and ballarat our future looks so bright off field.

I'm a seat holder so I should be fine, yet they really need that capacity being increased to at least 20k quickly or I can't see it being a success. Your actually depriving members of a "home" game due to limited capacity. They need to be very careful how they manage this.
There will be member replacement games id assume, which will mean bigger crowds and better atmoapheres which can only be a good thing.

I might be a Negative Nelly but I don't see any reason to play AFL fixtured games at Ballarat. Happy with pre-season games, training camps, having a presence etc.
What advantage do the Dogs really get? It's not a massive deal like the Tassie deals for Haw and Nth, the Ballarat people are likely set in their barracking ways already, the ground is 11000, it's cold and miserable there in mid-winter.
I know we might gain some younger fans, but does that equate to a distinct advantage?
We know we have a massive advantage at Etihad, why give that up? I'm trying to balance up the benefits versus the negatives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Ballarat sponsors us, but is it a massive sponsorship, is it a sponsorship that you just cannot refuse? I'm not sure.

I might be a Negative Nelly but I don't see any reason to play AFL fixtured games at Ballarat. Happy with pre-season games, training camps, having a presence etc.
What advantage do the Dogs really get? It's not a massive deal like the Tassie deals for Haw and Nth, the Ballarat people are likely set in their barracking ways already, the ground is 11000, it's cold and miserable there in mid-winter.
I know we might gain some younger fans, but does that equate to a distinct advantage?
We know we have a massive advantage at Etihad, why give that up? I'm trying to balance up the benefits versus the negatives.

We still rely on AFL support through the equalisation fund - we have to be doing all that is reasonable to add to our general revenue streams to justify the AFL support. Other teams who receive support are expected to sell games and the like. Would you rather that we play home games in Darwin...or New Zealand, or Hobart?

Might actually make money with smaller crowds as opposed to losing money at Etihad.

We still rely on AFL support through the equalisation fund - we have to be doing all that is reasonable to add to our general revenue streams to justify the AFL support. Other teams who receive support are expected to sell games and the like. Would you rather that we play home games in Darwin...or New Zealand, or Hobart?
Darwin for sure

I must admit I've had similar concerns and I don't think you're on your own when it comes to considering some of the disadvantages which are, as I see them:
  • only a 5000 seat grandstand, so won't be very comfortable if you can't get in there (actually in the 'Ballarat Major Events Precinct Masterplan' it mentions only 4000). There is a long term 'option' to increase seating to 10000 but that wouldn't be until 2040.
  • 11,000 capacity which seems very inadequate for any AFL main season fixture
  • Blundstone Arena Hobart has a capacity of 16000 and Aurora Stadium Launceston 21000 which allow for more spectators than Ballarat
  • membership numbers are growing irrespective of Ballarat and attendances at Etihad are growing likewise, which will mean many supporters won't be able to attend games at Ballarat if a significant number are prepared to travel
  • I understand the financial imperatives the club faces but I would like to see the comparative figures of the projected income from the Ballarat initiative with those of an improved Etihad deal when the AFL takes over the stadium
  • I hate cold weather and I will freeze my arse off in Ballarat in mid winter!!
Do these concerns mean I won't support the initiative by not buying a membership or not occasionally attending games fixtured there? Certainly not. It will take some adjustment however, because I really like Etihad, I'm comfortable there and I can get there easily and cheaply. For me, it will be a bit 'wait and see': perhaps I will be won over to some extent during this adjustment, but whether I will enjoy travelling to Ballarat to see my team play is another question entirely. Like I said, I'll give it a go!

For those who wish to get more information on the Ballarat Initiative this website is a good starting point: http://www.ballarat.vic.gov.au/news.aspx?article=44563

Might actually make money with smaller crowds as opposed to losing money at Etihad.

Big question is will it cost us once the AFL buy Etihad? If we are suddenly locked in to playing a game or two in Ballarat and it makes us less money than an "un-Collins-bastardised" Etihad deal it will feel a bit silly. I do like the sounds of how it is developing though!

Big question is will it cost us once the AFL buy Etihad? If we are suddenly locked in to playing a game or two in Ballarat and it makes us less money than an "un-Collins-bastardised" Etihad deal it will feel a bit silly. I do like the sounds of how it is developing though!
Wasnt there speculation or kite-flying earlier this year that Etihad would be renovated or bulldozed (and we'd get a relocated boutique stadium) or something like that, and the whole AFL debt thing would start over again?

Until we see the detail of the post-AFL takeover I wouldn't be counting any chickens. They may yet find a way to screw us, whereas Ballarat is something we have a tad more control over and it's unique to the Bulldogs.

Even if the Etihad deal becomes more lucrative than Ballarat on gate takings and match returns we might still be better off in the long run with the broadening of our heartland into western Victoria.

All fair points was just asking the question. You would hope if we play in Ballarat we wouldn't play in Cairns going forward? Don't want too many home games away from Etihad where we clearly play better footy
I'd not be against it. We have a great record up north, and i reckon that game provides a bit of a break for the team. They normally head up early that week, do community stuff, and it means they get out of dreary Melbourne in the middle of July. Besides, we bring in i think 600-700k just from that game. I'm all for keeping that game, at least until we up Ballarat to two games which could take 2-3yrs. Next year, 1 in Cairns and 1 in Ballarat is a good mix.

Wasnt there speculation or kite-flying earlier this year that Etihad would be renovated or bulldozed (and we'd get a relocated boutique stadium) or something like that, and the whole AFL debt thing would start over again?

Until we see the detail of the post-AFL takeover I wouldn't be counting any chickens. They may yet find a way to screw us, whereas Ballarat is something we have a tad more control over and it's unique to the Bulldogs.

Even if the Etihad deal becomes more lucrative than Ballarat on gate takings and match returns we might still be better off in the long run with the broadening of our heartland into western Victoria.
20yrs down the track, we could end up with a situation similar to Geelong where we've got a 30k stadium we play all our smaller games at an bigger games @ Etihad. Cats cream just shy of a million each game at KP, how could we say no to that prospect.

20yrs down the track, we could end up with a situation similar to Geelong where we've got a 30k stadium we play all our smaller games at an bigger games @ Etihad. Cats cream just shy of a million each game at KP, how could we say no to that prospect.

I'd take anything that wins us a flag except for moving interstate, changing colours or changing name again.

This is a deal that will solidify the Bulldogs for the next 100 years! #lolnorf are dealing with the devil (the Tassie Devil) if the AFL decide to put the squeeze on for a team in Tas they are the ones likely to go. We are feathering our nest in our backyard and I think it's a fantastic initiative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back