Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

oh you poor members who don't get the value for money you were expecting.

I didn't even go to a game this year yet I still paid my (interstate) membership and social club.
I see it as my contribution to the club i love.

How about thinking "what can I do for my club" rather than what is my club doing for me !!!!!!!!!!!

I lived in London for 8 years and was a paid up member and social club member for every year. I can afford it, yet not every member can and the club should always treat members with respect and keep them well informed.

With the rumour that Stringer is nominating Geelong because he likes the country lifestyle and it is still only an hour away from his daughters, playing games in Ballarat gets us into the frame for him to return. All those knocking the Ballarat move will now be calling for additional games there to get our boy home. ;)

I'll support the club and Ballarat is better than interstate games yet overall I'm not sold on the idea.

I tend to agree with Mattdougie on this. I live in Torquay and its takes 1 hour and half to go to the footy. I go every week. No reason why people from Ballarat cant get the train to Southern cross.

Because it opend the game up to those that live an hour and half away from Ballarat. They now don't have to drive 3hrs to a game.

I'll support the club and Ballarat is better than interstate games yet overall I'm not sold on the idea.

I tend to agree with Mattdougie on this. I live in Torquay and its takes 1 hour and half to go to the footy. I go every week. No reason why people from Ballarat cant get the train to Southern cross.

To be fair quite a lot do. (and beyond Ballarat too.)

You need
In all likelihood there will be more new members in Ballarat than Cairns, after all it is only an 70 minute drive from our home ground.

However we never lost in Cairns, the players loved going there and the supporters who made the trip loved the experience.

Tell me someone who went to Ballarat, who could say the loved that experience, it was cold, windy and we lost.
I think that everybody who actually went to the Ballarat game had a great day. The crowd was in great spirit, the Council created a carnival feel and atmosphere in the city and around the railway station to welcome visitors.

You guys also should consider that an extra several thousand members from around Ballarat over several years will equate to more regularly travelling down the road/railway to Melbourne to watch Etihad games. Those people numbers would unlikely travel from Cairns.

From today's Ballarat Courier:

WESTERN Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has reaffirmed the club’s commitment to strengthening ties in the Ballarat region
Victoria Stone-Meadows
13 Oct 2017, 8:01 a.m.
WESTERN Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has reaffirmed the club’s commitment to strengthening ties in the Ballarat region and expanding Mars Stadium.

Before his keynote address at the National Economic Development Association’s gala dinner and awards night, Mr Gordon said the club is enthusiastic about its future in Ballarat.

He said the club is keen to see the stadium upgraded to fit 25,000 spectators with grandstands to allow seating for 10,000 to 15,000 people.

“While we were thrilled with the first game, it’s been over 30 years since the Dogs played in Victoria in front of a crowd as small as 11,000,” he said. “We understand, and the state government understands, to be viable moving forward we need to grow the stadium.

“We don’t want to make a cookie-cutter of any stadium anywhere in the world and we have some unique opportunities to showcase Ballarat nationally and internationally.” Among other plans for the ground, Mr Gordon said he wants to be able to showcase natural features such as Mount Buninyong through clever TV camera positioning.

eureka-stadium-201705-1.jpg

Mars Stadium and Ballarat's two extinct volcano mountains (Warrenheip (left) and Buninyong (Right)) form a unquie backdrop to the city.

He also suggested using Ballarat’s notoriously cold weather to the stadium’s advantage by offering open fires for spectators to gather around before and after games. The Bulldogs have committed to playing two home games at Mars Stadium in the 2018 AFL premiership season, but Mr Gordon said that is just the beginning.

In speaking about the future of the Western Bulldogs in Ballarat, Mr Gordon related to the stories of his family’s past and used shared history as a common point between Footscray and Ballarat. “My great-grandfather came to Ballarat in 1854 and stayed until he died; we want to mirror my great-grandfather’s business plan,” he said. “We are committed to contributing to the City of Ballarat and in particular footy in Ballarat. That means we want to bring opportunities for women and men to play it and watch it.”

While the Bulldogs cannot commit to bringing any AFLW matches to Ballarat in 2018, Mr Gordon said women’s footy is high on the agenda for future matches at Mars Stadium. He also flagged that the Bulldogs want to assist in bringing new Ballarat based footy clubs into the VFL and the VFLW to replace the North Ballarat Roosters.

“The vision of what footy in Ballarat can be is extraordinary,” Mr Gordon said.

Last edited:
Thanks Roogal, nice to have a positive story for a change.

This is the first media article on us in weeks that hasn't been critical of our handling of Jake Stringer. I was expecting them to work it in somewhere...

From Ballarat Courier this morning:

Western Bulldogs will take on Gold Coast and Port Adelaide in AFL home and away games at Ballarat’s Mars Stadium next year. The Bulldogs face the Suns in round seven on Saturday, May 5, at 1.45pm, and Power in round 19 on Sunday, July 29, at 3.20pm.

This will be Port Adelaide’s second visit to Ballarat for premiership points. Power defeated Western Bulldogs last season in the first AFL home and away fixture in Ballarat. (Okay sorry ... like you Bulldogs supporters needed reminding of that)

These matches will follow the Bulldogs’ pre-season JLT Community Series clash with Hawthorn on Saturday, March 3.

A word of advice, the weather in Ballarat can still be quite nice in early May (around the mid to high teens), but by July it will be brutal (around 10 degrees with 60% chance of rain). Also light might be an issue to some degree for the July 29th game as sunset occurs at 5.35 pm on that day, while the game is not scheduled to finish until 6 pm when it will be practically dark in Ballarat at that time of year, particularly if it is already overcast. The lights at Mars Stadium are certainly bright enough to illuminate the oval for competition football and are about 50% brighter than those currently installed at Whitten Oval, However they are not classified bright enough for digital TV broadcast, that's going to be interesting. I'll be interested to see what the back-up plan is for that. The image below shows exactly what the lighting and dusk sky will be like by 6 pm:

r183_0_3852_2064_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

20901957_173578873187854_1379730249243164672_n.jpg

At least Peter Gordon might get his wish, the spectators might need the bonfires to find their way out of the ground and everybody might get given a complimentary Bulldogs candle.

Last edited:
From Ballarat Courier this morning:

Western Bulldogs will take on Gold Coast and Port Adelaide in AFL home and away games at Ballarat’s Mars Stadium next year. The Bulldogs face the Suns in round seven on Saturday, May 5, at 1.45pm, and Power in round 19 on Sunday, July 29, at 3.20pm.

This will be Port Adelaide’s second visit to Ballarat for premiership points. Power defeated Western Bulldogs last season in the first AFL home and away fixture in Ballarat.

These matches will follow the Bulldogs’ pre-season JLT Community Series clash with Hawthorn on Saturday, March 3.

A word of advice, the weather in Ballarat can still be quite nice in early May (around the mid to high teens), but by July it will be brutal (around 10 degrees with 60% chance of rain). Also light might be an issue to some degree for the July 29th game as sunset occurs at 5.35 pm on that day and it is not scheduled to finish until 6 pm when it will be practically dark in Ballarat at that time of year, particularly if it is already overcast. The lights at Mars Stadium are certainly bright enough to illuminate the oval for competition football and are about 50% brighter than those currently installed at Whitten Oval, However they are not classified bright enough for digital TV broadcast, that's going to be interesting. I'll be interested to see what the back-up plan is for that. The image below shows exactly what the lighting and dusk sky will be like by 6 pm:

r183_0_3852_2064_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Having lived in the region now for nearly 5 years, July is a doddle! Snow, sleet, cold, rain - pah! It's just like the old days at Western Oval (and Arden Street and all the other suburban grounds) standing in freezing cold and rain. At least at Mars in July in 2018 no-one will need to negotiate the male toilets ankle deep in water/urine a-la 1960s/1970s!

Perhaps some people on here should read the Western Bulldogs Facebook page comments on Ballarat games and realise that most members are far from impressed with these games and the fact they have to pay extra for “home” games and a lot say the experience was sub par and won’t be returning.

But I guess I’m making that up and creating mass alts on the page.

The reality is a very small minority of members what these games and people can think what they want but turning your die hard members off in the “hope” you might sign a few new members is awful business.

But hey that’s simple business sense from the 60s apparently.

Facebook pages complain about anything and everything in the comments section irrespective if it's a positive post or not.

No one professionally is going to source Facebook comments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Facebook pages complain about anything and everything in the comments section irrespective if it's a positive post or not.

No one professionally is going to source Facebook comments

No why would you listen to 100s of members posting their dislike of the idea

They only do it to whinge hahaha

Just noticed on the club's website that Mars is now a platinum partner joining Sovereign Hill, Petstock and Selkirk as other Ballarat based sponsors.

Most of our fans (including me) would prefer we played all our home matches in Melbourne, but we need to grow our financial strength to maximise our chances of on-field success and the available evidence is that what the Ballarat strategy is doing.

An interesting interview with Peter Gordon on podcast, he discusses his views on the vision and growing of the Western Bulldogs brand, I recommend that you ALL take the time to listen. It goes for about 18 minutes, but this man is talking about the future of YOUR Club. He's clearly focused and is a man with a plan. Mr Gordon talks of his grand vision of developing VU Whitten Oval and Mars Stadium both as Western Bulldogs VFL and AFLW hubs and community rallying points. His vision is that each venue will be developed as modern stadiums with one as a hub for Western Melbourne and the other for Western Victoria under a greater Western Bulldogs umbrella stretching from Footscray out to Horsham. He talks about Ballarat being part of a long-term strategy to win the hearts and minds of everybody west of the Docklands. He's mindful that they can't just march into Ballarat and declare ownership and that it must be a longer term commitment.

I recommend it. CLICK HERE

Last edited:
More great work Roogal.
Thank you. I do maintain that football is a Winter game and between the 9 home games and several other 'away' games that the Bulldogs play at Etihad Stadium each season, that the Dogs play far too much indoor football in the rarified and sanitised conditions of Etihad. Yet interestingly, few (if any) finals ever get played at Etihad these days. They have to be able to win under all conditions. I appreciate that these words aren't music to the ears of the critics of the Ballarat venture.

Consider that North Ballarat Roosters became a powerhouse for many years having adapted to playing at the old Eureka Oval with its mud, frigid chill, and cyclonic conditions before the stands were built, and the oval being rebuilt into the best surface in the competition.

Last edited:
Thank you. I do maintain that football is a Winter game and between the 9 home games and several other 'away' games that the Bulldogs play at Etihad Stadium each season, that the Dogs play far too much indoor football in the rarified and sanitised conditions of Etihad. Yet interestingly, few (if any) finals ever get played at Etihad these days. They have to be able to win under all conditions. I appreciate that these words aren't music to the ears of the critics of the Ballarat venture.

Consider that North Ballarat Roosters became a powerhouse for many years having adapted to playing at the old Eureka Oval with its mud, frigid chill, and cyclonic conditions before the stands were built, and the oval being rebuilt into the best surface in the competition.
Contentious theory Roogal.

Logically it sounds OK but we didn't win a flag between 1955 and 1997 or whenever it was that we played our last game at VUWO. Surely being able to play in such inhospitable windy conditions should have equipped us for anything!

A small piece of evidence in support of what you say is that we are the first Etihad based club to win the flag since 2000. Maybe that's not a statistically significant sample but on average you'd expect four, not one, over 17 years.

Obviously many other factors are also at play here. My suggested solution is that they should put a roof on the MCG. :):zap:

You still read Facebook MD I never knew you where over 65 Next then thing you will be telling me that you have a beard which was cool until 3 years ago
:)

Never had a beard and nearly a 1/3 of the world entire population use Facebook but hey I guess that’s only a few people.

And beards were never cool

Playing nothing games in a pissant stadium in a freezing town in winter is about 30 years ago but apparently it’s a ghoof idea now and can also help us climitaoae for playing outdoors in spring in Melbourne !!

Lol the desperation to make this dud idea look good is laughable from one “unbiased” spud

Contentious theory Roogal.

Logically it sounds OK but we didn't win a flag between 1955 and 1997 or whenever it was that we played our last game at VUWO. Surely being able to play in such inhospitable windy conditions should have equipped us for anything!

A small piece of evidence in support of what you say is that we are the first Etihad based club to win the flag since 2000. Maybe that's not a statistically significant sample but on average you'd expect four, not one, over 17 years.

Obviously many other factors are also at play here. My suggested solution is that they should put a roof on the MCG. :):zap:
A roof on the MCG, then they'd have to put a roof on every other major stadium in the country where AFL is played. They'd have to build an air conditioned stadium in Darwin, a rain proof stadium in Cairns, a heated stadium in Canberra (which is colder than Ballarat). We must remind ourselves that it is a Winter game and that 90% of football games in this country are played on virtual paddocks (outside the cities). In the last four years Ballarat Council have invested ten million dollars upgrading seven ovals to all-weather standard with four of those exactly the same surface standard as Mars Stadium. Each of these grounds have had professional and semi-professional competition standard lights added.

They haven't finished, the old main City Oval is the latest oval getting a brand new oval and lights with the Eastern Oval (it's premier cricket ground) soon to be upgraded to the same level as the Junction Oval with Cricket Class 2 standard lighting (brighter than Mars Stadium). At least while none of these grounds will have a roof, the football players across Ballarat will have the best ovals in the State (possibly Australia) to train and to play on. ☺

Nobody can accuse them of under-investing in Football's future. Mars Stadium has great potential for expansion and for development as a real showpiece. Consider that Launceston's York Park (UTAS Stadium) started life similarly in 1999:

images

But they have taken shortcuts by taking scaffold stands and building roofs over them and concreting under them to create an illusion of a 22,000 capacity stadium. Their ground still realistically only seats 13,500 in what are essentially semi-permanent metal stands:

utas-stadium-aerial-shot.jpg

If they're going to develop the ground at Ballarat, at least do the thing properly. Over time, build a train station over the road, build proper grandstands, establish good and accessible car parking, and promote development around the ground.

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume the Western Bulldogs - Ballarat model may be followed by other clubs in other regional cities? Albury-Wodonga, Bendigo, Wangaratta, Shepparton all come to mind that could benefit Melbourne clubs whilst also benefitting those cities.

Is it safe to assume the Western Bulldogs - Ballarat model may be followed by other clubs in other regional cities? Albury-Wodonga, Bendigo, Wangaratta, Shepparton all come to mind that could benefit Melbourne clubs whilst also benefitting those cities.
Well no, it's certainly not safe to assume that it will happen, but it's an interesting question. For all the selling of games to regional centres I can't think of any serious attempts to cultivate a Victorian region with H&A games like we are doing in Ballarat. Pretty much all of the others have been in non-Victorian places with a reasonable population that have been deprived of direct access to footy games - Darwin, Alice Springs, Cairns, Hobart, Launceston, Canberra and you could even count NZ.

So if I'm not mistaken this was the first attempt to genuinely embrace a Victorian regional centre with a long term commitment to play 1-2 home games there each year. (Some might say NM was a forerunner in Ballarat.)

I think other clubs will be waiting at least a couple of years to see whether what we have done is giving us some traction and growth in the target area. If so then Bendigo, La Trobe Valley and Victoria's North-East (Wang/Shep/Beechworth/Wodonga) could become targets, although the NSW clubs might try to claim Albury-Wodonga as their own.

Can't see Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond or Essendon doing it because they all have a very strong membership base and lucrative Melbourne-based fixtures so they don't need to expend energy and strategic focus on such ventures. Similarly Hawthorn and North already have initiatives under way in Tasmania. That leaves only St Kilda and Melbourne as likely candidates. Maybe North too, if they don't see the Hobart thing working out. Geelong could perhaps focus on growing its support in the west (Colac/Warrnambool/Hamilton/Portland) but they are in no hurry to sell any home fixtures so I doubt they'd go out there to play H&A games.

The problem for St Kilda and Melbourne is they have no natural affinity with any of the likely regions, at least not in the same way we can say that Ballarat is a natural extension of our western corridor. I suppose Melbourne could claim Mt Hotham, Bright, Mansfield as a "natural affinity". ;)

My guess is that if Ballarat is deemed a fail after say 5-10 years, all the other clubs will say "phew, we dodged a bullet there" but if it succeeds we'll be a long way ahead of anyone else. And by then the footy and demographic context might have changed anyway.

If anyone did adopt the same strategy my money would be on the Bendigo/Central Victoria region as the most attractive. Strong population growth (with a changing demographic) and close enough for new supporters to travel to Melbourne for home games when they are not played at Bendigo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back