Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard from the mouth of Ahmeet Bains himself at a function the other week that, to put it in perspective, we made $700k out of our game v Gold Coast in Ballarat last year.

At the corresponding game against them this year at Marvel we made $70k.

While the difference is that stark there’s a pretty clear incentive to continue but I’d much rather be at Marvel this week. I suppose our best course is to make it as cosy a home ground as we can in the short term.

Hopefully greater membership and a better stadium deal or WO for small games can give us another option.

Would be interesting to know what City of Ballarat make? I assume the whole $700k profit is not from them, probably additional profit for us from coterie, etc, but even if they’re forking out $500k per game, do they get that back in tourism revenue, accommodation, etc?

Would be interesting to know what City of Ballarat make? I assume the whole $700k profit is not from them, probably additional profit for us from coterie, etc, but even if they’re forking out $500k per game, do they get that back in tourism revenue, accommodation, etc?
[/QUOTE]

Most of the money is from state government sponsorship.

[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? My understanding was City of Ballarat are paying significantly to encourage us to play here. Is the State Govt underwriting that?

Are you sure? My understanding was City of Ballarat are paying significantly to encourage us to play here. Is the State Govt underwriting that?

Reports such as the one below refer to the Andrews government providing very large amounts for us to play there and every time I've heard Peter Gordon talk about us playing there he specifically references the Andrews government sponsorship. I understand the City of Ballarat also contributes but they are not one of the bigger councils in Victoria.

Last edited:

[/QUOTE]
The Ballarat Council don't pay a cent otherwise their logo would be on the Western Bulldogs branding which looks like this:
City-of-Ballarat-1.jpg

The City Council's contribution would be the free access that the club gets granted to its training and playing facilities at Mars Stadium as well as the corporate areas. The Club doesn't pay fees to use Mars Stadium. The direct funding of the Bulldogs would likely be covered through the State Tourism Budget as is the case with North Melbourne and the Hawks who are both sponsored via the Tourism Tasmania budget.

The weather forecast is improving with a forecast now of 'Possible shower, less than 1 mm of rain, 11 degrees and a 20 kph SW wind. Sounds remarkably similar to the weather for the game earlier this year. For the locals without Foxtel or Telstra Accounts, there are ten venues around the city which are televising the game via big screens including:

Zagame’s Ballarat Hotel
639 Main Road, Ballarat Central
(03) 5333 5955

The Sporting Globe Ballarat
201 Mair Street, Ballarat Central
(03) 5338 8101

The Western Hotel
1221 Sturt Street, Ballarat West
(03) 5332 2218

Minerdome Sports Club
994 Grevillea Rd, Wendouree
(03) 5339 3166

Red Lion Ballarat
1321 Main Road, Ballarat Central
(03) 5331 3393

Ballarat Trotting Club
Cnr Bell Street & Sutton Street, Redan
(03) 5335 9041

The Golf House Hotel
920 Doveton St N, Ballarat North
(03) 5331 2673

The Park Hotel
1615 Sturt St, Ballarat
(03) 5334 1470

Ballarat Leagues Club
52 Humffray Street North, Ballarat Central
(03) 5331 3348

Blue Bell Hotel
1216 Howitt Street, Wendouree
(03) 5339 1234

The Ballarat Council don't pay a cent otherwise their logo would be on the Western Bulldogs branding which looks like this:
City-of-Ballarat-1.jpg

The City Council's contribution would be the free access that the club gets granted to its training and playing facilities at Mars Stadium as well as the corporate areas. The Club doesn't pay fees to use Mars Stadium. The direct funding of the Bulldogs would likely be covered through the State Tourism Budget as is the case with North Melbourne and the Hawks who are both sponsored via the Tourism Tasmania budget.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the confirmation.
(Btw I’m well aware of the City of Ballarat logo, as I live and work in the area.)

Saturday 24 August
Summary
showers.png
Min 5Max 14Late shower or two.Possible rainfall: 2 to 4 mmChance of any rain: 70%
rain_70.gif

Mostly sunny morning. High (70%) chance of showers in the afternoon and evening. Winds north to northwesterly 25 to 35 km/h shifting south to southwesterly 25 to 30 km/h during the evening.

Saturday 24 August
Summary
showers.png
Min 5Max 14Late shower or two.Possible rainfall: 2 to 4 mmChance of any rain: 70%
rain_70.gif

Mostly sunny morning. High (70%) chance of showers in the afternoon and evening. Winds north to northwesterly 25 to 35 km/h shifting south to southwesterly 25 to 30 km/h during the evening.

Where's Sunday's weather (Game day)

City-of-Ballarat-1.jpg

[/QUOTE]

So in actual fact Ballarat don’t pay us a single cent?

Tax money from every Victorian does?

This deal just gets better every day.

City-of-Ballarat-1.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Lol you know exactly where the money comes from.

Your sudden case of information forgetfulness is astounding.

First we have over 4000 members on the area and now you have no idea where the money comes for a game you have been the number one promoter of for 4 years?

For someone that has all the info your latest is conveniently wrong or downright lies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting, will be cold but not necessarily wet.

All things considered I think we’d prefer fine conditions as it suits our current style. A soggy miserable day might slow our ball movement which probably suits the Crows, who have had trouble with run.
Oh well, come what may both teams will have to play under the same conditions. Given the amount of rain (70mm and the average for August is 74mm) and the very few sunny days that they have had in Ballarat this month, I would expect that the ground may play a bit heavy.

Last edited:
R22 2017 - Port 96-79 Bulldogs
R7 2018 - Bulldogs 81-72 Gold Coast
R19 2018 - Port 78-34 Bulldogs
R8 2019 - Bulldogs 92-76 Brisbane

Four games at Ballarat, not once has a team has scored more than 100 points.

Make no mistake, this game will be tough. I actually think it suits Adelaide pretty well, because they're a slow team.

R22 2017 - Port 96-79 Bulldogs
R7 2018 - Bulldogs 81-72 Gold Coast
R19 2018 - Port 78-34 Bulldogs
R8 2019 - Bulldogs 92-76 Brisbane

Four games at Ballarat, not once has a team has scored more than 100 points.

Make no mistake, this game will be tough. I actually think it suits Adelaide pretty well, because they're a slow team.
Interesting point, the Adelaide supporters are already writing this game off believing that they will get hammered by the Bulldogs. I reckon you're right that it might be a low scorer. Most outdoor games in Victoria throughout the last month have been low scoring, probably a reflection of the amount of rain that the State has had.

Sorry if this has been asked already but what is the parking situation at Mars? Is there a car park or is it just on-street parking nearby?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back