Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Some good points and like I said was happy to give it a go. Yet privately the club must have concerns after plummeting crowds last year (poor scheduling didn't help). This years two games will be very important.
I'd just like a bit of transparency. Please tell me they are tracking the numbers. Eg. 2,000 people who attended were from the Ballarat region. If after 5 years you cannot get 8,000 Ballarat people or 75% of the crowd from that region or what is the point? So far I've heard nothing as a member on this?

P.S Membership and reserve seat for me is always a donation to the club (even though I go every week). Yet the year we lost a home reserve seat game the annual reserve seat prices still went up which was a bit cheeky by the club.

Need to see what happens next season with better drawing opposition of crows and another Melbourne based club playing there. If need be dogs could make a deal with a club like Carlton, norf or Hawks to play a game there to attract more interest.

Need to see what happens next season with better drawing opposition of crows and another Melbourne based club playing there. If need be dogs could make a deal with a club like Carlton, norf or Hawks to play a game there to attract more interest.

Why would we give up a game that we can get a decent crowd to in Melbourne?

Completely defeats the purpose of trying to grow a brand.

The fact that acvlub that has 40000 odd members that are telling the club they don’t want to drive up there and watch the game is enough. We should be able to fill the joint ourselves with some neutral Ballarat support.

So much short term thinking going on here.

Marvel Stadium probably will not be around in 10-15 years time and by then future growth in the western region of Melbourne will be limited.

If the club thinks it can survive with abase of inner west hipsters, I would be worried about their strategy.

By then the big growth areas in Victoria will be the regional centres- Ballarat, Geelong, Bendigo, Warragul etc.. so having a second base with Whitten oval will be a really good strategic move.

Paid by the taxpayer- even better!!

So much short term thinking going on here.

Marvel Stadium probably will not be around in 10-15 years time and by then future growth in the western region of Melbourne will be limited.

If the club thinks it can survive with abase of inner west hipsters, I would be worried about their strategy.

By then the big growth areas in Victoria will be the regional centres- Ballarat, Geelong, Bendigo, Warragul etc.. so having a second base with Whitten oval will be a really good strategic move.

Paid by the taxpayer- even better!!

Tell me how the stadium the AFL own outright won’t be around?

What business plan would exist for them to rip it down?

Point Cook, Tarneit, Truganina, Werribee, Wyndhamvale are all growing at monumental rates.

Please explain how targeting any other area than that makes sense? I guess Collingwood are deep into the area because they see no future and should head to Bendigo perhaps?

Tell me how the stadium the AFL own outright won’t be around?

What business plan would exist for them to rip it down?

Point Cook, Tarneit, Truganina, Werribee, Wyndhamvale are all growing at monumental rates.

Please explain how targeting any other area than that makes sense? I guess Collingwood are deep into the area because they see no future and should head to Bendigo perhaps?

Pouring even more resources into the area that’s already literally the densest population of Dogs supporters to the exclusion of everywhere else is such a monumentally stupid idea.

And it’s not an alternative to playing games in Ballarat in any way, shape or form. They’re not even related issues. Wyndham and the government aren’t putting up any cash for us to play there - the area can’t even get enough government funding for proper health services, let alone a half decent footy ground.

What a joke haha

Pouring even more resources into the area that’s already literally the densest population of Dogs supporters to the exclusion of everywhere else is such a monumentally stupid
What a joke haha

Can you provide the data that supports your assertion that Wyndham has the densest population of Bulldogs supporters?

Does your data also demonstrate this support is larger than Geelong, Essendon, Collingwood and North Melbourne?

What are the programs the club is involved in within Wyndham which has a population over 116,000 larger than the city of greater Ballarat. No that is not a made up number you are proposing an established area with a population 116,000 less is of more value to the long term growth of our club.

Btw within 15 years that will be 200,000 more.

Another fact is the city of Melton again actually in our backyard has a population 35,000 greater than Ballarat, but we are leaving that one to Essendon.

So between Wyndham and Melton there is as of 2017 over 370,000 and despite your assertions we are not the biggest club in there and will never be when we let other clubs do the ground work whilst we take some money and try and grow our base in a population over 250,000 smaller.

Yep those against the Ballarat intiative are really just thinking short term.

Monumentally stupid is not recognising a significant issue in strategy and changing it before it does too much damage to your support base

Why would we give up a game that we can get a decent crowd to in Melbourne?

Completely defeats the purpose of trying to grow a brand.

The fact that acvlub that has 40000 odd members that are telling the club they don’t want to drive up there and watch the game is enough. We should be able to fill the joint ourselves with some neutral Ballarat support.
Nah MD we are monumentally stupid

Can you provide the data that supports your assertion that Wyndham has the densest population of Bulldogs supporters?

Does your data also demonstrate this support is larger than Geelong, Essendon, Collingwood and North Melbourne?

What are the programs the club is involved in within Wyndham which has a population over 116,000 larger than the city of greater Ballarat. No that is not a made up number you are proposing an established area with a population 116,000 less is of more value to the long term growth of our club.

Another fact is the city of Melton again actually in our backyard has a population 35,000 greater than Ballarat, but we are leaving that one to Essendon.

So between Wyndham and Melton there is as of 2017 over 370,000 and despite your assertions we are not the biggest club in there and will never be when we let other clubs do the ground work whilst we take some money and try and grow our base in a population over 250,000 smaller.

Monumentally stupid is not recognising a significant issue in strategy and changing it before it does too much damage to your support base

I think it’s debate is more directed at the instigator than the issue.

Anyone that says we shouldn’t be absolutely planting our flag in the area I mentioned simply has zero idea of the area or an agenda

I will never understand how not targeting the fastest growing area in Melbourne now instead of an area 90 mins away that MAY be growing at that rate in 30 years is an intelligent idea.

I think it’s debate is more directed at the instigator than the issue.

Anyone that says we shouldn’t be absolutely planting our flag in the area I mentioned simply has zero idea of the area or an agenda

I will never understand how not targeting the fastest growing area in Melbourne now instead of an area 90 mins away that MAY be growing at that rate in 30 years is an intelligent idea.
Its not only the fastest growing area but with Melton is already over 270,000 people more. Just a 5% penetration rate in potentially 13,500 more members today let alone at current growth rates

Its not only the fastest growing area but with Melton is already over 270,000 people more. Just a 5% penetration rate in potentially 13,500 more members today let alone at current growth rates

But surely travelling 90 mins away to an area that has a aged population an existing team loyalities is a far better decision?

It’s clear the Ballarat people have really got behind the project so far and id imagine games against interstate teams no one cares about will only enhance the idea. I mean a whole 500-600 of them attended this year.

Then let’s add weather, time slot, attractiveness of contest and destination city and how this isn’t an Anzac Day equivalent is astounding.

I’m sure if we persist by 2037 we may be able to fill the 18000 capacity stadium.

Need to do better with the East West day across town for a start. I really feel for the hard work that is done by the people involved in the East West club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to do better with the East West day across town for a start. I really feel for the hard work that is done by the people involved in the East West club.

Absolutely I agree.

We aren’t exactly kicking goals i this task in any area.

Im a member of both the Western Bulldogs and East West Bulldogs.

My kids go to a school in Point Cook and guess how many times the bulldogs have been to their school in the last 3 years?

I will add that Norf have been three times, the Pies twice, and the cats once

My kids go to a school in Point Cook and guess how many times the bulldogs have been to their school in the last 3 years?

wow that is pathetic. Everyone else with kids going to primary school in the western suburbs need to post how many times they have seen a bulldogs player visit. This needs to be called out.

wow that is pathetic. Everyone else with kids going to primary school in the western suburbs need to post how many times they have seen a bulldogs player visit. This needs to be called out.

They have actually been once and it was last year

The club sent Greene and Prudden So clearly they thought it was important.

They have actually been once and it was last year

The club sent Greene and Prudden So clearly they thought it was important.

Back a long time the East West day used have the full WB team come out for a training session etc nowadays it’s only a handful of players that come out. McLean, Schache, Lynch, Crozier, Dunkley and Daniel come out on Saturday for the kids clinic.

That is disappointing Mattdougie.

Back a long time the East West day used have the full WB team come out for a training session etc nowadays it’s only a handful of players that come out. McLean, Schache, Lynch, Crozier, Dunkley and Daniel come out on Saturday for the kids clinic.

It really is when the Ballarat project is simply a pay day for the present.

If the club decides to hold a day ANYWHERE the majority of the squad should be there.

They don’t hold many so at least go all out for the ones they do.

Be interesting to see who they can drag out to Ballarat coz I’m betting the players aren’t lining up for it

Pretty sure mate that visits to schools and attendance at clinics is done through the AFL and the Players Association. There is a set number of players who can attend clinics and the club does not have the power to send players to schools of their choice. That is what I read somewhere anyway.

There is a lot more benefits to selling a game or 2 to Ballarat than a place like Cairns, Darwin, Hobart, China etc. Also places like Point Cook, Wyndham, Werribee. Did not offer/ or have offered a deal and may not be even looking at upgrading their ovals to AFL standards. Even if they are they're behind the curve now.

The main draw for playing in Ballarat is not crowds (Look at norfs Hobart attendance or the cairns game this year. They're not much better.) or possibility 500 3 game memberships. But the chance to get to more full memberships which will be harder to do elsewhere being too far away. The other benefits are merchandise sales which go back straight to the club thanks to the bulldogs shop and HQ rather than to AFL. There's also a ground to train away from Whitten oval. Another big draw is VFL, AFLW & VFLW games which wont work elsewhere. Last but not least is promoting tourism in which is essentially dogs own back yard and keeping money in Victoria.

Ballarat wanted a team to play there to bring in tourists. If it wasn't going to be dogs it was going to be another team. They would of upgraded the oval regardless if dogs played there or not. The crowd numbers wont matter for a few years as long as it draws people from outside the area.

The only few problems was dogs played games against clubs who over the last 2 years have drawn very low crowds throughout the season. Port is the worse of the lot for their supporters not turning up for games even at home. Gold coast barely has members outside of GC. Their worst game was against north Melbourne at the gabba which says a lot about their members not bothering to travel even to Brisbane to support their team. Time slots this year were another problem. They need to be 1 within the first 4 rounds and the 2nd in the last 4 rounds with a Saturday afternoon slot or midday Sunday slot. There's problably a few more things the council and dogs can tweak to help but there's probably little need until more data is collected.

In the end it's not going to hurt the dogs or it's members to miss a couple of home games a year that they probably would of missed anyways for a similar deal in some other state.

Haha you want evidence? To counter an argument that is just nonsensical anecdotal rubbish? If you believe old mate’s crap about the Dogs not visiting schools in Wyndham that’s on you.

The Dogs have had a specific schools program that targets Wyndham AND Melton for years: http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/sta...ern Bulldogs Pre Service Teacher handbook.pdf

A simple google search will take you to a bunch of Hun and other articles containing statistics showing Wyndham and surrounds have been the Bulldogs strongest area for membership for years.

Melton is part of our NGA, 25 minutes out of Ballarat and a large part of the reason we’re putting our stamp on that area. lol c’mon man...

Arguing that we should sell our games to China because we should do even more school visits to Wyndham schools than we already do IS monumentally stupid. It doesn’t even make sense. They’re not alternative ideas. The club is doing both.

Demanding the club back out of Ballarat after a couple years for no good reason so we can go back to selling games all over the country/world is the definition of low rent short-term thinking.

Similar story over the last decade when my kids went to school in Werribee and Truganina

But surely travelling 90 mins away to an area that has a aged population an existing team loyalities is a far better decision?

It’s clear the Ballarat people have really got behind the project so far and id imagine games against interstate teams no one cares about will only enhance the idea. I mean a whole 500-600 of them attended this year.

Then let’s add weather, time slot, attractiveness of contest and destination city and how this isn’t an Anzac Day equivalent is astounding.

I’m sure if we persist by 2037 we may be able to fill the 18000 capacity stadium.
It is nothing but a money grab. Which is ok but be honest about it.

Meanwhile lets use our greatest asset by far, our players time, down in Ballarat when they could be in the fastest growing and already substantially bigger population area in our own backyard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back