Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s pack the terraces out tomorrow. It will be a good day for footy. Home for dinner like the old days. Unless you live in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, distance and time just isn’t an issue. The old saying rings true “if you want to do something you’ll find a way, if you don’t you’ll find an excuse”. Even if you don’t like the fact we are selling some games there, it’s better than Darwin or Cairns, surely. Surely the variety of venues is something be a part of. Last Saturday was great at Marvel, but it’s not always great there, a bit clinical. I really enjoyed both games at Ballarat last year. Let’s just support the club that we all love.

I'd dearly love to see snow at an AFL game ... :cool:

Perhaps at the Augusr game.
Don't give up hope.
If Naughton gets a decent ride on one of Brisbane's tall defenders he might come down with a bit of snow on his shoulders.

Imo if we lose in ballarat today to another interstate team we should just pack up the whole ballarat thing and invest in bringing back whitten oval

Imo if we lose in ballarat today to another interstate team we should just pack up the whole ballarat thing and invest in bringing back whitten oval
Then stop treating Ballarat like it's an interstate game just because you have to drive an hour from Melbourne. Crikey! It's hardly the end of the Earth. It's time to accept the fact that AFL are not going to return Melbourne based teams to play on old home grounds. Carlton are not returning to Princess Park, Hawthorn are certainly not returning to Glenferrie Oval, the Bombers to Windy Hill, nor North to Arden Street or The Saints to Moorabin despite those two grounds getting significant make-overs too. Despite the planned upgrades for VU WO you have to get your head around the simple truth that the VU WO is being developed primarily for AFLW and secondarily for VFL. If the AFL acquiesce's they may in the future endulge the Western Bulldogs a VU WO home game perhaps during the heritage round. Even that's not certain, that was just Peter Gordon being whimsical too. The AFL will otherwise not play H&A games out in the burbs. :think:

You can either whimsically pine for the past and faun over Footscray of old or you can accept the club's future. :thumbsu:

If the Bulldogs actually get beaten today (I don't think that they will BTW) then it will only be by themselves. ;)

Last edited:
Then stop treating Ballarat like it's an interstate game just because you have to drive an hour from Melbourne. Crikey! It's hardly the end of the end of the Earth. It's time to accept the fact that AFL are not going to return Melbourne based teams to play on old home grounds. Carlton are not returning to Princess Park, Hawthorn are certainly not returning to Glenferrie Oval, the Bombers to Windy Hill, nor North to Arden Street or The Saints to Moorabin despite those two grounds getting significant make-overs too. Despite the planned upgrades for VU WO you have to get your head around the simple truth that the VU WO is being developed primarily for AFLW and secondarily for VFL. If the AFL acquiesce's they may in the future endulge the Western Bulldogs a VU WO home game perhaps during the heritage round. Even that's not certain, that was just Peter Gordon being whimsical too. The AFL will otherwise not play H&A games out in the burbs. :think:

You can either whimsically pine for the past and faun over Footscray of old or you can accept the club's future. :thumbsu:

If the Bulldogs actually get beaten today (I don't think that they will BTW) then it will only be by themselves. ;)
Na personally just rather play at marvel 11 home games a year

Then stop treating Ballarat like it's an interstate game just because you have to drive an hour from Melbourne. Crikey! It's hardly the end of the end of the Earth. It's time to accept the fact that AFL are not going to return Melbourne based teams to play on old home grounds. Carlton are not returning to Princess Park, Hawthorn are certainly not returning to Glenferrie Oval, the Bombers to Windy Hill, nor North to Arden Street or The Saints to Moorabin despite those two grounds getting significant make-overs too. Despite the planned upgrades for VU WO you have to get your head around the simple truth that the VU WO is being developed primarily for AFLW and secondarily for VFL. If the AFL acquiesce's they may in the future endulge the Western Bulldogs a VU WO home game perhaps during the heritage round. Even that's not certain, that was just Peter Gordon being whimsical too. The AFL will otherwise not play H&A games out in the burbs. :think:

Just wanted to say thanks for all the Ballarat updates, it is appreciated having a local keeping us informed :)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the Ballarat updates, it is appreciated having a local keeping us informed :)
Plenty of love for you folks here in the Rat 👍😀

They can't do anything about the weather except extend a warm and heartfelt welcome to the visitors and people who make it all come alive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9,039 crowd.
I think I said this last year: I had more people at my Bar Mitzvah.

1zbxbpv.jpg
;)

The club would ecstatic with today game on many levels. The crowd was good and close enough to what was typical in Cairns, the merch tents looked to be doing a steady trade, the weather was ok in a Ballarat kinda way, it didnt cost us a dime as it would've playing at Marvel and we walked away with 4 points.

Personally, Ive always been pretty agnostic about the games in Ballarat, but I must say it was an enjoyable and almost novel experience standing in the outer again.

Easy drive makes for a good day, old fashioned football experience. It is cold but most people have a coat that would be suitable for the environment. Much prefer the outdoor game to inside under the roof, basketball.

Two games a year to drive to is nothing, we make money. Been to every game in the rat and today's attendance appeared to be the biggest.

9,039 crowd.
Not a bad result considering the negative talking down that the game got about the weather over the last few days through both the media and social media. It was a bit over the top and sold the ground short.

I suspect that last July's game held on twilight and with Ballarat's Winter weather revealing it's glory spooked the horses. The ground last year held up but was let down by poor lighting and lack of cover for the crowd.

People don't give this ground the due credit that it deserves. The oval is as good if not better as a playing surface than the MCG and it has superior drainage. Yes they do need to do better now for the spectators and build more covered seating and improve the lighting. 👍

Last edited:
Ballarat is going to be excellent for us.

Everyone was quick to jump on it on the back of the Port game there last year where we played badly and was scheduled at a poor time ie 3pm on a Sunday in July.

Scheduling is much better this year.

In time it will be an excellent second home for us, people need to give it time and not give in to knee jerk reactions.

Ballarat is going to be excellent for us.

Everyone was quick to jump on it on the back of the Port game there last year where we played badly and was scheduled at a poor time ie 3pm on a Sunday in July.

Scheduling is much better this year.

In time it will be an excellent second home for us, people need to give it time and not give in to knee jerk reactions.
Stop with all the sensibility please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back