Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a bad result considering the negative talking down that the game got about the weather over the last few days through both the media and social media. It was a bit over the top and sold the ground short.

I suspect that last July's game held at twilight and with Ballarat's Winter weather revealing it's glory spooked the horses. The ground last year held up but was let down by poor lighting and lack of cover for the crowd.

People don't give this ground the due credit that it deserves. The oval is as good if not better as a playing surface than the MCG and it has superior drainage. Yes they do need to do better now for the spectators and build more covered seating and improve the lighting. 👍
I think people were quick to realise that the late game last year was an absolute disaster from a scheduling POV - made by someone who'd probably never set foot in Ballarat. The oval is always in fantastic knick but I don't think that's relevant (although it would be if it were a mud pit) - supporters just want an accessible ground that they can get to without great concern.

The drive to Ballarat is obviously more of an effort for most then heading to Marvel but the easier they can make the trip down the better success it'll be. You cant control the weather but you can control the public transport, parking and traffic leaving the ground (which wasn't ideal today).

Without having looked at the Courier I hope the players were also down during the week to build up local support, otherwise I don't see the advantage in dragging 10k down from Melbourne - there needs to be thought of a long term benefit over a quick buck which is as good as useless.

Easy drive makes for a good day, old fashioned football experience. It is cold but most people have a coat that would be suitable for the environment. Much prefer the outdoor game to inside under the roof, basketball.

Two games a year to drive to is nothing, we make money. Been to every game in the rat and today's attendance appeared to be the biggest.
From TV it appeared fuller than it was on the first game, the hill seemed packed.

I think people were quick to realise that the late game last year was an absolute disaster from a scheduling POV - made by someone who'd probably never set foot in Ballarat. The oval is always in fantastic knick but I don't think that's relevant (although it would be if it were a mud pit) - supporters just want an accessible ground that they can get to without great concern.

The drive to Ballarat is obviously more of an effort for most then heading to Marvel but the easier they can make the trip down the better success it'll be. You cant control the weather but you can control the public transport, parking and traffic leaving the ground (which wasn't ideal today).

Without having looked at the Courier I hope the players were also down during the week to build up local support, otherwise I don't see the advantage in dragging 10k down from Melbourne - there needs to be thought of a long term benefit over a quick buck which is as good as useless.
The players were in Ballarat all Friday doing promotional stuff at schools, shopping centres and of course familiarizing themselves with the conditions.

The club regularly sends players to support many programs around the region as far afield as Warrnambool, Horsham and of course Ballarat including men's sheds, reading programs in schools, footy clinics and men's and women's health check programs. The Bulldogs Shop has been a great success in generating sponsorship, promotion of the Club brand around the city, selling memberships and of course providing a 24-7 presence in the city.

Last edited:

Packed house, great vibe down there. Was good having a few Fitzroy supporters in the house as well. Sat in the stand for the first time and enjoyed it.

Well done young Cooper Craig-Peters for sorting everyone out a Big Mac haha
I forgot about the "free Big Mac" promotion from Ballarat Maccas if the Doggies won. A free Big Mac :thumbsu:

From TV it appeared fuller than it was on the first game, the hill seemed packed.

I was at the Gold Coast game in the standing area last year and I think it was 75 % more full in the standing area yesterday Great Feeling (excluding the sub continet fish retailer who scammed me with cinnamon hot chips) and the kids loving the game My feet havent had that much mud on them since Waverley park :)

Cinnamon hot chips? Ewww o_O

Do you think that he got his salt shaker for his chips mixed up with his cinnamon-sugar shaker for his donuts? :thumbsdown:

I forgot about the "free Big Mac" promotion from Ballarat Maccas if the Doggies won. A free Big Mac :thumbsu:
They obviously don’t follow the Dogs closely. We have had nothing to do with BMac since 2014. They should have been offering a free Beverage.

Last edited:
I loved the game, we had a really good time standing on the hill. Brissy supporters were really good, not feral. Wasn’t as cold as I was expecting, apart from the very sick PA system:oops: it was a great day.

Watched the game from the hill yesterday and really enjoyed the experience.

Just enough wind and rain to let you know you’re in Ballarat but not enough to put you off.

Impressed with the facilities and I’m looking forward to further improvements to the stadium and surrounds.

A good day out.

They obviously don’t follow the Dogs closely. We have had nothing to do with BMac since 2014. They should have been offering a free Beverage.
No, McDonalds Ballarat sponsor Mars Stadium and the NB Sports Club. :)

What is the Capacity? I went for first time yesterday out of sufferance - my daughter wanted to go for her birthday - but had a great time. Stood on the outer grass hill and I thought it was a good crowd without being squashed in like some games at the WO in 85 and 92 when we were up and going. As a bit of a traditionalist I enjoyed the old days vibe even including the VFL Park like crawl out of the Norman St street car parking. Need to understand the 21st century obsession with coffee a bit better - two people serving a line of 50 people at half time was a touch deflating.

Crowd was in good spirits where we were. Good humoured compared to angry drunks near Aisle 29 at Marvel. Stood at the GF ( and for 20+ years at WO) so happy to do it yesterday. Weather was no worse than a cold night on ground level at MCG, although I wasn’t at the ice blizzard last year so...

Still prefer the known convenience of catching a 30 min train to and from Tarneit that drops me outside the door at Marvel but it was a fun once a year thing to do ( cos we won). Don’t think I’d do it twice a year though. Once was enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to the Ballarat game for the fist time, was up on the hill with my wife and kids. Had an awesome time despite the weather had a really good VFL styal vibe.

I was really impressed with the grounds condition better than most foot fields.

Also thanks for the fridge full of Big Macs I got a weeks worth driving between the local maccas lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My 2nd trip to Ballarat, the 1st was the Gold Coast game. Definetly more there yesterday.

I don't want to hear another word from the critics until they have gone and experienced it themselves. It's a bit like people in the media making comment on a game and then saying they didn't watch it.

One of the better days I've had at the footy was a game in Canberra standing in the outer and Mars is just like that. If you want a seat, you can get one, if you want to stand, there is plenty of room. It suits both needs.

It took me 1hr 15 minutes to get there and 1hr 30 minutes to get home.

So I say to the critics, give it a go. If you still don't like it, than fair enough, you can at least say you tried it and any argument you have, your opinion will mean a whole lot more.

Well done dogs, well done Ballarat

Last edited:
My 2nd trip to Ballarat, the 1st was the Gold Coast game. Definetly more there yesterday.

I don't want to hear another word from the critics until they have gone and experienced it themselves. It's a bit like people in the media making comment on a game and then saying they didn't watch it.

One of the better days I've had at the footy was a game in Canberra standing in the outer and Mars is just like that. If you want a seat, you can get one, if you want to stand, there is plenty of room. It suits both needs.

So I say to the critics, give it a go. If you still don't like it, than fair enough, you can at least say you tried it and any argument you have, your opinion will mean a whole lot more.

It was my first time there, went with a Dogs mate and a Brisbane mate and we all had a great time.

Highlights include;
  • Standing on the hill by the wing, good vision and largely mud-less
  • $7.50 Carltons
  • Free Big Macs

The game experience has nothing to do with what most people criticise this idea .

I went to Darwin and Cairns and enjoyed those experiences but didn’t want us to continue playing there.

I’d love Ballarat to be extended to 14-16k and a train station built along the line outside of the stadium. Eventually I’d love to see Saturday twilight matches played there or early Saturday night (7pm start).

Some memories of the day provided by the Ballarat Courier this morning:

r0_0_4528_2977_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r0_0_4846_3155_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r0_0_5069_3177_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r0_0_5420_3575_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r42_0_4724_2638_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r0_0_4335_2936_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r0_0_5044_3417_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Not a bad result considering the negative talking down that the game got about the weather over the last few days through both the media and social media. It was a bit over the top and sold the ground short.

I suspect that last July's game held on twilight and with Ballarat's Winter weather revealing it's glory spooked the horses. The ground last year held up but was let down by poor lighting and lack of cover for the crowd.

People don't give this ground the due credit that it deserves. The oval is as good if not better as a playing surface than the MCG and it has superior drainage. Yes they do need to do better now for the spectators and build more covered seating and improve the lighting. 👍
Penetrometer readings show its the best ground in the league, and the spectacle from the outer is unique. Not sure why more people don't want to come and sample a game at the ground.

As for the latter point, obviously improved seating and amenities are on the radar, but the more people stay away, the harder it will be to justify the next stage etc. Almost better for folks to rock up and put up with one or two s**t games to show there is enough interest to make the upgrades worthwhile.

Penetrometer readings show its the best ground in the league, and the spectacle from the outer is unique. Not sure why more people don't want to come and sample a game at the ground.

As for the latter point, obviously improved seating and amenities are on the radar, but the more people stay away, the harder it will be to justify the next stage etc. Almost better for folks to rock up and put up with one or two **** games to show there is enough interest to make the upgrades worthwhile.
Two of the reasons crowds are limited at the ground are primarily resulting from the grounds limited capacity. If available seating is limited, then they have to artificially cap the numbers by charging members a premium to reserve their seats. Also if the ground has limited cover for spectators then people are likely to stay at home when the weather is forecast to be inclement.

After all, remember that last July's game had 8,000+ pre-sold bookings despite the scheduling. The weather was a massive factor and I would rightly assume that at least 2000 of those were reserved for standing areas and chose to stay home. Last Saturday's game was mostly sold out and still came up at least 1200 odd short probably because of all of the negative pre-game talk about the weather.

Therefore, it's logical to provide more available covered seating. I reckon that an additional 5000 covered seats are needed as a matter of priority, this guarantees that at least a crowd of 10,000 would be covered and comfortable wet days.

Last edited:
Complete and utter waste of money

Could be spent on hospitals or schools instead of this absolute dud that next to no one cares about and crowd figures prove this again and again. Even Ballarat people aren’t interested

Why would they even consider building it bigger when we can’t fill it now?

Makes absolutely no sense at all. More seats will no mean more people, half the reason people go to games like this is for the experience standing on the hill like the old days.

Complete and utter waste of money

Could be spent on hospitals or schools instead of this absolute dud that next to no one cares about and crowd figures prove this again and again. Even Ballarat people aren’t interested

Why would they even consider building it bigger when we can’t fill it now?

Makes absolutely no sense at all. More seats will no mean more people, half the reason people go to games like this is for the experience standing on the hill like the old days.
A8FFA9E9-B01C-4D47-9EFA-7EC808B3B834.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back