Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

As an aside, are you going to the game?

I am not a hypocrite so will not support something I am strongly against in anyway.

I know that means zero to anyone else but I cannot slam the idea and then go to the game.

I am not a hypocrite so will not support something I am strongly against in anyway.

I know that means zero to anyone else but I cannot slam the idea and then go to the game.

Can’t remember if you’ve been before but it’s a great vibe and improving every game here. Worth a trip.

Can’t remember if you’ve been before but it’s a great vibe and improving every game here. Worth a trip.

Played there several times and been to watch some mates play there.

I’m sore it has a great vibe, as does the WO For pre season games

I have been as has my son during this year. For a pre season game the vibe is ok but the facilities very ordinary as is the trip across .

I won't be going due to the facilities which actually work quite well for poor crowds.

Btw Manchester United do not have 700,000 match day members whereas we do have over 44,000 match day members and alot of what Roogal posts is factually wrong, pushing an agenda, amongst some good updates.

However, there will be those who do like and support the idea and I genuinely hope you do enjoy the experience. I also hope it is a massive problem with a backlash as that would likely mean we are playing finals which for all supporters would be extremely happy with no matter what side of the Ballarat experiment we sit

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have been as has my son during this year. For a pre season game the vibe is ok but the facilities very ordinary as is the trip across .

I won't be going due to the facilities which actually work quite well for poor crowds.

Btw Manchester United do not have 700,000 match day members let alone 7 million whereas we do have over 44,000 match day members and alot of what Roogal posts is factually wrong, pushing an agenda, amongst some good updates.

However, there will be those who do like and support the idea and I genuinely hope you do enjoy the experience. I also hope it is a massive problem with a backlash as that would likely mean we are playing finals which for all supporters would be extremely happy with no matter what side of the Ballarat experiment we sit

Btw Manchester United do not have 700,000 match day members whereas we do have over 44,000 match day members and alot of what Roogal posts is factually wrong, pushing an agenda, amongst some good updates.

Yes I know about the MU figures, but I indeed exaggerated to make the point that you can never build any facility big enough to house everybody that wants to go much less all of a major club's members. Could or should we indeed build the MCG big enough to potentially accommodate all of the members in a Richmond v Collingwood Grand Final?

Ballarat is NOT an experiment. It's not a "cash and grab" deal. Deal with it! I stand by everything that I have said, and I make no apologies.

Do YOU have a plan that will grow the Western Bulldogs outside Melbourne by staying anchored and landlocked at VUWO by a growing sea of Western United Soccer enthusiasts? If you do then I suggest that you enlighten tye AFL with your sensational business plan that is going to build the Western Bulldogs FC by staying entrenched in the growing soccer heartland of Western Melbourne.

All of that aside, which game do you suggest gets bumped from Marvel Stadium on the last round (next week) of the season so that the WB can play Adelaide in Melbourne? Secondly where should those two dislodged teams alternatively play? SEE ... you haven't answered that! All that you have done is to whine and bitch in order to avoid those two questions which I rightly asked you a couple of posts (and a few hours) ago but you choose to conveniently ignore.

If you indeed are genuinely concerned about accommodating supporters and members then I have a solution. You won't like it, but here it is ... how about the game be shifted to Adelaide Oval in order to accommodate 52,000 spectators and the Western Bulldogs FC can re-imburse the Ballarat Council $700,000. You can pay $2-300 return airfare (if you can get a rate that cheap) to fly to Adelaide to watch the game.

Sound fair? If you can't answer the two simple questions of where should the alternative venue should be, and which teams would get the boot in order to accommodate your game then you probably shouldn't respond. 🤔

Last edited:

She seems to pull figures out of the sky

Stated that we have over 4000 Ballarat members a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:
She seems to pull figures out of the sky

Stayed that we have over 4000 Ballarat members a couple weeks ago.
Clearly pushing an agenda that her own club did not want, but hey each to their own.

We are stuck with it for at least another 2 years.

If we have success again we will be set for another 20 years so it is not worth worrying too much about.

Yes I know about the MU figures, but I indeed exaggerated to make the point that you can never build any facility big enough to house everybody that wants to go much less all of a major club's members. Could or should we indeed build the MCG big enough to potentially accommodate all of the members in a Richmond v Collingwood Grand Final?

Ballarat is NOT an experiment. It's not a "cash and grab" deal. Deal with it! I stand by everything that I have said, and I make no apologies.

Do YOU have a plan that will grow the Western Bulldogs outside Melbourne by staying anchored and landlocked at VUWO by a growing sea of Western United Soccer enthusiasts? If you do then I suggest that you enlighten tye AFL with your sensational business plan that is going to build the Western Bulldogs FC by staying entrenched in the growing soccer heartland of Western Melbourne.

All of that aside, which game do you suggest gets bumped from Marvel Stadium on the last round (next week) of the season so that the WB can play Adelaide in Melbourne? Secondly where should those two dislodged teams alternatively play? SEE ... you haven't answered that! All that you have done is to whine and bitch in order to avoid those two questions which I rightly asked you a couple of posts (and a few hours) ago but you choose to conveniently ignore.

If you indeed are genuinely concerned about accommodating supporters and members then I have a solution. You won't like it, but here it is ... how about the game be shifted to Adelaide Oval in order to accommodate 52,000 spectators and the Western Bulldogs FC can re-imburse the Ballarat Council $700,000. You can pay $2-300 return airfare (if you can get a rate that cheap) to fly to Adelaide to watch the game.

Sound fair? If you can't answer the two simple questions of where should the alternative venue should be, and which teams would get the boot in order to accommodate your game then you probably shouldn't respond.

Hey Roogal, I’m not worried about your obvious enthusiasm for the Ballarat game, but if you’re going to tee off at criticism at least come prepared with all the information. One, the AFL actually asked if we wanted to switch our game to Marvel so they were obviously prepared to make that switch you are so convinced would inconvenience other clubs. Wonder why? Probably because there are NO games at Marvel in the last round so it’s available! Very easy to put GWS vs Suns on Sunday at 1 and our game on Saturday night at Marvel, which was the AFL suggestion. Fair enough on the deal being broken with Ballarat but don’t go making silly suggestions like moving the home game to Adelaide Oval ( which is actually being used )when there is a vacant home ground at Marvel waiting for us to swap to if we wanted to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not anti-Ballarat and I am a soccer fan but this is a pretty funny statement. As far as I can tell Western Utd have essentially no fans and barely anyone knows they exist. The A-League is stagnating with very little interest while the AFL is a sporting behemoth which has huge support in the west. I actually lold at "a growing sea of Western Utd Soccer enthusiasts".

FWIW, Marvel is not empty that weekend, it will be reconfigured after this weekend to cater for the Boomers vs USA basketball games. So there is NO option to relocate our Ballarat game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, was just thinking of Marvel. If we’re finals bound, would be a decent crowd, not sure what’s required from the Ballarat contract to relocate though, if even possible.
Unfortunately it is not possible, and in reality it should not be given the contracts we signed and the money being transferred

Fair enough, was just thinking of Marvel. If we’re finals bound, would be a decent crowd, not sure what’s required from the Ballarat contract to relocate though, if even possible.

Playing on the G having a crack at the finals or playing in a park in the country

You tell me which one is better mate?

Playing on the G having a crack at the finals or playing in a park in the country

You tell me which one is better mate?

I live west of Ballarat so probably not a question I should answer. As I’ve stated previously, I have multiple social club memberships and reserved seats, and happily spend hours each home game commuting to and from Marvel, and would be happy with 11 home games there. However, from a selfish perspective, I also like the convenience of watching occasional games at Mars. Btw, Mars is no ‘park’, surface is great, same ground dimensions as Marvel. It’s light years from what it was even 3 years ago.

I'm not anti-Ballarat and I am a soccer fan but this is a pretty funny statement. As far as I can tell Western Utd have essentially no fans and barely anyone knows they exist. The A-League is stagnating with very little interest while the AFL is a sporting behemoth which has huge support in the west. I actually lold at "a growing sea of Western Utd Soccer enthusiasts".
I honestly believe that you are grossly underestimating the appeal, reach and depth of soccer in this country. Just because you don't like the game (And I don't either for the record) doesn't mean that you should dismiss it off hand because your game is bigger at the moment. Remember, that only 20 years ago the US dismissed China. The AFL does not have a 20 year plan, Football Australia does whereby they are actively pushing a program to increase particiation rates to 4 million by 2036 (When our population is forecast to be 30-31 million). Their plan has identified the top 500 grounds across Australia and 250 of those they are actively pushing to be fully upgraded to professional playing standards with night lighting by then. They have an active kids program in every major city and town and they also have a plan for managing the growth and ongoing support of grass roots clubs. With exception of Auskick the AFL has none of these things. The perception from outside of Melbourne is that the AFL doesn't give a toss about grass roots clubs, regional football and certainly have done their level best to take over the VFL.

It will be telling to see indeed whether the new Western United franchise can draw crowds of 5000+ (As predicted) to each of their four games at Mars Stadium over this Summer and into next April. I am not sure what crowds they are predicting for the nine scheduled Kardinia Park games but its likely to be more than 5000. At least they don't plan to stay playing in Ballarat and Geelong beyond 2022 with their plans well advanced to establish a new 20,000 seat stadium at Tarneit (Midway between Rockbank and Werribee).

It's not an accident that Western Melbourne was given the nod last year for the new A League Franchise over two rival bids from Melbourne's East. The FFA have cleaverly looked at the demographics of Melbourne's booming West and have identified that the populace there are particularly more likely to be drawn into the round ball game over ours. Now why is that? If AFL is as strong in Melbourne's West as you are suggesting, then why did the Western Bulldogs own statistics released this earlier year indicate a decline in the club's Melbourne Membership since 2017?

I am not trying to be nasty, believe me you'd know it if I was. I am just keeping an open mind and urging others to do the same. These two documents provide interesting insights if you are interested on how Soccer plans to grow in Australia and more significantly here in Victoria.

https://www.ffa.com.au/sites/ffa/files/2019-05/Whole_of_Football_Plan.pdf

https://www.footballvictoria.com.au/sites/ffv/files/2018-12/FV_Facilities_Strategy.pdf

In closing, I am urging forumers to not take their eye off the ball with Soccer. Whether the supporters are aware of it or not the Western Bulldogs Football Club is presently engaged in an all out war for the hearts and minds of the West. At stake is the future generations kids who will choose which code they will either play or support, future club memberships and most importantly revenues.

Yep India, Sri Lanka and Sudan are well known for their love of the round ball game and their world strength in the sport 🤦🏼‍♂️

The Western Melbourne group got the gig for one reason and one reason only. MONEY.

They have the money to back the team and a government behind them to build a stadium that will be a living nightmare to get in and out of.

Anyone that thinks the world game will dominate in western Melbourne literally has no idea.

It’s cricket that is the major sport in the area by a mile.

Yep India, Sri Lanka and Sudan are well known for their love of the round ball game and their world strength in the sport

The Western Melbourne group got the gig for one reason and one reason only. MONEY.

They have the money to back the team and a government behind them to build a stadium that will be a living nightmare to get in and out of.

Anyone that thinks the world game will dominate in western Melbourne literally has no idea.

It’s cricket that is the major sport in the area by a mile.
100% correct. Cricket is the dominant sport even in winter. The other major sport is basketball.

I live west of Ballarat so probably not a question I should answer. As I’ve stated previously, I have multiple social club memberships and reserved seats, and happily spend hours each home game commuting to and from Marvel, and would be happy with 11 home games there. However, from a selfish perspective, I also like the convenience of watching occasional games at Mars. Btw, Mars is no ‘park’, surface is great, same ground dimensions as Marvel. It’s light years from what it was even 3 years ago.

And that’s great FOR YOU but the vast majority of members really have no interest in games in Ballarat and the crowds have proven that.

In the end people don’t understand my main concern with this deal and that is what is the very long term plan? Is it for us to play more games in Ballarat or are we helping them set a base for their own team one day? Either option is not attractive to me in anyway.

And if I hear this bs that we are hoping to blanket the membership growth in the area once more I will spew up. Most people in Ballarat already have long standing support for teams and us going there twice a year will not sway them over to us especially as many of the people that are pro this idea say, the Rat isn’t that far away.

Wheb the club comes out and admits it’s a pure cash grab I will actually be comfortable with it but until then they are trying to sell us a sh!t sandwich in a hamburger wrapper

I honestly believe that you are grossly underestimating the appeal, reach and depth of soccer in this country. Just because you don't like the game (And I don't either for the record) doesn't mean that you should dismiss it off hand because your game is bigger at the moment. Remember, that only 20 years ago the US dismissed China. The AFL does not have a 20 year plan, Football Australia does whereby they are actively pushing a program to increase particiation rates to 4 million by 2036 (When our population is forecast to be 30-31 million). Their plan has identified the top 500 grounds across Australia and 250 of those they are actively pushing to be fully upgraded to professional playing standards with night lighting by then. They have an active kids program in every major city and town and they also have a plan for managing the growth and ongoing support of grass roots clubs. With exception of Auskick the AFL has none of these things. The perception from outside of Melbourne is that the AFL doesn't give a toss about grass roots clubs, regional football and certainly have done their level best to take over the VFL.

It will be telling to see indeed whether the new Western United franchise can draw crowds of 5000+ (As predicted) to each of their four games at Mars Stadium over this Summer and into next April. I am not sure what crowds they are predicting for the nine scheduled Kardinia Park games but its likely to be more than 5000. At least they don't plan to stay playing in Ballarat and Geelong beyond 2022 with their plans well advanced to establish a new 20,000 seat stadium at Tarneit (Midway between Rockbank and Werribee).

It's not an accident that Western Melbourne was given the nod last year for the new A League Franchise over two rival bids from Melbourne's East. The FFA have cleaverly looked at the demographics of Melbourne's booming West and have identified that the populace there are particularly more likely to be drawn into the round ball game over ours. Now why is that? If AFL is as strong in Melbourne's West as you are suggesting, then why did the Western Bulldogs own statistics released this earlier year indicate a decline in the club's Melbourne Membership since 2017?

I am not trying to be nasty, believe me you'd know it if I was. I am just keeping an open mind and urging others to do the same. These two documents provide interesting insights if you are interested on how Soccer plans to grow in Australia and more significantly here in Victoria.

https://www.ffa.com.au/sites/ffa/files/2019-05/Whole_of_Football_Plan.pdf

https://www.footballvictoria.com.au/sites/ffv/files/2018-12/FV_Facilities_Strategy.pdf

In closing, I am urging forumers to not take their eye off the ball with Soccer. Whether the supporters are aware of it or not the Western Bulldogs Football Club is presently engaged in an all out war for the hearts and minds of the West. At stake is the future generations kids who will choose which code they will either play or support, future club memberships and most importantly revenues.

Sooooooooo you are telling us to worry about the West of Melbourne and losing support but then support us not playing games in the area and playing them in Ballarat which is an hour away at least?

So by the Dogs playing games in Ballarat that will help us stop the “apparent” influx IN A TOTALLY DIFFERENT AREA.

Great idea while we are at it theta move a couple games to Albury just in case Craigeburn gets an A league team also.

And that’s great FOR YOU but the vast majority of members really have no interest in games in Ballarat and the crowds have proven that.

In the end people don’t understand my main concern with this deal and that is what is the very long term plan? Is it for us to play more games in Ballarat or are we helping them set a base for their own team one day? Either option is not attractive to me in anyway.

And if I hear this bs that we are hoping to blanket the membership growth in the area once more I will spew up. Most people in Ballarat already have long standing support for teams and us going there twice a year will not sway them over to us especially as many of the people that are pro this idea say, the Rat isn’t that far away.

Wheb the club comes out and admits it’s a pure cash grab I will actually be comfortable with it but until then they are trying to sell us a sh!t sandwich in a hamburger wrapper

As I said, I’m happy to attend Marvel. And an earlier post of mine made the same point you have - it doesn’t matter which side of the debate we’re all on, the club’s transparency on this issue is lacking. I’ve attended Ballarat supporter groups where el presidente has stated a long-term commitment to Ballarat - financials to back this up would be handy, including your bugbear of memberships gained. In the meantime, I’ll continue to attend the Mars games, you won’t, and hopefully we play finals regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back