Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Hello everyone, I hope that this finds you all fit, well, socially distancing ... blah blah blah

You are probably all sick to death as I am of hearing all about COVID-19 and Lachie Hunter by now. The question has been raised a few times before as to how they quantify the benefits of bringing AFL games into regions. Not just Ballarat, but to places like Launceston, Canberra, Hobart, Darwin, Cairns, Townsville etc. The following video shows how Ballarat does its sums. Not just when it's hosting AFL, but daily to track economic activity around such events as its 'Winter Wonderland Festival, Begonia Festival, The Sovereign Hill Winter Lights etc. and comparing that data against other weekends and weekdays throughout the year. This way the city's council and businesses are able to target where resources are needed and exactly where to spend money supporting various public and major private enterprise events.

As I have stated in this thread I am not a supporter of this initiative, however I will always support the club and if it means our club is one of 6 self supported during this lockdown from the money generated it is good for our club.

Ironically this season was the first and only season for a while I could attend games in Ballarat. Had purchased 3 corporate tickets for both games.

Guess this will be at least another donation to the club as well as.the 5 gold memberships with social clubs purchased. (These are always on the main.a.donation)

If we have another 2016 in the next 10 years it will be more than worth it.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

ivan rassmussen

Premiership Player
Jun 28, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hello everyone, I hope that this finds you all fit, well, socially distancing ... blah blah blah

You are probably all sick to death as I am of hearing all about COVID-19 and Lachie Hunter by now. The question has been raised a few times before as to how they quantify the benefits of bringing AFL games into regions. Not just Ballarat, but to places like Launceston, Canberra, Hobart, Darwin, Cairns, Townsville etc. The following video shows how Ballarat does its sums. Not just when it's hosting AFL, but daily to track economic activity around such events as its 'Winter Wonderland Festival, Begonia Festival, The Sovereign Hill Winter Lights etc. and comparing that data against other weekends and weekdays throughout the year. This way the city's council and businesses are able to target where resources are needed and exactly where to spend money supporting various public and major private enterprise events.

Thanks Roogal - interesting perspective. Mutually beneficial outcome.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
2019 had brisbane and a sellout vs Adelaide

could have been close to a mill around the 800k mark of additional spending
That's what the Council calculated on annually when they originally pitched for the development of Eureka Stadium. Not just the AFL revenue but also several other events conducted at the stadium which draw big crowds each year. Recently the Stadium hosted a Nitro Circus event where there were 12,500 whilst some 4,500 Rugby Union fans (half of whom were visitors) attended a Super Rugby game. Perhaps a shame that the Good Friday Melbourne A League Derby game between Melbourne City and Western United didn't get up because of the prevailing "Kung Flu" epidemic. Those sorts of events, though not AFL related, contribute to the City of Ballarat building a solid case for further funding to develop the stadium and its surrounding infrastructure.

Last edited:

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Long awaited upgrades on the way for Ballarat's Mars Stadium
Melanie Whelan - Ballarat Courier (3 May 2020)
https://www.thecourier.com.au/profile/298/melanie-whelan

Mars Stadium set for welcome change.

Mars Stadium set for welcome change.

THE welcome to Mars is getting closer to a whole new look as sports continuing awaiting a re-entry to play. City of Ballarat has opened the $300,000 tender process to upgrade the main gateway to Mars Stadium, including ticket boxes, as the first part of a larger plan to improve facilities for hosting elite sports and events. This comes under an $11.8 million pledge for the precinct from the State Government leading into the 2018 state election with $6.6 million dedicated to Mars Stadium upgrades and a further $5.2 million for the newly opened Ballarat Sports and Events Centre. The state government is expected to reveal further details on both projects later today.

Mars Stadium has played host to five AFL premiership season matches since 2017 and has become a venue for A-League, Super Rugby and hosted Nitro Circus this past summer. READ MORE: Mars Stadium open for business as AFL plots return

But, as outlined in City of Ballarat tender documentation, the stadium's infrastructure and support amenities were limited to hosting larger crowds and could become a sticking point to retaining and attracting such events. Planned upgrades will include permanent accessible toilets and improved disability access to seating in the Western and Eastern stands.

Standing areas for spectators will also be improved for viewing on the terrace. Existing change room facilities will be made female user compliant.
There will also be permanent food and beverage facilities to feed fans.

The redeveloped Northern Oval re-opened as 'Mars Stadium' after a $22 million upgrade to transform it into a facility capable of hosting AFL in-season matches. The AFL-sanctioned capacity is 11,000 fans and in 2018, City of Ballarat explored development options to expand AFL match capacity to at least 15,000 fans, according to the project tender outlines.

The state government has confirmed Victoria's major stadia strategy recognises Mars Stadium's importance and value as a second-tier venue "to support the growth of emerging sports, promote sport to regional areas and support scheduling conflicts in Victoria's busy sports and events calendar". Outside elite sports, Mars Stadium also hosts both the Ballarat and Central Highlands football netball leagues' grand final carnivals. It is also the home ground for AFL boys and girls' under-18 talent program Greater Western Victoria Rebels.

The Courier understands new construction will be made in a staged approach to ensure the stadium remains operational when sports and events resume after pandemic restrictions. State Member for Wendouree Juliana Addison said the upgrades were important for families and fans in Ballarat to have access to great sporting facilities. "Our community embraces sport and that's why we're investing in the future of Mars stadium," Ms Addison said.

City of Ballarat mayor Ben Taylor said Mars Stadium was crucially important to the region. "The design phase is a crucial step towards the completion of planned further enhancements to Mars Stadium," Cr Taylor said. "We look forward to the progression of the design and the next phase of improvements to Ballarat's premier outdoor sports arena."

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No way the government should be spending money on ANY stadiums upgrades now.

When employment rises to he level it will there is no justification on spending millions at Mars for 2 games of AFL.

So many more important things to look after now

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No way the government should be spending money on ANY stadiums upgrades now.

When employment rises to he level it will there is no justification on spending millions at Mars for 2 games of AFL.

So many more important things to look after now
Project will provide employment and economic stimulus in regional Victoria.

Governments spending on infrastructure in a contracting economy is a good thinng.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Project will provide employment and economic stimulus in regional Victoria.

Governments spending on infrastructure in a contracting economy is a good thinng.

Not unnecessary infrastructure at times like this.

The construction industry hasn’t slowed down yet at all so perhaps they need to try and stimulate other industries with extra funds

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Western Bulldogs put Ballarat on the agenda
From Ballarat Courier 6 May 2020.

The Western Bulldogs remain keen to bring the elite game to Ballarat when AFL football is able to resume amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.

Western Bulldogs player Marcus Bontempelli in Ballarat.

Western Bulldogs player Marcus Bontempelli in Ballarat.

7 News revealed the club has made an "official request" to the AFL about playing matches in the city when the competition gets underway. Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon told the news station that his club wanted to play in Ballarat. "If we can bring a bit of happiness, a bit of focus to the people of Ballarat in a difficult time - that's important to us," Gordon said.

"I think there's something to be said for picking some venues where you get a bit of a backdrop and get a bit of local atmosphere..." It's likely crowds will initially not be allowed at matches when AFL resumes. Mars Stadium was booked to host Western Bulldogs home games against the Gold Coast Suns and Port Adelaide. The matches had been originally set down for May 9 and August 15.

Last week, The Courier spoke with City of Ballarat about the potential for Mars Stadium to host fixtures in 2020. "Mars Stadium is certainly open for business and available for AFL football this season. We are not sure what the revised fixture will look like but we will do our best to accommodate any request from the AFL," City of Ballarat director of community development Neville Ivey said.

Even if it had no crowds it would cost less you would think to run Mars Stadium.

You would think with less total games anyway that the Marvel contract perhaps isn’t made relevant for it’s x amount of games a year?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Even if it had no crowds it would cost less you would think to run Mars Stadium.

You would think with less total games anyway that the Marvel contract perhaps isn’t made relevant for it’s x amount of games a year?

If we can play at Mars why wouldn’t we play at WO.

I’d much rather watch a game I can’t attend at our home ground instead of an irrelevant venue

I’d much rather watch a game I can’t attend at our home ground instead of an irrelevant venue

Gordon and Bains have labelled WO not plausible\very unlikely, prehaps due to it being a VFL standard of the ground or staff issue.

Was discussed on the radio last week, apparently they have to have the ground wired properly for the tv telecast

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Was discussed on the radio last week, apparently they have to have the ground wired properly for the tv telecast
I don't understand either how a ground can be considered good enough for AFLW telecast and night play for women but below standard for the men's competition??? Ikon Park and the VUWO are certainly both good enough for AFLW so why not AFL men?

I don't understand either how a ground can be considered good enough for AFLW telecast and night play for women but below standard for the men's competition??? Ikon Park and the VUWO are certainly both good enough for AFLW so why not AFL men?
Not entirely sure but came from a caller on sen to derwaynes show asking just that question. Was only half listening but i believe it was something along the lines of there needing to be many more communication lines for senior mens afl for the amount of multiple cameras and the like that are needed

cecil

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I mean I am much more okay with Ballarat than you, but this was I assume we're still getting paid for a couple of games from our contract. Wouldn't that be a good scenario from your POV seeing noone is missing out and we're still getting the cash?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I mean I am much more okay with Ballarat than you, but this was I assume we're still getting paid for a couple of games from our contract. Wouldn't that be a good scenario from your POV seeing noone is missing out and we're still getting the cash?

There is no way in good conscience we can ask Ballarat to pay us sponsor money for games that no one attends in my opinion.

Regardless what I think of this failed experiment that is not good commercial fairness

BeMoreBont

Team Captain
Oct 14, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We were due to play our first game in Ballarat on Saturday against Gold Coast.

Weather for Saturday - top of 9 degrees, 10-15mm of rain, gusty winds and possible hail.

Over the next few months in particular the standard of game at Ballarat will be putrid with weather like this. If we are continuing to play games in Ballarat it needs to be round 2 or 3 and round 23. By mid April-May the weather is already shocking.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
We were due to play our first game in Ballarat on Saturday against Gold Coast.

Weather for Saturday - top of 9 degrees, 10-15mm of rain, gusty winds and possible hail.

Over the next few months in particular the standard of game at Ballarat will be putrid with weather like this. If we are continuing to play games in Ballarat it needs to be round 2 or 3 and round 23. By mid April-May the weather is already shocking.
I suppose the weather can be a factor but it is no worse than playing in Canberra, Launceston or Hobart. Those places get pretty cold and wooly in Winter too. Even Kardinia Park can be very ordinary throughout Winter. I don't think that it matters much to the players once the ball is bounced as they seem to warm up quickly and put themselves in the zone of the game at hand. After all the game is a Winter game and if we think back to the blustery and muddy conditions that the old suburban grounds and even the 'G' and VFL Park offered up back in the day then modern Mars Stadium is still light years ahead. My only grievances with Mars Stadium that definitely need to be addressed are four-fold in the following order:
  1. Build at least 5000 more covered seats (to lift capacity to at least 15,000)
  2. Boost the lighting (By replacing all existing lumens with LED lumens and fully load the light towers. It would give the ground at least 800 lux and give it a more natural lighting effect during inclement weather)
  3. Build permanent toilets adjacent to the standing areas
  4. Establish a game day railway drop/pick-up point adjacent to the ground.
My primary concern is here with spectator comfort. The media and players are extremely well taken care of at Mars Stadium. The facilities for both are as good as any AFL venue. But it is the paying public who deserve to be provided with adequate amenities, a degree of comfort, ease of accessibility and a high quality viewing experience. In 2020 their view of the game shouldn't be compromised by poor light and they certainly shouldn't be using portaloos by now (three years after the Stadium opened).

Last edited:

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
1. We played a game in Tassie many years ago (Crofty ended up rucking and Saints smashed us) in driving torrential rain. We also played for several years in Darwin, where our players had extended time to re-adjust after those games. We also played (Saints again) in a preseason game at the Cattery several years ago where the game was delayed (and nearly cancelled) due to flooding. Weather is weather.

2. Mars does not exist to host 2 AFL games a year, it is used throughout the year for many events, as an outdoor entertainment venue for the wider Ballarat/western Vic area.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can’t fill the stadium as it is but build it bigger is the logic.

God I cannot wait til we dump this spud idea and let someone else have it.

Hasn’t garnered us a scrap of membership boost Which is the “excuse” we use for playing these games that keep us in the minnow category.

BeMoreBont

Team Captain
Oct 14, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1. We played a game in Tassie many years ago (Crofty ended up rucking and Saints smashed us) in driving torrential rain. We also played for several years in Darwin, where our players had extended time to re-adjust after those games. We also played (Saints again) in a preseason game at the Cattery several years ago where the game was delayed (and nearly cancelled) due to flooding. Weather is weather.

I wasn't suggesting the players would care about playing in the cold or rain.

It's the supporters not turning up. Getting embarassing crowd figures. If we want the Ballarat thing to be successful then we need to play the games at the best possible times during the year to maximise crowd numbers.

Previous years when it's been shocking weather we have barely half filled the stadium.

Even last year's round 23 match the weather was actually decent (for Ballarat standards), our finals chances were on the line, we were in ripping form. We still couldn't sell it out.

Back