Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

But it did sell out weeks in advance round 23 vs Adelaide. The turn out was due for a few reasons such as Adelaide fans not turning up due to being (pretty much) out of it by that point.

Furthermore The crowds will always hit a ceiling when its seats vs standing.

Saying the dogs haven’t gained support from the area is also false.

One reason the Dogs can stand up until August with only 5 other clubs without afl assistance during covid is because of ballarat

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
I wasn't suggesting the players would care about playing in the cold or rain.

It's the supporters not turning up. Getting embarassing crowd figures. If we want the Ballarat thing to be successful then we need to play the games at the best possible times during the year to maximise crowd numbers.

Previous years when it's been shocking weather we have barely half filled the stadium.

Even last year's round 23 match the weather was actually decent (for Ballarat standards), our finals chances were on the line, we were in ripping form. We still couldn't sell it out.
On the contrary the game was sold out three weeks in advance and in the rush to get the long lines of people waiting queued at the gates into the ground the ticket inspectors speeded things up in the last 15 minutes before the first bounce and I suspect that simply what ever means they used to count those in attendance simply stopped working. For those f us that attended both games, the ground actually seemed considerably fuller than the first game when there were 10,087 in attendance back in 2017.

Further, back in 2017 when there were 10,087 attended the first game even despite it being 'SOLD OUT' it was generally agreed then that regardless of a game being sold out, a stadium will rarely be ever filled to absolute capacity. If we consider that the outcome of last year's game against Adelaide essentially became a foregone conclusion with Adelaide falling into a slump from mid-season and the Dogs finding form going into the finals, it was generally agreed that as many as 1,000 Adelaide supporters who had pre-booked simply did not bother to attend the game. I noted the bitterness and back fighting that had swept over the Adelaide Crows thread of this forum during the second half of last season. Many Adelaide supporters had lost confidence with their team and more so with the Adelaide Crows senior management, calling for heads to roll by about Round 16 onward.

Last edited:

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Half full tiny stadium = sold out

Now it wasn’t full coz the Hundred thousand Adelaide fans that bought tickets didn’t show up and just lost the ticket and travel and accomodation money they booked also. Tipping less than 1000 Adelaide fans bought tickets.

Lol honestly. It’s an hour up the road and we have over 40k members and we still can’t fill the joint,even with the hoards of new local members piling in. I’m tipping again less than 1000

Stop making I’m up absolute bullish!t excuses and admit our fans (and other clubs) have next to no interest on attending this thing.

Admit it’s a cash grab For us and an excuse for Ballarat council to ask for more money on their stadium and we can all be happy in the true reasons we play this thing.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Just for context:

Stadium capacity: 11,000

Actual published attendances:

2017, game: 10,087
2018, game 1: 6,833
2018, game 2: 6,450
2019, game 1: 9,039
2019, game 2: 9,560

Avg attendance: 8,394

Probably also needs weather, team's form leading up to each game, and opponent for clearer picture.
Would also be handy to know how many of our members attended each game, vs locals, vs visiting team supporters,
not sure if that data exists in its entirety though.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
I doubt that despite the Club's stated desire to play games at Ballarat this year, that the AFL will schedule any games there. The AFL seem to be committed to limiting the venues (That would likely be a risk management thing) in Victoria to Marvel and the MCG. That's okay, because in reality, one has to ask is there any benefit to the club in playing in an empty Mars Stadium? Ballarat would gain nothing from it from a financial point and the broadcast media who's budgets are presently being stretched (like all businesses ATM) are spared the expense of travelling and accommodation of workers.

So one would think that it would be a reasonable decision to not play any games in Ballarat if crowds are prevented from attending games. Conversely, the only downside in this situation may be if the WBFC are missing bonus payments from not hosting Ballarat home games. Then I could understand the Club's present desire to play there as every club can do with what ever income they can get ATM.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I doubt that despite the Club's stated desire to play games at Ballarat this year, that the AFL will schedule any games there. The AFL seem to be committed to limiting the venues (That would likely be a risk management thing) in Victoria to Marvel and the MCG. That's okay, because in reality, one has to ask is there any benefit to the club in playing in an empty Mars Stadium? Ballarat would gain nothing from it from a financial point and the broadcast media who's budgets are presently being stretched (like all businesses ATM) are spared the expense of travelling and accommodation of workers.

So one would think that it would be a reasonable decision to not play any games in Ballarat if crowds are prevented from attending games. Conversely, the only downside in this situation may be if the WBFC are missing bonus payments from not hosting Ballarat home games. Then I could understand the Club's present desire to play there as every club can do with what ever income they can get ATM.
Pretty sure I have seen Geelong listed as well though. Given that is an hour from Melbourne, surely Ballarat can host two games a similar distance away from Melbourne, particularly given the AFL would know the financial benefits to the Dogs of satisfying their contractual obligations.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Half full tiny stadium = sold out

Now it wasn’t full coz the Hundred thousand Adelaide fans that bought tickets didn’t show up and just lost the ticket and travel and accomodation money they booked also. Tipping less than 1000 Adelaide fans bought tickets.

Lol honestly. It’s an hour up the road and we have over 40k members and we still can’t fill the joint,even with the hoards of new local members piling in. I’m tipping again less than 1000

Stop making I’m up absolute bullish!t excuses and admit our fans (and other clubs) have next to no interest on attending this thing.

Admit it’s a cash grab For us and an excuse for Ballarat council to ask for more money on their stadium and we can all be happy in the true reasons we play this thing.
No duh we do it for money, why else would we be doing it?
The seats are 95% sold there every time at least. Standing room is almost always full. The fact that we've been crap 90% of our history doesn't really help our desire for a full stadium every time though.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No duh we do it for money, why else would we be doing it?
The seats are 95% sold there every time at least. Standing room is almost always full. The fact that we've been crap 90% of our history doesn't really help our desire for a full stadium every time though.

Lol wow, do you feel better now?

One of the reasons I don’t like this rubbish is because the club continues to crap on that it isn’t purely for money, admit that is the case and be honest.

And we don’t fill the joint coz no one wants to go there plain and simple.

It’s amazing that the place is “always” sold out but always a fair way off full. You know coz the AFL are alway honey with figured

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

One of the reasons I don’t like this rubbish is because the club continues to crap on that it isn’t purely for money, admit that is the case and be honest.

It’s amazing that the place is “always” sold out but always a fair way off full. You know coz the AFL are alway honey with figured
Mate I'm not going to bother arguing with you if you're going to be a little passive aggressive campaigner.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

How is this different to any other commercial arrangement? Of course it's primarily about the money but where there are other benefits, including to the community, why wouldn't the club speak loudest about that? Particularly when the community engagement stuff is a signficant part of the agreement with City of Ballarat that the club needs to fulfil, additional to what's in place with the Victorian government.

They've never denied there are financial benefits from Ballarat either. For example, this is from Bains, off the club website:
1589938503825.png

And the club's financial report:
1589938912986.png

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How is this different to any other commercial arrangement? Of course it's primarily about the money but where there are other benefits, including to the community, why wouldn't the club speak loudest about that? Particularly when the community engagement stuff is a signficant part of the agreement with City of Ballarat that the club needs to fulfil, additional to what's in place with the Victorian government.

They've never denied there are financial benefits from Ballarat either. For example, this is from Bains, off the club website:
View attachment 878418

And the club's financial report:
View attachment 878423

Once more I will explain my issues with this thing and hopefully people understand(don’t have to agree) my opinion

I have NO problem with a financial only agreement and the club admit that to a point but try to cloud it with talk of increased membership, exposure and community interaction.
Ballarat has gained us next to no increase in membership, no more exposure and in fact our Melb fans have made it blatantly clear they have next to no interest in attending and we as a club do no more community based activities in Ballarat than we do anywhere else.

Ballarat are only interested in us being there so they can leverage the government to build a bigger stadium for god knows what reason? Do we plan to okay more games up there? Why on gods earth would we do that?

I want our club to stop selling games to anywhere. While we do this we will continue to be classified as a minnow and we cannot argue that point. I’d rather stay in Melbourne and push the AFL for a far better Marvel deal.

I also have absolutely no interest in supporting a team that plays out of Ballarat

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hahahaha you start your post with “No duh” and It’s my posting style !??
Back to your safe space
Because you gave a convoluted response to the easiest question in the world. Its a no-brainer we went to Ballarat for money. Why do we want to grow our supporter base? For money. Why do footballers play at all? For money.

Money isn't the only reason but it's a big one Mr. Trump.

Also there's not enough time in the day to point out every single thing wrong that someone said on an anonymous internet forum.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Because you gave a convoluted response to the easiest question in the world. Its a no-brainer we went to Ballarat for money. Why do we want to grow our supporter base? For money. Why do footballers play at all? For money.

Dear god

I’ve said that for 3 years, that’s my exact point and always has been.

Try and catch up whoever you are. Now I’m off you tire me

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry my life hasn't revolved around your posting schedule on an internet forum for the past three years.

Then perhaps DONT just randomly jump into threads and start throwing barbs without any knowledge of context unless you want a reaction, which looking at the other threads you did the same on seems was your goal. :)

Enjoy your day

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Then perhaps DONT just randomly jump into threads and start throwing barbs without any knowledge of context unless you want a reaction, which looking at the other threads you did the same on seems was your goal. :)

Enjoy your day
Aren't you the person who starts a civil war in Bulldog threads every other day?

You clearly don’t know what irony is, doesn’t surprise me :)

Nah you are ok Maddog, like the uncle that you hardly ever notice that comes to the Xmas party and leaves early.

Harmless but not really here or there 😘

Such witty repartee. I am staggered by your savage barbs once again.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters

Also there's not enough time in the day to point out every single thing wrong that someone said on an anonymous internet forum.
Gezus mate save your energy arguing with that one. When pressed the detractors never present a viable financial alternative when asked for an alternative to Ballarat. The nay sayers to Ballarat live in a dream world in thinking that limiting the club's boundaries and fortunes to Melbourne, that the club is going to magically conjure up 10,000 extra members and somehow still generate an extra couple of million dollars each year. There's no point trying to convince anybody that is highly argumentative and irrational.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Pretty sure I have seen Geelong listed as well though. Given that is an hour from Melbourne, surely Ballarat can host two games a similar distance away from Melbourne, particularly given the AFL would know the financial benefits to the Dogs of satisfying their contractual obligations.
If there's no crowd then the only logical reason for the Dogs to play at the Rat would be if they are contractually obligated in order to receive their bonus payments to the club. Otherwise it really makes no difference if they play at Marvel, the VUWO, or the City Oval in Ballarat for that matter.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If there's no crowd then the only logical reason for the Dogs to play at the Rat would be if they are contractually obligated in order to receive their bonus payments to the club. Otherwise it really makes no difference if they play at Marvel, the VUWO, or the City Oval in Ballarat for that matter.
In that case, I'd prefer they play here in Hamilton then. 😂

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gezus mate save your energy arguing with that one. When pressed the detractors never present a viable financial alternative when asked for an alternative to Ballarat. The nay sayers to Ballarat live in a dream world in thinking that limiting the club's boundaries and fortunes to Melbourne, that the club is going to magically conjure up 10,000 extra members and somehow still generate an extra couple of million dollars each year. There's no point trying to convince anybody that is highly argumentative and irrational.
Yeah I figured there would be no end to the arguing with him haha

Back