Western Bulldogs BigFooty Consensus Best 22 - finalised!

Which four players make up the interchange of our "best 22"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Stringer, Dickson, Crameri and Boyd have to be locks. Clay Smith close to as well. And then I reckon Liam Picken is easily the 6th member. Don't see Cloke fitting in at this stage to be honest.

Ill probably vote for him on the interchange. I think we are a tall short without him. Sadly though, if he makes the team it will probably mean that one of Dunkley or Mclean miss out. But for team structure we look better with another tall forward.

Posters are clearly living in the past and failing to embrace
the greatness of Travis Cloke, the doyen of accuracy the
real glove apologies to Dale Morris. The failure to grab
hold of the future and embrace change is appalling, don't
fear the players having a premiership hangover, look
first to yourselves.;)

I have Cloke in at the moment. I would prefer not to go back to a forward line with one true tall. Crameri offsets this a little but I'd still like another marking target. I think he just makes us a little bit more dangerous and well-rounded.

I love Picken coming off the bench, being freshly deployed into that second midfield unit.

I have Cloke in at the moment. I would prefer not to go back to a forward line with one true tall. Crameri offsets this a little but I'd still like another marking target. I think he just makes us a little bit more dangerous and well-rounded.

I love Picken coming off the bench, being freshly deployed into that second midfield unit.
The term "Coming off the bench" has a different meaning now than
it did in previous years with the demands of the modern game.

The term "Coming off the bench" has a different meaning now than
it did in previous years with the demands of the modern game.
Of course - but there's still a difference between coming into the midfield off the bench and swinging there after a period of high half forward play.

Staggered that only 4 of us have Caleb in - he the best high forward decision maker in the competition and a premiership star, firmly entrenched in our best 22. I want the ball in his hands over anyone else.

Staggered that only 4 of us have Caleb in - he the best high forward decision maker in the competition and a premiership star, firmly entrenched in our best 22. I want the ball in his hands over anyone else.
Was weighing up between him and Cloke. Had to go with Daniel. We won the premiership without Cloke so am unsure of his structural necessity, but I'd imagine that both will be playing in round 1.

Was weighing up between him and Cloke. Had to go with Daniel. We won the premiership without Cloke so am unsure of his structural necessity, but I'd imagine that both will be playing in round 1.
There is definitely a spot available structure wise for Cloke in Cordy's role. Haynes and Grundy destroyed us with their intercept marking and it easily could've been a big factor in us losing.

Crameri Cloke Smith
Dickson Boyd Stringer

That's an extremely versatile forward line with no noticeable weaknesses. Picken and Daniel rotating through the forward/mid rotation off the bench.

Clay has the opportunity to turn himself into an elite small forward of the comp. During the finals he averaged 19 touches, 10 tackles and 2 goals a game which is absolutely unreal.

Last edited:
Can someone explain how I'm suppose to choose 4 bench players out of Picken/Smith, Caleb, McLean, Biggs, Roberts, Cordy, Dunkley, Suckling and Jong as well as the returning Wallis and Redpath? I

There is definitely a spot available structure wise for Cloke in Cordy's role. Haynes and Grundy destroyed us with their intercept marking and it easily could've been a big factor in us losing.

Crameri Cloke Smith
Dickson Boyd Stringer

That's an extremely versatile forward line with no noticeable weaknesses. Picken and Daniel rotating through the forward/mid rotation off the bench.

Clay has the opportunity to turn himself into an elite small forward of the comp. During the finals he averaged 19 touches, 10 tackles and 2 goals a game which is absolutely unreal.
Yeah I agree that Cordy's role will most likely be freed up, but I think Crameri can have some impact aerially hopefully. Also in the grand final, most of Boyd's incredible marks were done around the ground. If he can play more time forward, then I don't see intercept marks being an issue

However, I do think that Cloke will definitely be selected, but I just had to select Caleb. Will allow Boyd to go into the ruck also, without leaving the forward line completely bereft of a big target.

I reckon he's in a similar situation to biggs: I'd have both of them in our 22 ahead of Adams and Cloke if push came to shove. But when they're all in the 22, you generally start the key position players on the field and expect them to play high game time. The bench is primarily used to rotate the smalls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel - Cloke - Crameri
Stringer - Boyd - Dickson

Of course - but there's still a difference between coming into the midfield off the bench and swinging there after a period of high half forward play.
Sorry Dannnnnnnnnn, i more meant that back in the eighties you
could be on the bench and not get any game time where as now
the staff control the rotations so most average at least 60 %
so technically starting on the ground is not such a big thing.

Best 22 includes the guys on the bench, we may have to rename the
position Low Half Forward just not to offend Caleb.:D

Total Inside 50's Top 100 total.
8- Marcus Bontempelli 112, 24- Lachie Hunter 97,
33- Liam Picken 90, 51- Luke Dahlhaus 83,
54- Shane Biggs 81, 74- Thomas Liberatore 73,
82- Jackson Macrae 68, 89- Jason Johannisen 67,
95- Caleb Daniel 65, 95- Mitch Wallis 65.

Total Clangers Top 100 Total.
13- Lachie Hunter 84, 24- Liam Picken 78,
29- Marcus Bontempelli 73, 64- Luke Dahlhaus 64,
72- Shane Biggs 62, 84- Jackson Macrae 59,
87- Matthew Boyd 58.

The actual 6 is largely irrelevant footy isn't played like that anymore. If he's named on the bench it doesn't diminish his place in the team.

He's a mid really, couldn't put him ahead of Bont, Libba or Dahlhaus but he's not far behind Dahl and I would have him ahead of Wallis

If Clay Smith isnt named on ground after his prelim I will riot, so help me God
Having said that I cant see how Cloke wont be AA this year with Bontempelli hitting him on the tit 30 times a week
I'll riot if Picken isn't named on the ground after his entire finals series.

I'm actually surprised by how nearly everyone is including crameri on the field after a year out of the game. I've got him in, but picking three out of him, Picken, smith and Cloke was splitting hairs for me.

I reckon the bench will just about pick itself the way things are shaping up. Picken, Shiggsy, Daniel and Wallis are all clearly best 22 players. That leaves dunks, McLean, Roberts, zaine, suckling, Jong, Williams and Webb fighting for Wallis's round 1 spot.

I'll riot if Picken isn't named on the ground after his entire finals series.

I'm actually surprised by how nearly everyone is including crameri on the field after a year out of the game. I've got him in, but picking three out of him, Picken, smith and Cloke was splitting hairs for me.

I reckon the bench will just about pick itself the way things are shaping up. Picken, Shiggsy, Daniel and Wallis are all clearly best 22 players. That leaves dunks, McLean, Roberts, zaine, suckling, Jong, Williams and Webb fighting for Wallis's round 1 spot.

Didnt seem to bother Libba being out of the game for a year. A few games in and he matches the all time tackle record. I dont think itll be any issue for Crameri.

Back