Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2020 - Hannan, Martin, Treloar, Ugle-Hagan, Bedendo

AFL Club Focus

What should the Western Bulldogs prioritise this off-season?

• Getting more draft points to match a bid for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Getting an early pick before a bid comes for JUH

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You think the dogs really sook because a team bids on the best player?
You think a club wouldn't care when there's a chance what happened with Tom Green happed with Ugle-Hagan? Potentially costing WBD 1000 points?

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm yet to see anyone say he's not the beat player. Seen a few of the vic media say crows shouldn't bid because of the marketing potential but no one I've seen have said he's not the best.
He’s clearly up there but to say theres clear distance between him and the next 3 or 4 is wrong in my opinion. There was probably a bigger gap last year between Rowell and the next bunch. JUH was touted as a top 6 chance before the season stated with serious question marks over his kicking. He hasn’t played a minute all year and yet somehow the media has spun it so he’s now miles ahead of any other player. If there wasn’t the controversy around him being NGA he’d be talked about as a talent on par with McDonald, Thilthorpe, DGB and Hollands
and likely behind at least a couple of them.

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
The AFL really bend over backwards to give Sydney any advantage.
Sydney? Half the field has academy kids and we’re all looking at list cuts that interfere with the number of draft picks available to match later selections if they enforced that rule

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
As Wooden Spooners it should be our right to take who we believe is the best player in the draft at pick 1. Because of the VFL's BS NGA rort, we are denied that right.

I, along with most Crows supporters I talk to want our club to grow some balls and do the correct thing, bid on the best player in the draft at pick 1 and I hope we do. No one I speak to cares about the PR status of recruiting the player who is named with the first pick, it's BS, make kissed on the dick Bulldogs pay for JUH.
Yoga is good for these stressful times.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
Who cares, that's peanuts compared to making a statement to the VFL. If we bid on JUH, we still get the same player at pick 2.

We were Wooden Spooners, we should have been able to select the best player in the draft JUH. The fact the VFL created the rort that is NGA's due to the squealing of Maguire etc means we don't get the player we were entitled to.

Pay up Dogs, you got Treloar for basically free, JUH will cost, we have lots of form bidding on players where they should be bid at - JUH is pick 1
🤣 Wow

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who cares, that's peanuts compared to making a statement to the VFL. If we bid on JUH, we still get the same player at pick 2.

We were Wooden Spooners, we should have been able to select the best player in the draft JUH. The fact the VFL created the rort that is NGA's due to the squealing of Maguire etc means we don't get the player we were entitled to.

Pay up Dogs, you got Treloar for basically free, JUH will cost, we have lots of form bidding on players where they should be bid at - JUH is pick 1
Happy to pay up with a plethora of nothing picks in the 50s and 60s and have the number one pick. Thank you AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So your view is that no club should bid on him? We shouldn't at 1, should Roos at 2? Your view is what I'd expect of a child.
How mature of you. Some tough love delivered there, straight out of the Collective Minds handbook.
There’s a huge difference between the messaging of having the number 1 pick and the rest. If you don’t get that then your view is more akin to a child than the previous poster. No surprises there. Crows fans have had a mare this off season with the complete inability to grasp basic trade concepts and how their clubs messaging is perceived by the rest of the afl.
If JUH is number 1 on your board bid on him. If he isn’t and you bid on him to prove a point your idiots to hand the number 1 pick to another club after you previous couple of seasons.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
How mature of you. Some tough love delivered there, straight out of the Collective Minds handbook.
There’s a huge difference between the messaging of having the number 1 pick and the rest. If you don’t get that then your view is more akin to a child than the previous poster. No surprises there. Crows fans have had a mare this off season with the complete inability to grasp basic trade concepts and how their clubs messaging is perceived by the rest of the afl.
If JUH is number 1 on your board bid on him. If he isn’t and you bid on him to prove a point your idiots to hand the number 1 pick to another club after you previous couple of seasons.
He's #1 on almost every club's board, that's why he will be bid on. There's no conspiracy theory about payback, the only conspiracy is the AFL changing the rules this year re the amount of picks which can be used to match a bid.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
So predictably spineless from the AFL. There is no need to open this rort back up.
Teams actually taking live picks to the draft will get screwed. And teams with academy players get them at a huge discount.
Say Swans get a bid on Campbell at pick 4 (2023), they already geta a 20% discount, so 1627 points (pick 7).

They can then go and match with 5 picks in the 40s they were never going to use. What a joke!

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
He’s clearly up there but to say theres clear distance between him and the next 3 or 4 is wrong in my opinion. There was probably a bigger gap last year between Rowell and the next bunch. JUH was touted as a top 6 chance before the season stated with serious question marks over his kicking. He hasn’t played a minute all year and yet somehow the media has spun it so he’s now miles ahead of any other player. If there wasn’t the controversy around him being NGA he’d be talked about as a talent on par with McDonald, Thilthorpe, DGB and Hollands
and likely behind at least a couple of them.
You just can't accept other opinion that are different from yours in an open discussion forum .

If Adelaide bids at pick 1, Bulldogs would have to give up all of their picks this year and STILL go into a deficit.

Surely Bulldogs has a contingency plan of trading our a future 2nd/3rd for a pick this year if Adelaide does bid early.
It would only be 81 points, but due to the last minute rule change by the AFL re: list spots this week we can trade our second rounders for more points.

Personally I'm expecting a late bid for (FS) Ewan McPherson too so we need to find another 151 points. A team with a lot of open list spots (e.g. North) might want another second rounder or two so we are probably in talks now.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Say Swans get a bid on Campbell at pick 4 (2023), they already geta a 20% discount, so 1627 points (pick 7).

They can then go and match with 5 picks in the 40s they were never going to use. What a joke!
The Reason this is happening is because of the list change and the unknown draft. Teams with no NGA's can trade out their later picks for much better ones to get in on the more talented kids. Besides those NGA teams will only be taking 1 or 2 on the list in any case or other teams in finals windows will take 1 or 2.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You just can't accept other opinion that are different from yours in an open discussion forum .
Yes that’s exactly what I’ve done.
Or maybe in fact I’m the one with the different opinion to the consensus that he’s a “clear” number 1. The consensus opinion that is being driven by the media. How is a kid that months ago was a chance to be in the conversation for top 5 now the “clear number 1” on all clubs draft boards despite not playing a game all year?
As I’ve said all along he’s clearly up there as a talent but to state he’s far and away the number 1 is a fallacy.
Again, if Adelaide have him rated as number 1 on their board they should 100% bid but it’s no given that he’s number 1 on their board or anyone else’s.

Last edited:
Back