Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2020 - Hannan, Martin, Treloar, Ugle-Hagan, Bedendo

AFL Club Focus

What should the Western Bulldogs prioritise this off-season?

• Getting more draft points to match a bid for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Getting an early pick before a bid comes for JUH

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Western Bulldogs club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
How mature of you. Some tough love delivered there, straight out of the Collective Minds handbook.
There’s a huge difference between the messaging of having the number 1 pick and the rest. If you don’t get that then your view is more akin to a child than the previous poster. No surprises there. Crows fans have had a mare this off season with the complete inability to grasp basic trade concepts and how their clubs messaging is perceived by the rest of the afl.
If JUH is number 1 on your board bid on him. If he isn’t and you bid on him to prove a point your idiots to hand the number 1 pick to another club after you previous couple of seasons.

We select the highest placed player on our talent order, it's what we've done in the past and I don't see why it would change just because it's pick 1. No different to Roos at 2, they know they're not getting him as well, so using the logic of that other poster, they also shouldn't bid. So he slips through to you guys at 20whatever your first selection is at. Anybody suggesting to do it as a strategy to impact the Dogs is a moron, bidding or not has got nothing to do with the Dogs and everything to do with our talent list.

You'll have to explain the messaging comment and the relevance to collective minds. Is there some special improvement that is imbibed by the player called first on draft night? They don't seem to end up being the best player of the pool too often, so whatever it is, it doesn't seem to work that well.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Say Swans get a bid on Campbell at pick 4 (2023), they already geta a 20% discount, so 1627 points (pick 7).

They can then go and match with 5 picks in the 40s they were never going to use. What a joke!

I thought you can only have as many draft picks as you have free spots on the list.

So if 4 picks are burned matching then there are still 3 picks required to fill the list. I guess they could all be late picks or Rookie picks...

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We select the highest placed player on our talent order, it's what we've done in the past and I don't see why it would change just because it's pick 1. No different to Roos at 2, they know they're not getting him as well, so using the logic of that other poster, they also shouldn't bid. So he slips through to you guys at 20whatever your first selection is at. Anybody suggesting to do it as a strategy to impact the Dogs is a moron, bidding or not has got nothing to do with the Dogs and everything to do with our talent list.

You'll have to explain the messaging comment and the relevance to collective minds. Is there some special improvement that is imbibed by the player called first on draft night? They don't seem to end up being the best player of the pool too often, so whatever it is, it doesn't seem to work that well.
I completely agree, if you have him number 1 on your board you should bid but your club does have to take into account whether the “story” of having pick 1 is compelling enough for you to skip.
Dogs fans and the club know we’ve lucked out. We know a bid is coming at 1-4. That’s why we’ve stacked enough(nearly) points to match a bid at 1.
The argument is around if you have him 2/3 on your board is it worth bidding at 1 anyway? If you do the kid you get after we match will get over it but don’t be mistaken, these kids want to go at 1. They’ve been working to this point and they want to be known as pick 1 from their year. Any elite kid that says “actually I’d rather you took me at 2 to ease the pressure” should be raising red flags all over the place. These kids aren’t shrinking violets.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I thought you can only have as many draft picks as you have free spots on the list.

So if 4 picks are burned matching then there are still 3 picks required to fill the list. I guess they could all be late picks or Rookie picks...
They changed this this year because of the list changes and draft problems due to Covid. Only 1 player needs to be drafted and no cap on amount of picks vs list space.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

No, the AFL changed the rules for this year and will change them back next year.

Why? " The AFL will revert to its usual rule next year, having allowed the clubs a one-off change given some had prepared for matching bids by already trading out future selections during last year's exchange period."

So because they screwed up the list numbers and not notifying teams, they have made another rule on the run and screwed teams even more (oh, except if you have a FS or NGA)

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
They changed this this year because of the list changes and draft problems due to Covid. Only 1 player needs to be drafted and no cap on amount of picks vs list space.
If list numbers are down by 1, then they should have only said they can have 1 extra pick to match, not open slather.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No, the AFL changed the rules for this year and will change them back next year.

Why? " The AFL will revert to its usual rule next year, having allowed the clubs a one-off change given some had prepared for matching bids by already trading out future selections during last year's exchange period."

So because they screwed up the list numbers and not notifying teams, they have made another rule on the run and screwed teams even more (oh, except if you have a FS or NGA)

They’re pretty much just gifting the top end NGAs this year before it gets scrapped for 2021.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I completely agree, if you have him number 1 on your board you should bid but your club does have to take into account whether the “story” of having pick 1 is compelling enough for you to skip.
Dogs fans and the club know we’ve lucked out. We know a bid is coming at 1-4. That’s why we’ve stacked enough(nearly) points to match a bid at 1.
The argument is around if you have him 2/3 on your board is it worth bidding at 1 anyway? If you do the kid you get after we match will get over it but don’t be mistaken, these kids want to go at 1. They’ve been working to this point and they want to be known as pick 1 from their year. Any elite kid that says “actually I’d rather you took me at 2 to ease the pressure” should be raising red flags all over the place. These kids aren’t shrinking violets.

Firstly, I think the story around pick 1 is extra pressure on the kid and a reminder that you were the worst team in that year. It's not something I'd go out of my way to ensure became a constant reminder. And I'd be very disappointed if our club bid at 1 for a player they had at any other position. My view is that you bid in the hope that the club who has special access declines to match. You bid because he's the player you want and you cross your fingers that they don't match. Bidding and hoping they do match makes zero sense to me.

Some perspective is that Rowie said on radio we should bid on JUH at 1, Campbell at 2 and then Jones at 3 just to screw with those clubs. Would be a great get nabbing Jones if he's 12th on our list with effective pick 2. Anyobody that has a view that even loosely aligns with Rowey is complete idiot. There are a few around though.

steve_m

Draftee
Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our Premiership coach
Who has only won a final in one of the 6 years he's been coaching, and seems to love playing players out of position.

Why play Cody Weightman up forward when you can play Ed Richards there? Why play an ruckman in the ruck when you can just play Josh Dunkley there? Seems to make perfect sense for your coach. I'm sure we'll be seeing Ugle-Hagan playing as a defender before long, and Aaron Naughton as a wingman.

steve_m

Draftee
Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Beveridge 1, Buckley 0. Big story next season will be how Collingwood's fire-sale has affected the playing group.
At least Buckley won't play Taylor Adams in the ruck.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who has only won a final in one of the 6 years he's been coaching, and seems to love playing players out of position.

Why play Cody Weightman up forward when you can play Ed Richards there? Why play an ruckman in the ruck when you can just play Josh Dunkley there? Seems to make perfect sense for your coach. I'm sure we'll be seeing Ugle-Hagan playing as a defender before long, and Aaron Naughton as a wingman.
Have you seen Ed Richards play forward? Clearly not as he’s very average up there. His best footy behind the ball.

steve_m

Draftee
Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have you seen Ed Richards play forward? Clearly not as he’s very average up there. His best footy behind the ball.
Is your reading comprehension that bad?

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is your reading comprehension that bad?
“Why play Cody Weightman up forward when you can play Ed Richards there?” No it’s pretty good.

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
At least Buckley won't play Taylor Adams in the ruck.

Nah he’d just trade him out for a pick in the 60s and tell him no one wants to play with him

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If list numbers are down by 1, then they should have only said they can have 1 extra pick to match, not open slather.
The afl stopped allowing teams to do this because it made a joke of their points system. Now they bring back the rort because teams sooked about having to pay a fair price to match bids.
Most of the third round this year will be zombie picks.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Happy to hold my hand up when wrong. The Swans list manager literally said on the draft podcast they view JUH as the “clear” number 1. Not sure how when he hasn’t played all year but if that’s representative of the broader view by list managers fair enough.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
The afl stopped allowing teams to do this because it made a joke of their points system. Now they bring back the rort because teams sooked about having to pay a fair price to match bids.
Most of the third round this year will be zombie picks.
Plus they will change it back next year when they lose first round matching - talk about an uneven playing field.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Happy to hold my hand up when wrong. The Swans list manager literally said on the draft podcast they view JUH as the “clear” number 1. Not sure how when he hasn’t played all year but if that’s representative of the broader view by list managers fair enough.
My understanding is that' the case.

Most players haven't played this year, and those that have aren't showing enough to push him off the top spot.

He's a clear #1 and the dogs will get a gift from the AFL.

Interesting, as one WA based draft watcher can't fathom McDonald slipping past pick 1 after what he's done in the WAFL.
Thilthorpe is being linked to the Crows by virtue of being an SA lad but I see the no 1 pick as a two-horse race. I doubt JUH slips to a bid at pick 4.

Worth noting that next years' draft is meant to be midfielder-dominant so Hollands may well slip to 4 or 5.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

I think the most interesting comment out of that interview was the fact that Thilthorpe sounds like he has serious OP.

Likely to throw some curveballs on draft night imo.

Euku

All Australian
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would it be possible to trade our pick 33 for a bunch of later pick points gain then live trade 26 to someone when jamarra bid comes in then live trade back in with someone else to say pick 30

Would it be possible to trade our pick 33 for a bunch of later pick points gain then live trade 26 to someone when jamarra bid comes in then live trade back in with someone else to say pick 30
Yes. The only limitation on that this year (other than the usual ones about future picks) is that you can’t trade a pick back to the club you got it from.

Back