Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2020 - Hannan, Martin, Treloar, Ugle-Hagan, Bedendo

AFL Club Focus

What should the Western Bulldogs prioritise this off-season?

• Getting more draft points to match a bid for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Getting an early pick before a bid comes for JUH

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Western Bulldogs club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pick 6 isn’t guaranteed to get one of them.

pick 6 won’t then be pick 6 will it once the Dogs jump up?

McDonald, Thilthorpe, Phillips, DGB and Hollands = 5 players. + JUH = 6 players

If JUH gets a bid, Pick 6 = Pick 7

That Essendon pick misses out.
I’m an idiot sorry

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Why will Crows fans celebrate their club relegating their first pick?
Because it will mean Hamish has stuck true to his ratings if he thinks Jamarra is the best player in this draft.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Crows fans Applauding bidding on a player your club won’t even get? I know it’s been a tough year for Crows fans, but Jesus Christ.
And Jamarra will have the dreaded pick 1 badge and all the s**t that goes with it if he doesn't live up to his pick 1 ranking.

Crows fans Applauding bidding on a player your club won’t even get? I know it’s been a tough year for Crows fans, but Jesus Christ.
Not sure about applauding but we are likely to bid pick 1 because we believe he is the best player.

Our club has a history of bidding on players. The most of any club I believe.

Bullies didn't deal their pick 14 in a swap, so we owe no favours.

It's also about moving our later picks up.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All about ratings, or moving picks, or not getting pick 14, or history of bidding? lol how petty. Crows can bid on swans NGA at their next pick if that's the case and still do half the same.

It doesn't even sound like crows are going to bid from media and rumors. It's like the same belief from fans that crouch will get pick 2 compo.

There is 0 good reason to bid at 1 as Dogs can still trade to get in the points to cover the rest. Even if JUH is worth pick 1 it's not going be a disadvantage. Besides look at the last few pick 1s who all ended up rising star winners or could of been rising star winners. The stigmata and pressure of pick 1 on a kid has become a non-issue.

It also doesn't disadvantage dogs in the slightest. They would be prepared to match at 1. Trying to wipe the dogs chances of picking up another good draftee wont work either.

I don't think crows fans understand or they just missed the memo but they also have NGA kids. Just like Port has. Or atleast can do NGA.

TheTassieHawk

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The NGA changes should improve the system in future years.

What I don’t like about bidding for NGAs and Farher sons is the bundling of junk picks in the 20s and 30s to match a high pick.

It is a shame the Dogs aren’t forced to match using a maximum of 2 picks which limits the manipulation of the draft order and to be blunt they should be required to use a top 5 pick to match a pick 1 bid which would require them to trade up rather than down in the order.

This would incentivise them to deal a good player in order to draft a good player, or to sell their 2021 1st to move up and minimises the impact on teams that are holding early picks.

While I have used the Dogs example this year it holds for Henry, Green, Blakey and pretty much all the others bid on early in the past. The points rort could have been closed off but the AFL just isn’t interested in doing so.

I think he underestimates the marketing value of Pick 1 to the Crows as a club.

Take all the build up, the fanfare of having the pick of the draft, the spotlight on the night and lead up.....and then relegate yourselves to getting the second best player in the draft after watching another club take center stage and place a jumper on a kid that as always going to be matched. Madness.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There is 0 good reason to bid at 1 as Dogs can still trade to get in the points to cover the rest. Even if JUH is worth pick 1 it's not going be a disadvantage. Besides look at the last few pick 1s who all ended up rising star winners or could of been rising star winners. The stigmata and pressure of pick 1 on a kid has become a non-issue.

They've predominantly been smaller players though who don't seem to have as hard of a time having an impact early. Even Weitering as a defender has the advantage of the ball coming towards him as well as cheap kicks in defence that helped him get into the game.

The players that seem to struggle with the no. 1 pick tag are the tall forwards. They come in with the hype while playing one of the hardest positions on the ground for a young player to have an impact in

If you look at the first round picks that have struggled with pressure and performance over the last decade or so (as well as injury), they've generally been drafted as tall forwards (Patton, Watts, Boyd, McCartin).

I think even if JUH gets drafted at no. 1 to the dogs, he'd be fine as he'll be coming into a strong side. But I can see the appeal of Adelaide trying to avoid giving someone like Thilthorpe the no. 1 pick tag.

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And Jamarra will have the dreaded pick 1 badge and all the sh*t that goes with it if he doesn't live up to his pick 1 ranking.
I don’t think the critical Adelaide media will give two sh*ts if the player you guys select is at #2. If he struggles there is no way he will get any leeway. And nor should he. It won’t make any difference at all if he’s pick 1 or 2.

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah the bleeding from the hands, feet and eyes is tough on the number one picks 😜

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
From what it seems like will happen is the first 2 have probably got a target already. Thillthorpe 1, Mcdonald 2. Swans may choose 1 of the 3 top 5 remaining depending who they see more of a need in. Phillips, DGB, Hollands. I think Hawks want DGB though, so if swans take him then Hawks will bid on JUH for more time to either make a trade for someone else or to decided who out of the 2 remaining to get. I think Suns want DGB too.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
My feeling is he is going to get bid on 1.
Reason Last year of NGA academy top 20. Adelaide will definitely make it a memorable one after not getting Crouch combo pick 2.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My feeling is he is going to get bid on 1.
Reason Last year of NGA academy top 20. Adelaide will definitely make it a memorable one after not getting Crouch combo pick 2.
I think the exact opposite. It’s an anomaly that won’t happen again, no real point in Adelaide making a stand about it. All clubs know that the likes of JUH, Taryn Thomas, Quaynor etc has been a dum situation.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I just don't get the big deal. Particularly the view that Adelaide won't or shouldn't bid on JUH, but North definitely will. Seems to me a lot of the arguments for Adelaide passing on him could just as easily and equally apply to North.

Or maybe North will pass on him as well, and Sydney, and Hawthorn ..

Ogilvie has always bid on a player that fills the clubs list needs and/or talent profile and been quite open about it

If Adelaide bids on JUH, won't their actual pick 1 player miss out on the $20k?

Correct. But the top 2-5 still get $5k, and I'm sure there's other ways the players can be "remunerated".

I'm sure whoever it is will get a lovely new Optus phone, some nice new Bridgestone tyres for his car, some Chemist Warehouse vouchers, some Seppeltsfield wines, some...

...well, you catch my drift.

Dogs don't need that much more points. Just trade like 41 and 42 or even 42 and 54 for something earlier. Dogs have been trading futures anyway.
A bid at pick 1 only results in an 81 point deficit - it doesn't effect our 2021 round 1 unless it falls in the teens, and even then it's only one spot.

We may even have a handshake agreement pre-draft that if we get a pick 1 bid we move up the order by trading a 2021 4th rounder and a 2020 second round pick up a few extra spots.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who cares, that's peanuts compared to making a statement to the VFL. If we bid on JUH, we still get the same player at pick 2.

We were Wooden Spooners, we should have been able to select the best player in the draft JUH. The fact the VFL created the rort that is NGA's due to the squealing of Maguire etc means we don't get the player we were entitled to.

Pay up Dogs, you got Treloar for basically free, JUH will cost, we have lots of form bidding on players where they should be bid at - JUH is pick 1

I look forward to how easy our membership sell will be next year.
A finals team that picked up Treloar and the best kid in the draft post-season.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
I look forward to how easy our membership sell will be next year.
A finals team that picked up Treloar and the best kid in the draft post-season.
You would think it will have a big boost. Memberships would've dropped if we rolled over for Dunkley. I can just see it

Dunkley the hard inside mid, handballs to Treloar who bangs it into F50 where JUH slots it through the big sticks

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
You would think it will have a big boost. Memberships would've dropped if we rolled over for Dunkley. I can just see it

Dunkley the hard inside mid, handballs to Treloar who bangs it into F50 where JUH slots it through the big sticks
You forgot the best part - where JUH stands on someone's head to take another MOTY contender!
Looking forward to seeing him do his thing.

Back