Preview Western Bulldogs V Melbourne: JLT Community Series

Remove this Banner Ad

And what happens if Tom Campbell dominates in those 4-5 weeks, and then Roughy comes in and it's not working? Who gets dropped?

Out of all the problems to have, it's a pretty good one if that's how it goes. I guess that's more what he was getting at by saying it's the worst time.
The worst time from a personal perspective? Again, I would say it would be worse for him to have the same injury in August or September - then it wouldn't matter if Campbell dominates - either way he won't get back if we were to play finals again.

It's interesting the way things work.

Everything coming out of the club last season suggested that Campbell was ahead of Roughead throughout pre-season, but he got injured before round 1. By the end of the year Roughead was our clear #1 and premiership ruckman.

Everybody this year assumed that Roughead would start the season in front, but got injured before round 1.

It doesn't mean anything and I'm not superstitious enough to entertain otherwise, but I'm excited to see if Campbell grabs this opportunity and runs with it, as Rough did last year.

There was a clip of Campbell checking out Roughies premiership medal that he was wearing. Cant remember when, maybe after the presentation ceremony - neither guy said anything during that clip, but there was so much subtext going on!

The worst time from a personal perspective? Again, I would say it would be worse for him to have the same injury in August or September - then it wouldn't matter if Campbell dominates - either way he won't get back if we were to play finals again.
Meant it more as you've just put so much work into preseason to have it all undone with 2 months on the sidelines right before the season when you need to be getting into the swing of things. But you're right it's still better than missing 2 months during the season.

I dunno I'm just a bit pissed off because I was expecting big things from Rough this year and it was nice to finally have a tall who is genuinely elite in the air running around. Anyway like I said I am a fan of Campbell so hopefully he can take his opportunity just like roughy did last preseason!

What's the plan if chalk bones Tommy gets hurt - he hasn't been the most durable fella around?
Not sure Roughy has been a consistent picture of health either over the journey, saying that neither has Tom Boyd, most ruckmen tend to get injured regularly
All teams would struggle if their number 1 ruck was out for an extended period of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure Roughy has been a consistent picture of health either over the journey, saying that neither has Tom Boyd, most ruckmen tend to get injured regularly
Not prior to 2016 but he played 25 games last year - he was one constant in the side.

All teams would struggle if their number 1 ruck was out for an extended period of time.
I reckon so too. Those that are really tall don't seem to be put together as strong, as if their tendons and ligaments are stretched? It happens to most big men.

No reason Fletch couldnt continue to improve with extra experience and confidence.

I think defenders benefit more from experience than, say, forwards who seem to get by initially on talent. An inexperienced forward can kick a bag of goals with talent and nobody cares about the 10 times their man beat them or they stuffed up. Defenders live and die by not letting their opponent win a contest, and not making mistakes.
Plus the nature of defending - guile, reading the play, positioning, etc. are all skills that you develop and you keep developing in time. It's very rare that you find a young defender who is very good at reading the play (and just as an aside I remember listening to Pure Footy on SEN when the Champion Data dude was saying that they really rated Harris Andrews from Brisbane because he was putting up intercept numbers that virtually no other 18/19 year old had achieved his numbers in the time that they had data. The fact that Andrews' numbers weren't that impressive in itself just demonstrates how much these stats are dominated by older defenders).

Roberts is still 23. I'd say the peak/optimum age for a key defender is 27-30.

Of course you get some freaks like Alex Rance or even Jeremy McGovern, but we're not asking Roberts to be an All-Australian quality defender, but in terms of being among the best 10 or so key defenders in the competition, that's still not even out of the question.

These are all players, who if Roberts doesn't reach the level of, we'll still be okay with his production:

Heath Grundy - wasn't until his 23 turning 24 season that he solidified his key defensive role at Sydney.
Tom McDonald - not until he was 23 did he massively improve even having already played 50 games
Steven May - established himself at age 22, considered one of the best 5 key defenders at age 24
Dane Rampe - mature aged recruit
Nick Haynes - established himself this year at aged 23/4
Ben Reid - established himself at age 22
Daniel Talia - was a RS winner but clearly had the best year of his career this year at age 25
Harry Taylor - drafted as a 22 year old
Jack Hombsch - didn't cement a place in the team until age 21
James Frawley - didn't cement a place until age 21, came good at age 22-23

You get the idea so far. Given that Roberts has already "established" himeself by age 23, there's no reason why he can't become a top 10 key defender.
The fact that he didn't "establish" in the seasons where he was aged 18/19/20/21 we can't really hold that against him, because that's typical of every key defender in the league that ends up being good.

Hes a genuine tall too. The one thing he needs to be able to do is consistently contain the big gun forward - Kennedy or similar. Hamling showed some ability to do that for us, and he was 194/195. Fletch is 196/197 but slower and less agile. He will need all his guile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back