AFLW Western Bulldogs vs Richmond Sunday 6 February, 1.10pm Whitten Oval

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
First time since the Round 2 game of the 2021 season that we have scored below 30 points. Could potentially be one of the longer streaks in AFLW

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-P|NHL-P|V8|F1
extremely lackluster performance today... almost no polish in the kicking and marking which let them have too much possession and when they got possession we would tackle them to either not be paid a HTB/incorrect-disposal or they'd get away.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Our midfield is miles behind the better teams as a unit. It’s the primary reason why we can’t go near most of the foundation sides + North Melbourne.

With the new expansion sides coming, I fear that it will take us a long time until we see a Richmond AFLW side with a decent midfield.

Honestly, I blame Kate Sheahan. The decisions she made early on has screwed us up for years in my opinion.

Having said that, our ends at full-strength aren’t too bad.

Our skills are poor. We don’t kick to our own players advantage half the time. Hard to watch at the moment.
They seem to stuggle with the concept of "advantage side". I would also suggest the team gets a bit confident about their training skills and they seem to struggle to get translated into tired game skills. Whereas, the Bulldogs quick hands and ball security suggest they train more tired, so as the be readier for this.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I wonder how happy BA would be with Tessa playing AFLW.

I know some sports at National level would consider it as not being committed enough to their sport. Big egos floating around.

Still a LOT to play out here given the World Cup is over 7 months away.
Quite possibly , I don’t think you can play at your optimum at both , there’ll be a compromise at every turn , Conti is next level focusing on footy

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Our midfield is miles behind the better teams as a unit. It’s the primary reason why we can’t go near most of the foundation sides + North Melbourne.

With the new expansion sides coming, I fear that it will take us a long time until we see a Richmond AFLW side with a decent midfield.

Honestly, I blame Kate Sheahan. The decisions she made early on has screwed us up for years in my opinion.

Having said that, our ends at full-strength aren’t too bad.
We actually replaced what’s her name doing the recruiting with a bloke ,,,jury is out on his selections . Jess hosking fell into our lap

Coaching staff clean out has to happen

Tesorio Coaching defence like seriously
Chapman been there over 5 years as kicking coach yet we still can't kick

Browne midfield coach very ordinary
And Ferguson good teacher but no tactical nous every other club has improved yearly we keep going backwards

Quite possibly , I don’t think you can play at your optimum at both , there’ll be a compromise at every turn , Conti is next level focusing on footy

I think she can, but the capacity to do it will fall of a cliff at some stage soon (she's 28-29?). If the basketball game was 24hrs after the football game - she probably couldn't and would risk injury tbh.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Some fair criticism but overall we are being too harsh I think. We’ve lost 3 girls in the run there, and it probably had a fair bit of impact in the end. They were dead set gifted their second 1/4 goal by the umps and our technical errors and we were robbed of an almost certain goal by the 1/4 time siren.

Definitely missing Cordner, but Miller is showing some great signs.

Fully agree on Stahl, she is looking a busted flush, too slow and too clumsy and seems to have limited endurance into the bargain.

Kelly definitely needed the run, but she may struggle for a while until she gets her match fitness back to where it needs to be.

McKenzie also wisely being restricted a little, but looked fantastic in flashes.

We can find improvement as girls get stable in their positions and learn, there were a lot of changes including major structural changes in recent weeks.

We can definitely learn to show more finesse in contests but I am sure I am not imagining we were on the wrong end of at least net 4-5 umpiring decisions there, it is like we are playing against a wall of prejudice or something.

Last thing there it is a bit of a quirky venue and they know how to play it the Mutts.

So we should stick with the girls there are some reasons they can improve. A bit of luck with injuries and umpires might be a good start.

Coaching staff clean out has to happen

Tesorio Coaching defence like seriously
Chapman been there over 5 years as kicking coach yet we still can't kick

Browne midfield coach very ordinary
And Ferguson good teacher but no tactical nous every other club has improved yearly we keep going backwards

Tough call on Chapman, I know the outputs don't bear that comment out, but it takes time. It takes about 6,000 hours of honing a skill to become elite, give or take. A lot of these girls are so far off that - the ones that played with brothers etc are really obvious, those hours add up, a bit like compound interest. It's why I think Beth Lynch is so worth working with, she could get to elite in this company if enough work can be done.

I think she can, but the capacity to do it will fall of a cliff at some stage soon (she's 28-29?). If the basketball game was 24hrs after the football game - she probably couldn't and would risk injury tbh.

No way can you play a WNBL game 24 hrs after AFLW.

Just not enough time to recover.

Some fair criticism but overall we are being too harsh I think. We’ve lost 3 girls in the run there, and it probably had a fair bit of impact in the end. They were dead set gifted their second 1/4 goal by the umps and our technical errors and we were robbed of an almost certain goal by the 1/4 time siren.

Fully agree on Stahl, she is looking a busted flush, too slow and too clumsy and seems to have limited endurance into the bargain.

Kelly definitely needed the run, but she may struggle for a while until she gets her match fitness back to where it needs to be.

McKenzie also wisely being restricted a little, but looked fantastic in flashes.

We can find improvement as girls get stable in their positions and learn, there were a lot of changes including major structural changes in recent weeks.

We can definitely learn to show more finesse in contests but I am sure I am not imagining we were on the wrong end of at least net 4-5 umpiring decisions there, it is like we are playing against a wall of prejudice or something.

Last thing there it is a bit of a quirky venue and they know how to play it the Mutts.

So we should stick with the girls there are some reasons they can improve. A bit of luck with injuries and umpires might be a good start.

Add to that they are part time AND their time at the club is restricted due to COVID protocols. The men and women cannot be at the club at the same time.

Rocco sifreddi

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
We have no midfield depth conti , McKenzie when fit , then daylight , foot skills are a big problem , Brennan would be the best forward
In the comp in a top side , dissapointing season
So far not much positives.

Some fair criticism but overall we are being too harsh I think. We’ve lost 3 girls int he run there, and it probably had a fair bit of impact in the end. They were dead set gifted their second 1/4 goal by the umps and our technical errors and we were robbed of an almost certain goal by the 1/4 time siren.

Voice of reason thank you!

We are batting pretty low atm. Two girls desperate for the run in key roles.

Not sure why Ferg is so attracted to D'arcy playing forward. We always step up, get back in a game when she goes back. She is no Rance, but she is such a good reader of the ball coming at her, and that simply doesn't happen yet for us when the ball is going forward.

Thought McDonald stepped up. Her run with role on Blackburn was Ok late - sure Blackburn killed us early, but MegMac subdued her late and got some ball too. It was a good training moment for her.

I wonder what our rotations dropped to compared to the Doggies?

Miller, where would we be without her - can't afford to lose her.

Need a really classy small forward while Yassir is finding her way and Stahl is losing her's.

Everytime ElMac got the ball we looked better. Now her teammates need to urgently need find space because she will give it if that is right option.

Great Wall of Prejudice! Nailed it again MR!

Last edited:
Back