Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2020 - Hannan, Martin, Treloar, Ugle-Hagan, Bedendo

AFL Club Focus

What should the Western Bulldogs prioritise this off-season?

• Getting more draft points to match a bid for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Getting an early pick before a bid comes for JUH

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs club focus thread
Beer and punting, going to the races as a footballer they are prone to dabbling in the white stuff.
Don't think he goes to the races, just likes a punt. A few were involved in trotters at 1 stage with Josh Jenkins.

Not sure what Melbourne's like? I've lived for extended periods in Perth and Adelaide. Pretty hard to keep secrets as an AFL footballer if your partying in either city

Don't think he goes to the races, just likes a punt. A few were involved in trotters at 1 stage with Josh Jenkins.

Not sure what Melbourne's like? I've lived for extended periods in Perth and Adelaide. Pretty hard to keep secrets as an AFL footballer if your partying in either city
Yeah its a lot easier to get away with it in melbourne, so many more places to go than perth and adelaide. All im saying is you'd be silly to think thats the first time hes ever done it.

Yeah its a lot easier to get away with it in melbourne, so many more places to go than perth and adelaide. All im saying is you'd be silly to think thats the first time hes ever done it.
I guess the other thing about it is, if they were regular users, you'd think they'd contacting a dealer not buying a small baggy off of some random at 5:00am while wandering around pissed in the centre of the city.

It all strikes me as a bit of an impulse buy

I guess the other thing about it is, if they were regular users, you'd think they'd contacting a dealer not buying a small baggy off of some random at 5:00am while wandering around pissed in the centre of the city.

It all strikes me as a bit of an impulse buy
Just because it was an impulse buy doesnt mean they dont have a dealer, it was 5am after all. Anyway dont think this convo belongs on this thread.

It kinda is because if you get caught once you start to think how many times are they doing it and not getting caught, plus there are so many loopholes of getting out a strike. Makes clubs think twice if he’s the sort of person they want being a leader at their club.
Yeah, I guess clubs would assume that mild recreational drug use is something that's never happened at their club, so having someone who did something once will just be ruinous.

Just because it was an impulse buy doesnt mean they dont have a dealer, it was 5am after all. Anyway dont think this convo belongs on this thread.
Maybe.

I think any club that is desperate for improvement and to get closer to a flag is not going to dismiss the opportunity to get a player of Crouch's quality for free, just because he did something dumb at 5am while on holidays.

I think Crows will get 1, 19 and 20 (Crouch).

Pick 2 for Crouch would cause an absolute mutiny.
And I'd be leading it, regardless of my Bulldogs fanship.

Would be more heinous than Frawley getting Melbourne pick 3.

Crows won't trade Crouch for 20 - and if the offer only gets pick 20, they can easily match.

Crouch is last year's B&F winner - in a world where Zac Williams gets $850k (a less valuable player by any measure), Crouch will get $750k from someone. Certainly, if St Kilda, Geelong or even Richmond bomb out of the finals, they'll come a knocking.

Again - if Williams is band one and Daniher is band one, Crouch certainly will be.

You are high.

Given the rumours of Crouch getting 700k would result in Band 1 compo. Firstly saints would pay a little extra to avoid a trade and they keep their first rounder. I expect crows will attempt to get dogs first pick and deal they won’t take JUH with pick 1 or 2.

Given the rumours of Crouch getting 700k would result in Band 1 compo. Firstly saints would pay a little extra to avoid a trade and they keep their first rounder. I expect crows will attempt to get dogs first pick and deal they won’t take JUH with pick 1 or 2.
700 is band 2 usually. Band 1 is well over 700. Considering Richmond got band 3 for Ellis who was getting 600 a year.

700 is band 2 usually. Band 1 is well over 700. Considering Richmond got band 3 for Ellis who was getting 600 a year.
Difference between the 2 is age. Also saints will be ensuring it falls in band 1 as they do not want to give up their first pick.

I don't buy into the silent handshake theory - I don't think the Crows will bid pick 1 regardless, but if you get Pick 2 I think it's likely to happen.

Apart from that, I wouldn't be surprised if our clubs do a deal anyway. You have two good second rounders, and may get more depending on what happens with Atkins and Hartigan (which players are matched, which aren't, etc.). Leaves you guys with a really good hand of picks to get our first rounder. JUH bid aside, the Crows as a trade partner make the most sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't buy into the silent handshake theory - I don't think the Crows will bid pick 1 regardless, but if you get Pick 2 I think it's likely to happen.

Apart from that, I wouldn't be surprised if our clubs do a deal anyway. You have two good second rounders, and may get more depending on what happens with Atkins and Hartigan (which players are matched, which aren't, etc.). Leaves you guys with a really good hand of picks to get our first rounder. JUH bid aside, the Crows as a trade partner make the most sense
I don't see any reason for why the Crows will not bid on pick 1 for Ugle-Hagan. If the Dogs match, Adelaide will get the entire Dogs draft hand and can still settle with McDonald or Thiltrope and if the Dogs don't match, Adelaide still get the best key forward in the draft and projected pick 1. It's a win-win situation for Adelaide if they decide to bid.

This is a classic case of why the difference between band 1 and 2 is just too bloody huge, could be 22 picks this year!!

Crouch is the perfect example of where a band 1.5 is needed (a pick half way between the clubs first and 2nd picks , moves as any other pick does).

Eg, this year Adelaide would get pick 9 for Crouch and Essendon would get pick 15 for Daniher.

I don't see any reason for why the Crows will not bid on pick 1 for Ugle-Hagan. If the Dogs match, Adelaide will get the entire Dogs draft hand and can still settle with McDonald or Thiltrope and if the Dogs don't match, Adelaide still get the best key forward in the draft and projected pick 1. It's a win-win situation for Adelaide if they decide to bid.
twomeys main point on this is that the message it sends to the fanbase is that you didnt get the person that you actually wanted with the 1st pick and that it changes the language around the new franchise player. that being said, i totally respect the point on why they could/may want to bid

Can someone explain to me how JUH became an NGA? I read it was less then 2 years ago?
He played for Oakleigh chargers and vic country....

Not like he was from out in whoop whoop right?

Can someone explain to me how JUH became an NGA? I read it was less then 2 years ago?

From Warrnambool which is part of our zone. Started playing for Oakleigh when he started boarding at school in Melbourne.

we’ve been working with him for more than two years.

No way are the Crows getting pick 2, if he was really worth that then Crows would match but everyone even the AFL know his not

He's from the country and we've been working with him since he was 14. It's not like this is a recent thing...

This is a classic case of why the difference between band 1 and 2 is just too bloody huge, could be 22 picks this year!!

Crouch is the perfect example of where a band 1.5 is needed (a pick half way between the clubs first and 2nd picks , moves as any other pick does).

Eg, this year Adelaide would get pick 9 for Crouch and Essendon would get pick 15 for Daniher.
I also think the compo for restricted needs to be discounted as the club has an opportunity to match

No way are the Crows getting pick 2, if he was really worth that then Crows would match but everyone even the AFL know his not
The magic number will be lower. I expect player salaries to reduce slightly and there will be less players on the list. Free agency and trade period is likely to be postponed until a deal with the players is done.

Back