Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2020 - Hannan, Martin, Treloar, Ugle-Hagan, Bedendo

AFL Club Focus

What should the Western Bulldogs prioritise this off-season?

• Getting more draft points to match a bid for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Getting an early pick before a bid comes for JUH

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs club focus thread
The magic number will be lower. I expect player salaries to reduce slightly and there will be less players on the list. Free agency and trade period is likely to be postponed until a deal with the players is done.
Whatever they decide if Crouch goes for 2 then it shows how stuffed Free Agenncy is. They need to change compo so it comes from the recruiting club. To penalise all the other clubs for some clubs incompetence is wrong

Whatever they decide if Crouch goes for 2 then it shows how stuffed Free Agenncy is. They need to change compo so it comes from the recruiting club. To penalise all the other clubs for some clubs incompetence is wrong
James Frawley was the same... It’s a flawed system but he should be band 1. If the crows finished 4th and got pick 14 no one would bat an eyelid...

Been said before but free agency compo as a concept is ludicrous, and if it wasn't for the ALFPA demanding that a team of spuds be paid as much as whoever wins the flag it wouldn't be needed. The compensation for losing a free agent/having a s**t team should be freeing up plenty of cap space to attract mercenaries and retain young talent, and things would balance themselves out fairly quickly.

But if crows finished 6th. They would get pick 14 for compo. It just how it is as compo is based in where a team finishes.

Crows unlikely to get pick 2.

Likewise Essendon (Joe Daniher) and Adelaide (Brad Crouch) want first-round compensation picks for their departing stars, but may have to settle for end-of-first round selection picks.

Crouch’s new salary at St Kilda will be significantly less than $700,000 a year, it was confirmed on Thursday.

James Frawley was the same... It’s a flawed system but he should be band 1. If the crows finished 4th and got pick 14 no one would bat an eyelid...
Frawley was the world’s free agent decision and one as bad has fortunately not been repeated. Let’s not repeat mistakes made years ago

But if crows finished 6th. They would get pick 14 for compo. It just how it is as compo is based in where a team finishes.
I know how the system works and there is still a discretionary aspect which will be used as it should be. Crouch is only restricted so if he were really worth pick 2 then the crows would not let him go. I’m sure they will make the correct call

I know how the system works and there is still a discretionary aspect which will be used as it should be. Crouch is only restricted so if he were really worth pick 2 then the crows would not let him go. I’m sure they will make the correct call
Correct crows willing to part ways due to the pick available. That would guarantee 2 of Hollands, McDonald or Thilthorpe.

Correct crows willing to part ways due to the pick available. That would guarantee 2 of Hollands, McDonald or Thilthorpe.
It’s not happening. The committee has discretion and will use it hence the warning and they will use it more on a restricted cause 5he club can match

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I haven't seen is the secondary effect that the compensation makes it harder for WB to match. I see compensation could effect points in the region of 236 to 315. Currently you can match Pick 2 easily.

What I haven't seen is the secondary effect that the compensation makes it harder for WB to match. I see compensation could effect points in the region of 236 to 315. Currently you can match Pick 2 easily.

it's expected at this stage pick 12 will be traded out for a points profit which would bridge the gap any compo will make and hopefully some of the way to a potential pick 1 bid

But it is still the extra points that are required. I suppose you are lucky that you will be out of your misery early in the draft. While Port sweats a little more with their future top 10 hoping there aren't other F/S and Academy picks.

Yeah we currently cover pick 2. As you say that will slide a bit with all the likely compo picks coming in. But pick 12 should be in high demand. Later picks this year are going to be a massive lottery with the lack of Vic football this year, so i think we'll be fighting off suitors for it who should offer a pretty healthy upgrade in terms of points. Adelaide seem the most logical to deal with at this stage but it could be anyone who has a swag of picks after the first round.

Crows unlikely to get pick 2.

Likewise Essendon (Joe Daniher) and Adelaide (Brad Crouch) want first-round compensation picks for their departing stars, but may have to settle for end-of-first round selection picks.

Crouch’s new salary at St Kilda will be significantly less than $700,000 a year, it was confirmed on Thursday.
"Confirmed"...who by, Sam Manure?

The correct call is to base the pick on the rules in place, not change them because some people say 'he's not worth it'.

Should they also change the rules on JUH because the Dogs don't deserve the best player in the draft?

The correct call is to base the pick on the rules in place, not change them because some people say 'he's not worth it'.

Should they also change the rules on JUH because the Dogs don't deserve the best player in the draft?
The rules in place have always included the review process so nothing has changed and you won’t be getting pick 2

And some late breaking news for you they have changed the NGA rules but fortunately for us it’s from next season. Given Swan hav3 benefitted wit Mills, Heaney, Pies with Quanyor, Etc etc I won’t feel too guilty

The rules in place have always included the review process so nothing has changed and you won’t be getting pick 2

And some late breaking news for you they have changed the NGA rules but fortunately for us it’s from next season. Given Swan hav3 benefitted wit Mills, Heaney, Pies with Quanyor, Etc etc I won’t feel too guilty
Have Father/Son rules changed after 20 years of waiting to get one?

And there lies in the problem. there isnt any hard fast rules. its so full of grey areas. hell they even have sai that they have discretion to change a pick if they think its over the top. Saints could give Crouch a million a year but if they think its over the top can still award band 2

Twomey saying he doesn't expect a bid until Pick 4. No one is more connected within the industry than Twomey, and his mail tends to get stronger as the draft approaches
So a finalist is going to get the consensus best player in the draft and at least three clubs are going to pass on him to be nice to the Dogs.

I'm assuming we don't bid at pick 1 because we've done a cosy deal with late picks for Dogs pick 14 and we want to lump the pick 1 Adelaide media and supporter pressure on some poor saviour kid we pick. But why wouldn't North bid on JUH at pick 2? North were done no favours with Thomas. FMD this competition is broken.

Back