Western Bulldogs x Thor

Do you like this Marvel inspired Jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We are not receiving $1.3m. We are trying to recover the $1.3m we dropped in merchandise revenue last year.

Who would have thunk that would happen given the year before was off a premiership year with over $1million more in merchandise sales directly related to a premiership
Exactly! In 2017 they sold heaps of ‘gold logo guernsey’s’. I bought 3 in the family. I probably won’t buy another jumper in quite a while. Blind Freddy could have told the there’d be a drop off?? Are marketing people the dumbest on earth.
This year everyone loved the ‘retro’ Aussies cricket shirt, and the marketing people were surprised? I tell you what marketing people, the punters love traditional guernsey’s, in any sport.

Western Bulldogs’ Thor-inspired jumper proving popular with fans

Eliza Sewell, Herald Sun

March 14, 2019 6:39am

The Bulldogs Thor-inspired jumper may have polarised fans, but it's flying off the shelves.

More than 100 jumpers were pre-ordered in the 24 hours since the Western Bulldogs announced the distinctive God of Thunder guernsey.

The Herald Sun revealed today the jumper is part of the club's push to reverse a superhero-size drop in merchandise sales.
The Bulldogs had a 53 per cent decrease in merchandise sales last year - about $1.3 million in lost revenue.

The club wanted to focus on "creating new and exciting merchandise offers" with the Round 1 clash with Sydney at Marvel Stadium seen as a great opportunity.
The AFL has confirmed Sydney will wear its clash strip with a white back for the March 23 match.

The Bulldogs jumper features Marvel's Norse god's armour on the front and his crimson cape at the back.

It cost $120 for adults and $90 for kids.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

...Unfortunately for those that have a love of traditions of the game this is not the end nor the cringeworthy worst of it. Ive been assured that the Kids will love the enhanced crowd interaction that they have planned as part of an even larger Marvel tie-in though!
I hope this is not as dire as I fear it will be.

Why do we need "crowd interaction"? I just want to watch footy and when the they're not actually out there playing I want some peace and quiet to talk to whoever I'm at the footy with. I don't need "crowd interaction" thanks very much and I defintely don't want it.

This could be the straw that microwaved the membership card...

As a season ticket holder to our local minor league hockey team I am used to this sort of thing. We do 'specialty' jerseys several times a year. Always auctioned of to raise money for a charity. There have even been games where the visiting team has joined in with the home team. There was a Batman/Joker combination once. The Vegas team once wore black and white prison uniforms, their opponent wore orange prison uniforms, the refs wore blue police uniforms and the goal judges had powdered wigs. Over the years I've seen some really good ones and some really bad ones. The Thor jumper is not that bad. Hey, it coulda been Spongebob...
https://www.otsports.com/hockeygallery/2018/10/27/florida-everblades-nickelodeon-night

My favorite ones so far and the story behind them...
https://www.sportressofblogitude.co...eams-cartoonish-jerseys-are-a-seafaring-romp/

Last edited:
If Thor can wear a Bulldogs jumper then we can wear a Thor jumper!

images.jpeg.jpg
Never have I seen such unification of the "Westgate Whingers". :'(:'(

Save your melting, you will have many more opportunities over the life of this Stadium deal. Don't go all Frosty the snowman in one go.

I'm outraged that so many people are outraged...:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sold 100+ in 24 hours

Unlcuky for the haters
How 100 @ a profit of $70 at most per jumper is $7,000. Hardly making up the $1.3m shortfall and half is going to charity.

The only way this is economically viable or commercial is if Marvel are paying a substantial sum to wear it, which hopefully they are

How 100 @ a profit of $70 at most per jumper is $7,000. Hardly making up the $1.3m shortfall and half is going to charity.

The only way this is economically viable or commercial is if Marvel are paying a substantial sum to wear it, which hopefully they are

Hopefully we did, but the total by end of match day would be way higher if the trend continues.

It is money we would not have otherwise made from dog Jumpers

Besides this would not be the only idea they have. (Marvel or not)

Last edited:
How about the fans getting to vote on themes. I would def buy an Up Yours Oakley jumper.

View attachment 635142
Seriously, they could do a fan poll once a year and do a special jumper as per the most popular. Donate 10% to charity. Win win for hater haters and everyone :p.

Seriously, they could do a fan poll once a year and do a special jumper as per the most popular. Donate 10% to charity. Win win for hater haters and everyone :p.
Are the general public so cretinous that they can be convinced on a bad idea based on a small amount of the proceeds going to charity?
This money doesn’t come from nowhere. The money going to charity is coming straight out of Dogs fans pockets.
If people want to give to charity, they will. It doesn’t need to be wrapped up in an advertisement for a completely irrelevant movie.
There are far better, and more lucrative, ways the team can appeal to our wallets that don’t involve tarnishing the clubs reputation.

I hope this is not as dire as I fear it will be.

Why do we need "crowd interaction"? I just want to watch footy and when the they're not actually out there playing I want some peace and quiet to talk to whoever I'm at the footy with. I don't need "crowd interaction" thanks very much and I defintely don't want it.

This could be the straw that microwaved the membership card...
Hah! You are living in the distant past. It’s already happening and is one of the reasons I rarely go to games. Constant earbashing from loudspeakers every few metres around the ground, spewing ads and useless information, from some mysterious imperative to never allow more than a few seconds’ silence. Media sports commentary is the same. You are not given a moment’s peace, and sitting back during the breaks to have a chat is not an option.

Hah! You are living in the distant past. It’s already happening and is one of the reasons I rarely go to games. Constant earbashing from loudspeakers every few metres around the ground, spewing ads and useless information, from some mysterious imperative to never allow more than a few seconds’ silence. Media sports commentary is the same. You are not given a moment’s peace, and sitting back during the breaks to have a chat is not an option.
Nice 70s music tonight :)

Back