2016 - 1st
2015 - 8th*
2014 - 14th
2013 - 15th

One massive outlier here....
Well done on 2016, but it's papered over a lot of cracks

*Beveridge first year

Last edited:
Our doggy style or brand of football doesn't hold up in finals.

Goals came easily once all hope was lost and rolled the dice.

Western Bulldogs final positions
2020 - 7th/8th depending on the match that's about to start
2019 - 7th
2018 - 13th
2017 - 10th
2016 - 1st
2015 - 8th*
2014 - 14th
2013 - 15th

*Beveridge first year
Not all that surprising. 2015-2016 we had the perfect mix of veterans still capable of playing well (Murphy, Boyd, Morris, Picken etc) with young stars (Bont, Macrae, Stringer etc).

Most of our experience fell off very quickly shortly afterwards and we've been one of the youngest sides in the competition ever since.

If you look at our list profile, 2022-2025 should really be our prime. Top 8, in 3 out of 5 years with a Premiership isn't a concern

And in all of those seasons we’ve been in the bottom 3-4 teams for games played and age.

There’s a mixture of things to consider here. We’ve always carried two or three players that are unlikely to play in many other 22s. That doesn’t happen in the teams that finish in the top 4-6 consistently.

Circumstances have meant that Bevo has almost always had a young team. Older senior players have either:

1) Been in their last few years (M. Boyd, Morris, Murphy - crucially all defenders)
2) Careers have been cut short (C. Smith, Biggs, Picken)
3) They’ve either been free agents or have been moved on (Stringer, Dahlhaus)

The facts are, we’ve lost two extremely close elimination finals (tonight and 2015 against the crows, been spanked in one (GWS) and have won a flag in another. Four from six years we’ve made the 8 and have won a flag.

I’m still optimistic. Ask Melbourne, Essendon, Carlton, St Kilda, North, Gold Coast, Fremantle, Port Adelaide (excluding this year) fans if they’d rather have not only our list but our previous 6 years collectively and I think it stacks up.

I would like a mix up with our assistant coaches and I’d like us to move out the last of our passenger players for some more seniority in those positions. Clearly things need to change but I don’t think it’s been that bad.

Western Bulldogs final positions
2020 - 7th/8th depending on the match that's about to start
2019 - 7th
2018 - 13th
2017 - 10th
2016 - 1st
2015 - 8th*
2014 - 14th
2013 - 15th

*Beveridge first year
I mean they still technically finished 7th in 2016, but they had a crazy (and probably controversial) month to win it.

Every astute football fan realised 2016 was a farcical joke. As the years go on it’s almost impossible to deny it.

Well, not really. They finished 7th then beat West Coast (6th) away, Hawthorn (3rd), GWS (4th) away and Sydney (1st).

That’s what you have to do to win it if you finish 5-8... win and then basically beat three Top 4 sides in a row (mostly away from home). The odds of that happening are very low and it’s very rare (it’s the only time it’s happened to date), but it’s not impossible. They just had one of the best-timed runs of form in footy history. But they still won it. That’s finals footy, the best team on the day wins it.

WB had an unbelievably good month of football in 2016. But that’s it. This is the real Western Bulldogs under Beveridge.

Since that flag they’ve missed finals twice and just (literally just) sneaked into finals twice, only to be knocked out instantly. Last 10 minutes and scoreboard is flattering, Saints completely controlled the game and it was over before half time. That coaching performance by Beveridge was actually one of the worst coaching performances in a final I’ve seen in a long time, but he’s won a premiership, so the media won’t say anything bad about him.

They’re a cute fringe finals team who have been the most overrated team in the comp for the last few seasons.

They’ve played a brilliant month.......haven’t really done much else since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will the Bulldogs regret giving big contracts to Keath and Bruce? Did no better this year than last with those two in the team. Without them perhaps they'd have more cap space to play with and would be able to go after someone like Ben Brown or Jeremy Cameron.

Will the Bulldogs regret giving big contracts to Keath and Bruce? Did no better this year than last with those two in the team. Without them perhaps they'd have more cap space to play with and would be able to go after someone like Ben Brown or Jeremy Cameron.
Keath absolutely no regrets at all. We'd be screwed without him and he's had a great year

I just went through the entire history of AFL results and you're spot on. No team in history has ever comeback from a 7 point deficit at half-time. We should've been on the plane already

Cute. Helps when you watch the game.

If you love stats though, did you notice how many contested marks the Saints took? How many scores from defensive 50? The tackle numbers at half time? The impact, of lack of your forwards and rebounding defenders were having? Notice how English was getting smashed? It was game over, Beveridge coached a very, very bad game. Ratten out-coached him in every single way yesterday.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Keath absolutely no regrets at all. We'd be screwed without him and he's had a great year

Fair enough, but what about Bruce? Not sure he is the answer to your side's lack of quality key forwards. If Schache can shrug off his injuries then I think he takes Bruce's place in the team.

Fair enough, but what about Bruce? Not sure he is the answer to your side's lack of quality key forwards. If Schache can shrug off his injuries then I think he takes Bruce's place in the team.
Bruce definitely looks like a poor decision right now, no doubt about that. Unfortunately Schache seems highly unlikely to make it for us so we're somewhat stuck with hoping that Bruce losing a few kgs and finds some form next year.

Ugle-Hagan long-term should be a good partner for Naughton. Bruce's contract just makes it difficult for us to get another experienced tall to help him out in the meantime

Our match committee and team selection is like an episode of wheel of fortune or Forrest Gump's box of chocolates you never know what you get next. Too many eggs placed in the one basket, the basket of Bontempelli and the "Catch it or your Ratsh1t" forward craft of Aaron Naughton.

I enjoy the fact that Hawthorn, Sydney, Giants and North (lol) supporters are still upset over our 2016 win as shown by this thread. Let the salt flow for more years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back