Analysis Western Bulldogs year by year

Remove this Banner Ad

Contact is allowed in a marking contest if is incidental AND if the player is legitimately attempting to mark or spoil. Wilkie was obviously trying to spoil, but the contact across the shoulder was clearly more than incidental and is therefore a free kick.

Players can spoil from behind, but they can't make high contact whilst doing so (unless incidental). It's not hard to understand. This is not some new rule that's suddenly been introduced either.

Is there an argument that Wallis infringed himself? Maybe, at a stretch. But it came after the first infringement.

The silly thing is that a player can run, jump and knee a player in the back of the head spoiling its play on.

But brush past the shoulder with a hand or arm its a free?:oops::huh:

That is quite difficult to explain to a non AFL follower watching the game for the first time. Hell, its hard to work out for veteran footy fans.

I really rate him, and always wondered how long it would be before someone tries to poach him, especially since McGovern signed his mega deal. They seem too similar. Only problem for us is that Keath is basically an intercepting back who has been forced to change his style to more of a full back rather than an interceptor. Bringing in Barrass wouldn't help that, but I do like the thought of having him in the mix as it gives us another good quality KPD which we're seriously short on.

How gettable do you think he'd be, and what would the Eagles want for him? In terms of players, I'd imagine the tradeable guys with some value are Dale, Schache, then possibly Lipinski, although not sure the Eagles would be interested in the first two, and I doubt we'd trade Lipinski even if I want us to. More likely picks imo

That's the issue. Not sure if he would be open to a move East. He is one of the players with currency who the Eagles could cover.

Eagles would want the Dogs 1st pick, pick 12, that will slide to 15ish. Garcia would also interest the Eagles as steak knives or a player swap if another one of our fringe players was interested in moving back.

As you know the Dogs need points as well to pay for Ugle-Hagan.

Last edited:
That's the issue. Not sure if he would be open to a move East.

Eagles would want the Dogs 1st pick, pick 12, that will slide to 15ish. Garcia would also interest the Eagles as steak knives or a player swap if another one of our fringe players was interested in moving back.

As you know the Dogs need points as well to pay for Ugle-Hagan.
Garcia is seriously highly rated at the club. Trengove named him as the developing player (i.e. not currently best 22) most likely to be a star. We even traded up in the draft to get him, so I'd imagine he's fully off limits unless you overpaid, which would be crazy considering he hasn't even played yet.

I wouldn't be unhappy with paying our 1st for Barrass, but would hope we could secure something else back, like your 49 or 52.

Garcia is seriously highly rated at the club. Trengove named him as the developing player (i.e. not currently best 22) most likely to be a star. We even traded up in the draft to get him, so I'd imagine he's fully off limits unless you overpaid, which would be crazy considering he hasn't even played yet.

I wouldn't be unhappy with paying our 1st for Barrass, but would hope we could secure something else back, like your 49 or 52.

Bloody hell shhhhhhh.

Trying to keep how good Garcia is quiet. ;) :thumbsu:

I think all they need to do is generate an extra 3 or 4 more of these goals from frees per game and they are going to be a very dangerous side.

wallis2-gif.977675

wallis1-gif.977674

Train hard over the summer, develop a few more groundbreaking filthy cheating tactics and another flag is around the corner for this mob.

:thumbsu:
What an idiot 😂 shows what you know, as the 2nd one he was basicly neck raped

Next year I feel should be our top 4 year. Baz and Naughty should improve. See what we can get out of JUH. Our list are finally maturing and aren't as 'young' anymore. If we can recruit 1 or 2 good players and keep what we have should be ok.

Hopefully we can get a bit more out of Bruce.

Top 4 or bust for us. Have shown we don't like an elimination final. We need the 2nd chance.
if it's a 17 game season next year, I can see the dogs get 3rd or 4th spot.
I'm not sure we have the list to be a top 4 side. Too many deficiencies. Great midfield but not strong in any other area of the field.
west coast won the 2006 flag with a great midfield, a very good defence and an average forward line. Quentin Lynch some how kicked 65 goals from 25 games in 2006. Embley and Judd kicked 30 goals each from the midfield.

I can see the dogs do the same thing. Can Bruce kick 40-50 goals from 20 games? Probably. Do the dogs have 2 mids capable of kicking 25-30 goals each? Possibly

Nice deflection, how do you feel about Wallis's clear tactics of grappling defenders arms and receiving free kicks and shots on goal?

Yes I am a saints supporter who nearly saw my team lose a final to a team using blatant cheating tactics.

I don't care who the dogs are playing, that schtick from Wallis is disgraceful and it needs addressing.
If the arm didn’t come over the shoulder (illegally) it wouldn’t have been able to be hung onto. Canny by Wallis to emphasise it.

Western Bulldogs final positions
2020 - 7th/8th depending on the match that's about to start
2019 - 7th
2018 - 13th
2017 - 10th
2016 - 1st
2015 - 8th*
2014 - 14th
2013 - 15th

One massive outlier here....
Well done on 2016, but it's papered over a lot of cracks

*Beveridge first year

Ask any Dogs supporter if they'd take that.

Doesn't help when 12/22 premiership players are no longer at the club. We didn't get the chance like Richmond to continue competing. I criticise my club a lot for valid reasons, but to be honest we have done well to essentially rebuild yet remain competitive.

Revisit this next year.

How is this for a stat If Tigers win next flag in 2020 two clubs Tigers and Hawks have won 6 flags between then in 10 years I am glad a struggling Victorian club won it in 2016 might be a while before any other struggling clubs get a chance to win a flag

Western Bulldogs final positions
2020 - 7th/8th depending on the match that's about to start
2019 - 7th
2018 - 13th
2017 - 10th
2016 - 1st
2015 - 8th*
2014 - 14th
2013 - 15th

One massive outlier here....
Well done on 2016, but it's papered over a lot of cracks

*Beveridge first year

Compare those figures to the first decade I was a member and they are a beautiful set. The Dogs were lucky to win a coin toss in the early 80s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back