Analysis Western Bulldogs year by year

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda won the free kick count in the 1966 GF. Therefore they are cheats.

Oh you are a Saints supporter. That explains it.
Nice deflection, how do you feel about Wallis's clear tactics of grappling defenders arms and receiving free kicks and shots on goal?

Yes I am a saints supporter who nearly saw my team lose a final to a team using blatant cheating tactics.

I don't care who the dogs are playing, that schtick from Wallis is disgraceful and it needs addressing.

Nice deflection, how do you feel about Wallis's clear tactics of grappling defenders arms and receiving free kicks and shots on goal?

Yes I am a saints supporter who nearly saw my team lose a final to a team using blatant cheating tactics.

I don't care who the dogs are playing, that schtick from Wallis is disgraceful and it needs addressing.
A Saints supporter saying I'm deflecting, there is a certain irony in that. Hypocritical as well when your best forward got the most BS free in 2009 but you don't see me bringing it up at every turn do you. Enjoy your singular flag.

It's the first time I've seen Wallis pull out that manouver. Adds another string to his bow. Great forward craft in my opinion.

Next year I feel should be our top 4 year. Baz and Naughty should improve. See what we can get out of JUH. Our list are finally maturing and aren't as 'young' anymore. If we can recruit 1 or 2 good players and keep what we have should be ok.

Hopefully we can get a bit more out of Bruce.

Top 4 or bust for us. Have shown we don't like an elimination final. We need the 2nd chance.

Next year I feel should be our top 4 year. Baz and Naughty should improve. See what we can get out of JUH. Our list are finally maturing and aren't as 'young' anymore. If we can recruit 1 or 2 good players and keep what we have should be ok.

Top 4 or bust for us. Have shown we don't like an elimination final. We need the 2nd chance.

I'm not sure we have the list to be a top 4 side. Too many deficiencies. Great midfield but not strong in any other area of the field.

I think all they need to do is generate an extra 3 or 4 more of these goals from frees per game and they are going to be a very dangerous side.

wallis2-gif.977675

wallis1-gif.977674

Train hard over the summer, develop a few more groundbreaking filthy cheating tactics and another flag is around the corner for this mob.

:thumbsu:
Bit hard to tell with the angle of the first one, but in the second he's clearly grabbing an arm that's already over his shoulder. That's against the rules as a defender, right?

Bit hard to tell with the angle of the first one, but in the second he's clearly grabbing an arm that's already over his shoulder. That's against the rules as a defender, right?
He's creating the contact. You're allowed to reach over the shoulder.

MARKING CONTESTS 17.5.1 Spirit and Intention The Player whose sole objective is to contest or spoil a Mark shall be permitted to do so.

If anything it's a free against Wallis.

17.5.2 Free Kicks - Marking Contests A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Marking contest against a Player where the Player:
(d) deliberately interferes with the arms of an opposition Player;

Surely grabbing an arm and dragging it down qualifies.

He's creating the contact. You're allowed to reach over the shoulder.

MARKING CONTESTS 17.5.1 Spirit and Intention The Player whose sole objective is to contest or spoil a Mark shall be permitted to do so.

If anything it's a free against Wallis.

17.5.2 Free Kicks - Marking Contests A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Marking contest against a Player where the Player:
(d) deliberately interferes with the arms of an opposition Player;

Surely grabbing an arm and dragging it down qualifies.
Yeah, nah. That's prohibited contact from the Saints defender every day of the week. You can't drop your arm across someone's shoulder/neck in a marking contest, that's more than incidental contact.

Yeah, nah. That's prohibited contact from the Saints defender every day of the week. You can't drop your arm across someone's shoulder/neck in a marking contest, that's more than incidental contact.
Watch it again, the arm gets "dropped" because Wallis grabs it. Umpires wake up to this and that's going to be a very hard rep to shake.

If the game got umpired the way you suggested it'd be impossible for a defender to ever spoil again.

Reported Dogs chasing an KP intercept marking defender.

They should look at the Eagles Barrass. Eagles have Gov and Barrass and they are too similar. Both are big marking intercept KP backs, Eagles need to play a lock down tall not two intercept marking talls. Both play better when the other is out and the backline becomes better balanced.

Still young and a premiership defender. Add him with the NGA kid Ugle-Hagen up forward and the Dogs look set.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch it again, the arm gets "dropped" because Wallis grabs it. Umpires wake up to this and that's going to be a very hard rep to shake.

If the game got umpired the way you suggested it'd be impossible for a defender to ever spoil again.
Turn it up. Wallis doesn't reach behind to grab the defender's arm, it's already across the shoulder/his neck. They get paid every single week in the AFL, stop making an issue out of absolutely nothing.

Pre-Wallis grabbing his arm, clearly over the shoulder. Dumb argument.
1601864242214.png

Last edited:
Turn it up. Wallis doesn't reach behind to grab the defender's arm, it's already across the shoulder/his neck. They get paid every single week in the AFL, stop making an issue out of absolutely nothing.

Pre-Wallis grabbing his arm, clearly over the shoulder. Dumb argument.
View attachment 977908
So spoils from behind should be banned? Great way to kill the game. What your still leaves out is Wallis backing into him, again creating the contact. And read the rule: MARKING CONTESTS 17.5.1 Spirit and Intention The Player whose sole objective is to contest or spoil a Mark shall be permitted to do so.

The marking rules actually don't cover high contact, that's a part of general contact. There's a reason for that.

Why it was paid at the time made sense, but the umpires see that twice in the review and will hopefully watch out for it in the future.

So spoils from behind should be banned? Great way to kill the game. What your still leaves out is Wallis backing into him, again creating the contact. And read the rule: MARKING CONTESTS 17.5.1 Spirit and Intention The Player whose sole objective is to contest or spoil a Mark shall be permitted to do so.

The marking rules actually don't cover high contact, that's a part of general contact. There's a reason for that.

Why it was paid at the time made sense, but the umpires see that twice in the review and will hopefully watch out for it in the future.
Contact is allowed in a marking contest if is incidental AND if the player is legitimately attempting to mark or spoil. Wilkie was obviously trying to spoil, but the contact across the shoulder was clearly more than incidental and is therefore a free kick.

Players can spoil from behind, but they can't make high contact whilst doing so (unless incidental). It's not hard to understand. This is not some new rule that's suddenly been introduced either.

Is there an argument that Wallis infringed himself? Maybe, at a stretch. But it came after the first infringement.

Last edited:

Dogs have a top 4 midfield for sure but you guys need to find support for English.

The bulldogs will be fine, the list has a few holes to fill and their younger guys will mature. Tbh they are in a pretty good position considering their list age and profile

Cute. Helps when you watch the game.

If you love stats though, did you notice how many contested marks the Saints took? How many scores from defensive 50? The tackle numbers at half time? The impact, of lack of your forwards and rebounding defenders were having? Notice how English was getting smashed? It was game over, Beveridge coached a very, very bad game. Ratten out-coached him in every single way yesterday.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not saying the Saints didn't deserve the victory, but did everybody notice that St.Kilda had one of those 'bounce of the ball' type of days? It was staggering how often the Dogs applied excellent pressure and forced a rushed or smothered disposal, only for the ball to fortuitously land in a Saints players arms whether they were the intended target or not.

This happens a lot, but rarely does it happen in consecutive weeks. For that reason I worry about St.Kildas chances against the Tigers this week.

The problem with the Dogs I feel is they are a bit soft - Libba aside. It's good for their free kick differential but they need to play with a bit more mongrel, pun intended.
The flopping, staging and drawing free kicks has become a problem for them.

It's almost as if they're more focussed on flipping and drawing free kicks, than actually taking the mark, or winning the ball on its merits.

Whomever is driving this culture needs to stamp it out.

I'm not saying the Saints didn't deserve the victory, but did everybody notice that St.Kilda had one of those 'bounce of the ball' type of days? It was staggering how often the Dogs applied excellent pressure and forced a rushed or smothered disposal, only for the ball to fortuitously land in a Saints players arms whether they were the intended target or not.

This happens a lot, but rarely does it happen in consecutive weeks. For that reason I worry about St.Kildas chances against the Tigers this week.
Richmond will destroy them this week

Reported Dogs chasing an KP intercept marking defender.

They should look at the Eagles Barrass. Eagles have Gov and Barrass and they are too similar. Both are big marking intercept KP backs, Eagles need to play a lock down tall not two intercept marking talls. Both play better when the other is out and the backline becomes better balanced.

Still young and a premiership defender. Add him with the NGA kid up forward and the Dogs look set.
I really rate him, and always wondered how long it would be before someone tries to poach him, especially since McGovern signed his mega deal. They seem too similar. Only problem for us is that Keath is basically an intercepting back who has been forced to change his style to more of a full back rather than an interceptor. Bringing in Barrass wouldn't help that, but I do like the thought of having him in the mix as it gives us another good quality KPD which we're seriously short on.

How gettable do you think he'd be, and what would the Eagles want for him? In terms of players, I'd imagine the tradeable guys with some value are Dale, Schache, then possibly Lipinski, although not sure the Eagles would be interested in the first two, and I doubt we'd trade Lipinski even if I want us to. More likely picks imo

Cheating tactics. Don't worry you'll be burning dwarves this time next week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back