Game Day Western Derby - Freo Vs WC

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do. If you kick the ball 45metres plus to a one on one contest Champion Data refers to the kick as an effective disposal. Im destroying some of my own arguments in keeping him in the team (from the past) by saying that. I want a rebuild and Danyle to be depth player from now on.
Thanks for that, i can release myself for having a full blast on d.pearce now.

Was expecting what happened so wasn't that disappointed. The many issues we have all listed in the "what's wrong" thread aren't going to magically go away over the last few rounds (so no point listing the negatives). Loved our intensity in the first quarter but we ran out of legs before half time. Liked that Ross was trying out players in different positions. However we've been turning the ball over all year so I still get annoyed when we stop taking risks moving the ball forward. These lateral and backward passes have done nothing to solve our turn over rates, so why bother?

A few positives:
  • Thought Apeness did well in his first game back. 3 contested marks and 3 goal assists is brilliant for a 4th gamer. Saw that some idiots got stuck in to him on here but show me a KPP delivering that output in their first four games. Give him some time ffs!
  • Really like the attack of Yarran and you can just tell he is going to have lots of impact when he settles in. Reckon he would have kicked a couple more and possibly created another couple also if he was fully settled. 5 clangers is a few too many and 50% DE isn't great for a forward but at least he's taking the game on.
  • I still don't quite get the hate for Mundy in the past couple of games. He's made some mistakes but he was clearly BOG last week for us and I'd say up in the best few players again. Same goes for Neale, trying hard in difficult circumstances. We are a man down in the middle and maybe Blakely would make a difference but I'm not so sure he would. A Barlow/Fyfe/Bennell would certainly help more so imo.
  • Liked Hill's effort. He was everywhere at times and racked up 7 inside 50s which is a step in the right direction but only had 3 score involvements and had 8 clangers. I still feel like they are expecting him to do everything rather than focussing on him delivering the 2 or 3 things we really need him for perfectly (eg inside 50 delivery, outside run).
  • Sheridan looked so much more comfortable forward of centre. Liked patches of Tucker's game. Wish they would give Hughes and Crozier a licence to kick up field/have a run and take the game on. They may not be as classy as Hill yet but they never will be if they aren't given an opportunity to do so.
  • Spurr was good. Mayne was serviceable in defence. Silvagni was solid again. Collins had an impossible task the way the ball was coming in.
  • Great to see Sandi back out there. And to see all our (mostly injured) guys up in the stands.

Yep, Apeness and Pav were getting in each other's way on occasion, I don't see that being a problem next year because Tabs and Apeness are such different players.

With McCarthy next year hopefully I am very positive about of forwardline.
It's always going to happen when players from half back continue to bomb long and high to a pack. Those sort of kicks brings in the opposition's spare defender hence why Apeness crashed into Pav a few times trying to limit that.
If Ross is serious in fixing the pre-season training as well as skills then surely quick and low kicks will be the priority as well as just kicking to the leading option (so many times throughout the season that players just ignore the lead 20-25 m away and instead go to the 50m+ option, freaking frustrating).
Kennedy excels at just doing that, leads towards the player and gets rewarded for it. Tabs is similar, but the players ignore him for some reason. Enough is enough.

It's always going to happen when players from half back continue to bomb long and high to a pack. Those sort of kicks brings in the opposition's spare defender hence why Apeness crashed into Pav a few times trying to limit that.
If Ross is serious in fixing the pre-season training as well as skills then surely quick and low kicks will be the priority as well as just kicking to the leading option (so many times throughout the season that players just ignore the lead 20-25 m away and instead go to the 50m+ option, freaking frustrating).
Kennedy excels at just doing that, leads towards the player and gets rewarded for it. Tabs is similar, but the players ignore him for some reason. Enough is enough.

They won't ignore Tabs when Pav retires, confident it will be all good next year.

I still can't follow why we went in with such a restricted mid field. Neale spent a lot of time on the bench as well.. The only thing I can think of is finding out if Walters,Langdon,Weller,Tucker and Sheridan can cut it as mids.. Collins was also tested leaving him on Kennedy . Strange how we lined up today.

I still can't follow why we went in with such a restricted mid field. Neale spent a lot of time on the bench as well.. The only thing I can think of is finding out if Walters,Langdon,Weller,Tucker and Sheridan can cut it as mids.. Collins was also tested leaving him on Kennedy . Strange how we lined up today.
Yeah, it must be at that point of the year where we're testing small things here and there things. for example ross said weller was tried in the midfield on a run with role last week and got beaten, they tried sheridan this week and it seemed to work better. Tucker and langdon spent more time at stoppages. Mayne in the backline. I saw Apeness on Kennedy at one stage.

It was clear that it is all about next year. Doesn't make me feel all that great about what I paid for membership this year.

Just listened to the press conference. Ross said the team should have won more of the down the line contests in the second half, or at least halved the contest. I really can't tell if he thinks this is a good strategy - patently it's not - or he's just experimenting and playing out the season without giving a toss.
For example, it was remarkable how quickly the team went, in the second quarter, from taking the game on (albeit not always skilfully) to deadset stationary, hence the down the line bombs. Except in the forward line. I agree with Alistair Lynch's observation in the 3rd that the forwards were making short leads time and again but being ignored by the ball carrier. It's all so contrary to smart football it's doing my head in.

Yeah, doesn't sound like Ross is bothered by the hoofing it down the line tactic. Just that we didn't contest enough and make them 50/50.

Urgh.

Its easy to forget how good our elite players are, when they have been missing for so long. Sandi is just such a good player when he is fit, he is truly dominant. It really will be a different side next year if we can get Bennell, Johnson, Fyfe, Pearce, Barlow etc back. Not only that, they drag the other players up with them.

I do. If you kick the ball 40metres plus to a one on one contest Champion Data refers to the kick as an effective disposal. Im destroying some of my own arguments in keeping him in the team (from the past) by saying that. I want a rebuild and Danyle to be depth player from now on.
Good to see you're coming around. He was pretty much equally crap last year. You continually defend him because he finished top 10 in the Doig. Well he'll do that this year too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Couple of things:

Naitanui gets looked after like no other ruck in the blocking calls. Sandi can get chopped , blocked and ridden like a horse at Ascot for nothing, but you fart in Naitanui's direction and the maggots can't wait to blow the whistle.

Secondly Ross was quite dismissive of Sumich at the end of the presser.

Someone asked:

"What's Peter Sumich contribution been around the club?"

"Well, I've not given it. A lot of thought...he's still sort of working here...I'm sure when he leaves we can fully assess it."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of things:

Naitanui gets looked after like no other ruck in the blocking calls. Sandi can get chopped , blocked and ridden like a horse at Ascot for nothing, but you fart in Naitanui's direction and the maggots can't wait to blow the whistle.

Someone asked:

"Well, I've not given it. A lot of thought...he's still sort of working here...I'm sure when he leaves we can fully assess it."

yeah I just finished watching the presser, didn't like the tone Ross used, at least thank him for his many years of service or rattle off one or two positives about the man.

Couple of things:

Someone asked:

I'm still seriously at a loss with this blocking BS at bounces. As far as I'm concerned if you can get between the ball and your opponent and win the tap then that's the point isn't it?
It's like Sandilands is punished for being better.
Where as Nic Nat can jump into you and achieve the same thing but nothing.
There was one where Nic Nat jumped early and Sandilands just stood his ground and won the tap and they called it blocking because Nic Nat couldn't reach the ball. I just don't get it.

I'm still seriously at a loss with this blocking BS at bounces. As far as I'm concerned if you can get between the ball and your opponent and win the tap then that's the point isn't it?
It's like Sandilands is punished for being better.
Where as Nic Nat can jump into you and achieve the same thing but nothing.
There was one where Nic Nat jumped early and Sandilands just stood his ground and won the tap and they called it blocking because Nic Nat couldn't reach the ball. I just don't get it.
Because it would completely ruin ruck contests. Players would simply run past the ball, so their opponent couldnt tap it.

Because it would completely ruin ruck contests. Players would simply run past the ball, so their opponent couldnt tap it.

Yeah but that's not what I'm seeing. It's a bounce of the ball that favours Sandilands and he just holds his ground and Nic Nat gets the free because he can't run at it. I'm not seeing Sandilands running inside the line of the ball.

Yeah but that's not what I'm seeing. It's a bounce of the ball that favours Sandilands and he just holds his ground and Nic Nat gets the free because he can't run at it. I'm not seeing Sandilands running inside the line of the ball.

That's exactly right. The rule is to stop 'disadvantaged smaller players' simply pushing into the opposition ruck to deny a 'fair contest'. But in that one incident in particular, it was a bounce and the ball basically went over Sandi's head where he had already made ground. He just stood under it and tapped it, NicNat jumped and couldn't reach it and for some reason it was a free. FFS what is Sandi supposed to do!!! Run away from the ball while it's in the air and then run back in again.

It's the most inconsistent call in all of footy (and that's saying something because it has many) and it shits me no end and seems to disadvantage Sandi more than most because he has such a big frame who doesn't 'leap' like many rucks.

Was going to throw my 2c in, but I think it's been covered by many. wayToGo_ above covered most of what was on my mind.

I fully expected the way it went, but must say I was disappointed we couldn't play that better quality for longer. We really fell off a cliff, and not with a quarter to go or anything, it was early in the 2nd to my mind when you could see the wheels were starting to fall off - that was disappointing. Once we started losing the contested ball, it just went down hill, slowly at first, then it just turned into junk time by the 3rd.

WC are not going places though, that was confirmed for me. Come finals they'll be playing teams that can do what we did in the first quarter for the best part of a full game, they wont be able to hack it, I saw that much.

If it's the one I'm thinking off, Sandi holds his ground, Nic Nat pushes him, and gets the free.

If it's the one I'm thinking off, Sandi holds his ground, Nic Nat pushes him, and gets the free.

That's the one. Pushed him with a flying kick, but misses it with his tap and receives the free. I'd be interested in how many frees Sandi got. Had his head ripped off a few times by Lycett but from memory really got nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back