Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I know that I'm going to ruffle a few feathers over here in the West, but I have to make a comment about the Western Magpies radio program that is on Saturday mornings.

I listened to it this morning ....or parts of it. Some of it was painful to listen to. For those on the East coast, the program is a one hour panel type program involving about 4 supporters - one woman and a few guys.

The woman - Jackie Breasley - heads the panel. She is also sponsorship person for the Western Magpies. Like a lot of supporter groups, they run a pub supporters function on match days, as well as other stuff when the Pies come over to play.

Jackie has been doing the program for a long time. A long time. She is not what you might call a consummate media performer. In fact, she sounds a little bit like what a Collingwood supporter is supposed to sound like. The rest of the boys are like those worker drone bees, serving their queen. They laboriously read articles off the Collingwood website or make rather simple comments about how good certain Collingwood players are.

I would have liked to have said that I listened to the whole hour but I just couldnt stand it. I have listened to programs over the last few years and nothing has changed. It's the same old tired format with this woman making her own personal statements about the club - in some ways, she reminds me of a female Mick Malthouse. I'm sure the boys on the panel are in fear of her.

So what's the problem? Well I'd like to see Collingwood grow and be the biggest club in the world. In the short term, I'd like to see us the biggest club in WA outside of the beagles and the dogterds. I dont think the current radio program arrangement is working. It would have a massive disconnect with the younger brigade. I can hardly tolerate their lame statements about things in the past - I can only wonder what the younger brigade is thinking.

I have a hope that Eddie will read this and use it as a spur to take Jackie on and ease her aside and bring in some fresh blood. However, I'm not sure Eddie has the ticker.

I know that I'm going to ruffle a few feathers over here in the West, but I have to make a comment about the Western Magpies radio program that is on Saturday mornings.

I listened to it this morning ....or parts of it. Some of it was painful to listen to. For those on the East coast, the program is a one hour panel type program involving about 4 supporters - one woman and a few guys.

The woman - Jackie Breasley - heads the panel. She is also sponsorship person for the Western Magpies. Like a lot of supporter groups, they run a pub supporters function on match days, as well as other stuff when the Pies come over to play.

Jackie has been doing the program for a long time. A long time. She is not what you might call a consummate media performer. In fact, she sounds a little bit like what a Collingwood supporter is supposed to sound like. The rest of the boys are like those worker drone bees, serving their queen. They laboriously read articles off the Collingwood website or make rather simple comments about how good certain Collingwood players are.

I would have liked to have said that I listened to the whole hour but I just couldnt stand it. I have listened to programs over the last few years and nothing has changed. It's the same old tired format with this woman making her own personal statements about the club - in some ways, she reminds me of a female Mick Malthouse. I'm sure the boys on the panel are in fear of her.

So what's the problem? Well I'd like to see Collingwood grow and be the biggest club in the world. In the short term, I'd like to see us the biggest club in WA outside of the beagles and the dogterds. I dont think the current radio program arrangement is working. It would have a massive disconnect with the younger brigade. I can hardly tolerate their lame statements about things in the past - I can only wonder what the younger brigade is thinking.

I have a hope that Eddie will read this and use it as a spur to take Jackie on and ease her aside and bring in some fresh blood. However, I'm not sure Eddie has the ticker.

Hey Magpie Girl , Markfs has just put his hand up to go on the podcast! :D

So are they actually affiliated with the club?

Unlikely.

If it's anything like Sydney Collingwood supporters the club connection is minimal. There are pros and cons to that.

Independence means that folks can behave and think independently. Compare to the official cheersquad where there is a (approx) 20 point contract of do's and don'ts that members have to sign and abide by.

Just imagine it "Sorry, jmac70 , but BigFooty is a dry area, you can't bring your beer in here!" :eek: :D

The club do list the support groups on their website here ...

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/club/supporter-groups

Unlikely.

If it's anything like Sydney Collingwood supporters the club connection is minimal. There are pros and cons to that.

Independence means that folks can behave and think independently. Compare to the official cheersquad where there is a (approx) 20 point contract of do's and don'ts that members have to sign and abide by.

Just imagine it "Sorry, jmac70 , but BigFooty is a dry area, you can't bring your beer in here!" :eek: :D

Is that why that no is in the Cheersquad?

Easiest solution:

Start a new radio show/podcast, grow it quite large and take over as numero uno.. Force them into retirement due to lack of listeners.

As a project management student, I'd be happy to correspond digitally and work with anyone to help get the start-up done.

Easiest solution:

Start a new radio show/podcast, grow it quite large and take over as numero uno.. Force them into retirement due to lack of listeners.

As a project management student, I'd be happy to correspond digitally and work with anyone to help get the start-up done.

I thought the BigFooty Podcast was Bigger

Unlikely.

well i didnt realise the level of independence.... i suppose the club just has to wait it out until new people come along. From the sound of Jackie's voice, she sounds like someone who will still be going at 102 ...so I cant wait for the next half century.

well i didnt realise the level of independence.... i suppose the club just has to wait it out until new people come along. From the sound of Jackie's voice, she sounds like someone who will still be going at 102 ...so I cant wait for the next half century.

You don’t have to Listen to it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back