Western Region FL - Divy 1 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone think of the inter league squad? With all respect to the blokes selected the team could be a hell of a lot better. It's a shame the best players in the Comp don't put their hands up to play. No deer park players? I think the league might have to pay players to play to draw the best of the best. Or do they pay?

WRFL definitely don't pay. I think you'll find quite a few of the other metro leagues pay around $500 per player.

What does everyone think of the inter league squad? With all respect to the blokes selected the team could be a hell of a lot better. It's a shame the best players in the Comp don't put their hands up to play. No deer park players? I think the league might have to pay players to play to draw the best of the best. Or do they pay?
Exactly why the mercenaries have not put hands up no pay no play,unfortunately everyone's mentality is to offer up cash to play that's exactly why the league finds itself in this situation

What's your solution then? Full credit to those players for wanting to play and represent the league i say
Jerry, for a start the league can appoint a coach that isn't a current coach of a team. Who would really want to play for an opposition coach? Also his focus understandably is going to be on his team, and not the rep team and chasing up players with inflated opinions of their ability. Until they get serious about this, the league's reputation will continue to suffer. Credit to the guys that fronted, but they just weren't up to it.

Last edited:
Jerry, for a start the league can appoint a coach that isn't a current coach of a team. Who would really want to play for an opposition coach? Also his focus understandably is going to be on his team, and not the rep team and chasing up players with inflated opinions of their ability. Until they get serious about this, the league's reputation will continue to suffer. Credit to the guys that fronted, but they just weren't up to it.
Spot on . Appears the league needs some experienced football people at board and management level to help drive this . The leagues reputation is currently in tatters .If no one cares don't participate.

Exactly why the mercenaries have not put hands up no pay no play,unfortunately everyone's mentality is to offer up cash to play that's exactly why the league finds itself in this situation

Pretty sure they charge $10 entry fee and if they have a couple of sponsors and promote the games I think the profits should go back to the players. If each player got between $300-500 then I think that's fair enough. Why would an experienced player play for nothing, when he could be enjoying the week off especially if they have a young family. I understand maybe a few younger players would be there for the exposure and it's a tick on their resume, but you do need a mix of experience with some youth.
Yes even $500 is small coin compared to what some players are getting but $500 is better than earning nothing over the weekend.

I also agree the coach should be a neutral coach however wasn't Eames appointed (or reappointed) prior to him getting the Spotty job..

Pretty sure they charge $10 entry fee and if they have a couple of sponsors and promote the games I think the profits should go back to the players. If each player got between $300-500 then I think that's fair enough. Why would an experienced player play for nothing, when he could be enjoying the week off especially if they have a young family. I understand maybe a few younger players would be there for the exposure and it's a tick on their resume, but you do need a mix of experience with some youth.
Yes even $500 is small coin compared to what some players are getting but $500 is better than earning nothing over the weekend.

I also agree the coach should be a neutral coach however wasn't Eames appointed (or reappointed) prior to him getting the Spotty job..
there was no-one there watching the game, especially from the wrfl side. Listened to the preview, NFL had full team of 24, WRFL could only get 22 including c okeefe (asst coach) and runner played. Thought Brett Jacobs might have had to put the boots on also to help.the NFL team were huge and massively outskilled WRFL but they kept trying, will serious injuries also to couple

there was no-one there watching the game, especially from the wrfl side. Listened to the preview, NFL had full team of 24, WRFL could only get 22 including c okeefe (asst coach) and runner played. Thought Brett Jacobs might have had to put the boots on also to help.the NFL team were huge and massively outskilled WRFL but they kept trying, will serious injuries also to couple
Who got injured?

Lucas nth Footscray broken jaw and young tall Backman, maybe spotty ????? did his shoulder early (not sure).
Lucas Hall jaw, Tim Quick shoulder.

WRFL were quality in the first quarter, matched the NFL for a little while and showed plenty of ability, the score at quarter time reflected that.
For the rest of the game though the NFL were in top gear, WRFL's energy faded during the NFL's second quarter charge and faded futher as the margin blew out after quarter time.
The NFL increased their dominance as the game wore on and the final score reflected that.

Lucas Hall jaw, Tim Quick shoulder.

WRFL were quality in the first quarter, matched the NFL for a little while and showed plenty of ability, the score at quarter time reflected that.
For the rest of the game though the NFL were in top gear, WRFL's energy faded during the NFL's second quarter charge and faded futher as the margin blew out after quarter time.
The NFL increased their dominance as the game wore on and the final score reflected that.

Unfortunately for the wrfl, the NFL is a much better standard league. Probably 15goals better. Not sure any wrfl club would win many games in the NFL..

Unfortunately for the wrfl, the NFL is a much better standard league. Probably 15goals better. Not sure any wrfl club would win many games in the NFL..
15 goals ??? Absolute Rubbish Turbo !!! Interleague result was a reflection on the commitment of the competition not the standard . Even the strength of your beloved EDFL isn't as strong as you think . Have seen that first hand recently.

15 goals ??? Absolute Rubbish Turbo !!! Interleague result was a reflection on the commitment of the competition not the standard . Even the strength of your beloved EDFL isn't as strong as you think . Have seen that first hand recently.

Cmon Bully, maybe 15goals is a bit over the top, but sorry mate WRFL is not anywhere near the NFL, EDFL & EFL. Yes I agree these rep games is not a true indication of league v league however it's a big gap. Yes the Deer Park side of recent years was very strong but overall over say the last 5 years the wrfl has dropped away. Then your 2nd tier comp is an abosulte samples not to mention div3.

I know you have a soft spot for EDFL club Avondale Heights. Now they are struggling somewhat this season but that list would surely beat most wrfl clubs. Thoughts??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

15 goals? I think that's a bit over the top. The WRFL played the EFL 2 years ago at Visy Park and were far from disgraced, beaten by about 5-6 goals. I agree the standard in the WRFL drops off a bit after the top 5 or so teams but if you put the WRFL's best up against any other metro league, I think they would more than hold their own. Given the side that was put out last week against the NFL, I wouldn't take too much out of it.

Cmon Bully, maybe 15goals is a bit over the top, but sorry mate WRFL is not anywhere near the NFL, EDFL & EFL. Yes I agree these rep games is not a true indication of league v league however it's a big gap. Yes the Deer Park side of recent years was very strong but overall over say the last 5 years the wrfl has dropped away. Then your 2nd tier comp is an abosulte samples not to mention div3.

I know you have a soft spot for EDFL club Avondale Heights. Now they are struggling somewhat this season but that list would surely beat most wrfl clubs. Thoughts??
Soft spot ? Not likely !!! Don't get carried away with so called "name players" . Most of them are there for the wrong reasons and when push comes to shove go missing. It seems the boys from Canning street are in turmoil again . Instead of sacking coaches the internal decision makers should move aside . From what I saw last Saturday the EFL are getting better value for money than many in the EDFL.

Tips this week

Caroline springs to beat Altona by 5. Maybe just the new coach for the springers and the players wanting to play for them.

Deer park by 45 over hoppers. Just sitting in first gear.

Spotty to smash St. Albans by 80 points spotty the biggest challenge to deer park Eames is alistair Clarkson like.

Werribee will beat sunshine by 4 goals. Too much talent in that team for them to lose but haven't seen sunshine play live. So will be interesting to see if they can keep up the good form.

Albion by 55 points over the falcons. But who really cares about that game.

Some massive games this week in div 1!

Tips this week

Caroline springs to beat Altona by 5. Maybe just the new coach for the springers and the players wanting to play for them.

Spotty to smash St. Albans by 80 points spotty the biggest challenge to deer park Eames is alistair Clarkson like.

Werribee will beat sunshine by 4 goals. Too much talent in that team for them to lose but haven't seen sunshine play live. So will be interesting to see if they can keep up the good form.

Tips this week

Of course Caroline Springs will beat Altona , they've been sensational so far . If we could somehow tee it up I'd like to have a small wager on that not happening.

Not sure about AH beating most Div 1 sides. Rose is best fwd in league, Cravino is well respected, Odwyer is a solid defender, and Cam Wood obviously is quality, but it drops off a fair way from there. I reckon most of the top 4 Div 1 sides would put them to the sword. Just my humble opinion though.

I see that Rusell Douglas, the much decorated Sunshine player has been cleared to the Geelong & District League. What can you tell me about him, just how old is he and what standard of footy is he still capapble of playing? I believe he won the WRFL league B & F about 10 years ago and in 2014 finished 5th and has won multiple Sunshine B&F's but the last 2 years has been up the bush. Is he past it or still up to playing some decent footy?

Of course Caroline Springs will beat Altona , they've been sensational so far . If we could somehow tee it up I'd like to have a small wager on that not happening.
What has happened to the wrfl?

Has it got to the stage that no-one cares about the competition any more. ignore turbo, he knows all about every one everywhere.

Is this the longer term effect of the deer park blowing the competition away over the last 4 years.

This year the div 1 is great, isn't this what wee all want. everyone competitive nearly against everyone. why no interest?

What has happened to the wrfl?

Has it got to the stage that no-one cares about the competition any more. ignore turbo, he knows all about every one everywhere.

Is this the longer term effect of the deer park blowing the competition away over the last 4 years.

This year the div 1 is great, isn't this what wee all want. everyone competitive nearly against everyone. why no interest?

Yes, "money bags" and his egotistical mates has ruined the competition.

Yes, "money bags" and his egotistical mates has ruined the competition.
"Ruined" is a strong word. Temporarily imposing some inevitably on the premiers definitely yes. If it makes DP a stronger and better club long term then good. Plenty of clubs who can now compete as the $ at DP reduce. Up to DP to maintain a strong presence now as it does reduce. Will be interesting.

Altona rumours of a player only meeting about the Coach a couple weeks back after the Albion loss? Any truth to this rumour going around ?

Deer Park should get a big % booster this week !!
Hoppers to test Albion on the big ground
St Albans in a firey encounter with Wyndhamvale
Altona to start their charge at finals
Werribee at home to upset Spotty coming off their first loss

The last 2 games should be crackers!!

Altona rumours of a player only meeting about the Coach a couple weeks back after the Albion loss? Any truth to this rumour going around ?
If a couple of disgruntled reserves players who are unhappy about not being included in the senior training squad of 28 to 30 getting together to vent about this qualifies as a player only meeting then yes this is correct. The self entitled attitude of some is out of control. The chief runs the show not the Indians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back