Status
Not open for further replies.

Footynutt

Senior List
Nov 26, 2018
Caroline Springs
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting to see there isn’t a DIV 1 club that’s gone crazy with the recruiting this year especially the finals teams from last year with hoppers mostly getting lower league players Altona bringing back former players and spotty loosing a few shaping up to be an interesting year
With the change from u19 to 18.5. Altona, Werribee and Hoppers have had an influx of these u19 players. Why go mad on recruiting when you have kids coming through.
Only three Div 1 clubs that had u19 teams and trying to do the right thing and blood home grown talent and should be applauded for doing this rather than buying players. You can add a fourth with Point Cook this year in Div 1. Sure PCFC will not win many games but least they are trying to build with juniors.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Truth Be Said

Senior List
Jul 3, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
There are a lot of people on this site who really should do their homework before making comments. Outbackhack isn't the only one on here to have made comments regarding Deer Park's junior program and future planning. 10 min of looking through the wrfl website I found that the last time Deer Park had U/19's was in 2016. 7 of these U/19's from 2016 played senior football for Deer Park in 2018 which I must admit surprised me. But what surprised me even more was Altona who have a strong junior program had only 2 U/19's since 2016 play seniors in 2018. Hoppers Crossing had 6 U/19's since 2016 play seniors in 2018. It just goes to show that most of us focus on what we perceive as being unfair and are very quick to slander a club or individuals without looking into the facts. I'll admit I've been known to make comments not on this site but to mates without knowing facts so this has taught me a little lesson. Going by the facts Deer Park have been planning better than all the other clubs in Div1 if talking about juniors playing senior football.

With the change from u19 to 18.5. Altona, Werribee and Hoppers have had an influx of these u19 players. Why go mad on recruiting when you have kids coming through.
Only three Div 1 clubs that had u19 teams and trying to do the right thing and blood home grown talent and should be applauded for doing this rather than buying players. You can add a fourth with Point Cook this year in Div 1. Sure PCFC will not win many games but least they are trying to build with juniors.

Footynutt, you might want to hold your applause and check the facts. Your comments actually highlight the fact these clubs aren't doing the right thing by looking at blooding their junior talent and questions should be asked of their football department. PCFC have the luxury of being one of Victoria's biggest growth areas where kids are playing AFL so they should be focusing on building from their juniors.

Last edited:

trucka

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Footynutt, you might want to hold your applause and check the facts. Your comments actually highlight the fact these clubs aren't doing the right thing by looking at blooding their junior talent and questions should be asked of their football department. PCFC have the luxury of being one of Victoria's biggest growth areas where kids are playing AFL so they should be focusing on building from their juniors.

Can I ask, when you say 'played' Seniors, are you talking Seniors only or Seniors and Reserves? It can take longer than 2 years for an U19 player to become a Senior footballer, particualr in good teams. By the way, as you confirmed after you post last time, their were only 3 players that came from their DP Junior ranks, the other 4 were 1st year U19 players from other clubs

Footynutt

Senior List
Nov 26, 2018
Caroline Springs
AFL Club
Melbourne
Have a look at Altona. End of last year they had over 70 players eligible for senior football. Have a look at Altonas reserve side that won last years flag, most from there u19 over past few years. Altona should have made the GF last year but played prelim in terrible conditions.
You trying to tell me that Altona are not looking after homegrown talent because they are not playing seniors. Nothing wrong with developing the kids through reserves for a few years.
Hoppers similar position but not as many numbers. Rolled through u19 players through seniors and lots in the reserves.

These two clubs even though havent won a flag in past six years a certainly more sucessfull than other clubs as they are not paying players in brown papers bags.

Zywiec

Rookie
Apr 8, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

Champ there are only so many juniors you can blood into a team each season. If local players are playing good senior footy why drop them just to get an under 19 player in?
If you look at the last two games of 2018:
Altona around 15 "home grown"
Hoppers around 15 "home grown"
DP?...…...would be lucky to have 5
Blooding juniors takes time and a good development program to see them play senior footy. Lets see how many of these 19s play seniors in next couple years at Altona and Hoppers compared to what DP bloods

Footynutt

Senior List
Nov 26, 2018
Caroline Springs
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can I ask, when you say 'played' Seniors, are you talking Seniors only or Seniors and Reserves? It can take longer than 2 years for an U19 player to become a Senior footballer, particualr in good teams. By the way, as you confirmed after you post last time, their were only 3 players that came from their DP Junior ranks, the other 4 were 1st year U19 players from other clubs
Last season Altona had 5/6 under 19 play 19s and reserves. Hoppers had 8/9 play both with 3 u19 players play a number of senior games. Werribbe would also have similar numbers. So yeah.. think they are doing well blooding their young boys.
How many u19 boys from last season did DP, St Albans, Albion, WV and Sunshine blood?

Time to relax

Team Captain
May 8, 2009
Sunshine
AFL Club
Carlton
Sunshine had a few play reserves all year & seen a few come through our juniors to play Seniors. Unfortunately two done knees & required reco's.

We are not where we would like to be, but still get a few come through the system & as mentioned will have Under 18.5's in 2019.

You do have to applaud Altona, Hoppers & co for having good kids coming through.....

Truth Be Said

Senior List
Jul 3, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I completely understand what you guys are saying and agree with parts and disagree on others but thats football. The argument regarding how well Hoppers, Altona & Werribee blood their juniors through the seniors and reserves compared to the other clubs is an unbalanced one due to the fact 4 out of the 5 clubs mentioned are all within approximately 5km of each other in areas not populated with young families playing AFL. Werribee, Hoppers, Pt Cook and Altona have a huge advantage over the other clubs when it comes to juniors so I find it a bit rich to have a crack at other clubs who don't have the luxury that others do regarding juniors. From what I'm hearing out of some Div 1 clubs we might see a few forfeits in the reserve grade this season. It will also be interesting to see which clubs field an U/18's side this season. Anyone have any info on the U/18's comp this year in regard to which clubs look like fielding a team?

David G

Club Legend
May 8, 2017
Palm cove
AFL Club
Collingwood
I completely understand what you guys are saying and agree with parts and disagree on others but thats football. The argument regarding how well Hoppers, Altona & Werribee blood their juniors through the seniors and reserves compared to the other clubs is an unbalanced one due to the fact 4 out of the 5 clubs mentioned are all within approximately 5km of each other in areas not populated with young families playing AFL. Werribee, Hoppers, Pt Cook and Altona have a huge advantage over the other clubs when it comes to juniors so I find it a bit rich to have a crack at other clubs who don't have the luxury that others do regarding juniors. From what I'm hearing out of some Div 1 clubs we might see a few forfeits in the reserve grade this season. It will also be interesting to see which clubs field an U/18's side this season. Anyone have any info on the U/18's comp this year in regard to which clubs look like fielding a team?
If there where under16 s no under 17s you would field more under 18s or 18.5

Footynutt

Senior List
Nov 26, 2018
Caroline Springs
AFL Club
Melbourne
Werribee and Hoppers have the same issue.
WD, Hoppers and PCFC have another 7 clubs they have to compete with in the same area of Wyndham council, probably more that any other club. Plus there is an 8th club starting up.
I would be suprised if all three cannot get 2 u18.5 teams up this year.

Wickers18

Team Captain
Nov 23, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Werribee and Hoppers have the same issue.
WD, Hoppers and PCFC have another 7 clubs they have to compete with in the same area of Wyndham council, probably more that any other club. Plus there is an 8th club starting up.
I would be suprised if all three cannot get 2 u18.5 teams up this year.

PCFC is a massive club for come reason WCC/AFL Vic and WRFL have left them to have this massive catchment whilst introducing 4 clubs on the other side of the freeway. Even with Point Cook Centrals they area has been blessed by the lack of clubs in the area. I reckon PCFC will field 2 x U18 sides in 2020 or 2021.

The only real competition for Juniors in Wyndham on the other side of the freeway is Werribee Centrals. Tarneit aren't really close to fielding sides above U14 level. Wyndham Suns stuffed their junior program up and are building from scratch, Wyndhamvale seem to be going backwards and Manor Lakes can't keep sides once the get over U12s

My understanding is Werribee Centrals are looking at fielding an U18s side in the WRFL and U19 side in the GDFL

TheBoss78

Senior List
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Last season Altona had 5/6 under 19 play 19s and reserves. Hoppers had 8/9 play both with 3 u19 players play a number of senior games. Werribbe would also have similar numbers. So yeah.. think they are doing well blooding their young boys.
How many u19 boys from last season did DP, St Albans, Albion, WV and Sunshine blood?

It’s interesting now though as from what I’ve heard Altona have lost most of their 19s from two years ago and looks like they Only have Taylor Paton and Fox back. Hoppers have more of their 19s from 3 years ago however had Guy and Tiracola play last season and Werribee seem to have lost a few as well. I’ve seen a vast number of these players go down to the lower divisions and am wondering if it’s either they can’t cope with the competition or are being starved of opportunity.

Footynutt

Senior List
Nov 26, 2018
Caroline Springs
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s interesting now though as from what I’ve heard Altona have lost most of their 19s from two years ago and looks like they Only have Taylor Paton and Fox back. Hoppers have more of their 19s from 3 years ago however had Guy and Tiracola play last season and Werribee seem to have lost a few as well. I’ve seen a vast number of these players go down to the lower divisions and am wondering if it’s either they can’t cope with the competition or are being starved of opportunity.
Its to do with $.
These kids are developed through the ressies over a few years and do not get paid... nor they should.
You have Div 2 and 3 clubs offering a bit of cash for them to play seniors in the lower devisions. Had for the Div 1 clubs to hold onto these guys.

Give you an example.. Lochy Allen, unlucky to play a few senior games last year. Played in Altona's GF team. Unsure if he would get regular opportunity at senior level has decided to go to PCFC.
Guaranteed senior gig and will get paid.

GrumpyOldMan_NC

Monday's Expert
Feb 1, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi
Interesting comments on U19s and the leakage to lower divisions and ammos. Far be it for me to poke the salary cap bear in its cage, did anybody else see the article on nfnl ruling that 19 payments have to be included in the senior salary cap along with reserves

With clubs going for the best players they can afford there's no room for local community players. Some of the bought players are snipers too so moving other players out as well. Cricket clubs are bursting with numbers and ammos don't seem to have problems. Is the current situation ripping out the intermediate stage from local community football.

TheBoss78

Senior List
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Its to do with $.
These kids are developed through the ressies over a few years and do not get paid... nor they should.
You have Div 2 and 3 clubs offering a bit of cash for them to play seniors in the lower devisions. Had for the Div 1 clubs to hold onto these guys.

Give you an example.. Lochy Allen, unlucky to play a few senior games last year. Played in Altona's GF team. Unsure if he would get regular opportunity at senior level has decided to go to PCFC.
Guaranteed senior gig and will get paid.

I suppose it is more then a reflection on the character of the younger players now more willing to drop to a lower level and take the easy way earn a hundred bucks a week then learn develop and play at a higher standard will be interesting to see where some of these guys are at 5 years down the track

terrier

Debutant
Feb 4, 2010
albion
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Wbee ...2 teams as well as Altona and pt cook

terrier

Debutant
Feb 4, 2010
albion
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hi
Interesting comments on U19s and the leakage to lower divisions and ammos. Far be it for me to poke the salary cap bear in its cage, did anybody else see the article on nfnl ruling that 19 payments have to be included in the senior salary cap along with reserves

With clubs going for the best players they can afford there's no room for local community players. Some of the bought players are snipers too so moving other players out as well. Cricket clubs are bursting with numbers and ammos don't seem to have problems. Is the current situation ripping out the intermediate stage from local community football.

Is Mark Mcgoldrick doing another press conference on their behalf?

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I think Point Cook have come up a year too early... One more year in Div 2 recruiting a few to compliment last years team then an additional set of recruits the following year when coming up (if they got there obviously) would have been a much better path. Especially given they are new to the whole recruitment thing.

In 5 years or so when their juniors are all becoming senior players, they may be hard to stop each year due to weight in numbers...
I think they had 20+ teams last year in total.

TheBoss78

Senior List
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think Point Cook have come up a year too early... One more year in Div 2 recruiting a few to compliment last years team then an additional set of recruits the following year when coming up (if they got there obviously) would have been a much better path. Especially given they are new to the whole recruitment thing.

In 5 years or so when their juniors are all becoming senior players, they may be hard to stop each year due to weight in numbers...
I think they had 20+ teams last year in total.
Having many teams is one thing but having quality is another from their recent teams they don’t have much in the next few years but if they have better younger ones coming through they could be a bolter over the next couple years

BEST OF EDFL

Team Captain
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Can’t say at this point, however it will be over shortly with an appeal no doubt !

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not over
Come on mate . You mustn’t know the reason Anderson and Harris have back flipped as if you did everything you’ve written on here is farcical . Do you want me to spell it out ?
I’m told Harris broke down with old man calf Injury and may bob up in divivison one at tulla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back