Western Region FL - Divy 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad news to hear about the passing of Gav Taylor over the weekend. Was a great footy person and a true gentleman and so sad to hear of his passing. Was always smiling and would talk to anyone about footy or anything else. He was heavily involved at Albion for the majority of his footy time but also spent time at Seddon (Coached 1998 B Grade premiership) and Nth Footscray.
RIP Big Gav and my condolences to the family and Albion FC.

Hopefully stop a lot rumours circulating Roota about start dates etc also hearing some clubs losing country recruits going back home ping pongs side being one

Falcon is back

I know exactly who you are now

Shouldn’t have mentioned Jay, but very clever pointing people in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

Those awards will be great when there is no club left in the years to come if things don’t change

Rumour has it that Deer Park have told the WRFL that they wont be playing this year (IF fhe League starts in June) as they don have enough playerse.b

Rumour has it that Deer Park have told the WRFL that they wont be playing this year (IF fhe League starts in June) as they don have enough playerse.b

Makes sense. They’ll have massive trouble fielding a side if the cap drops by 75%, which is being suggested.

Just a quick question, been looking through the reams of info on the covid safety procedures and I couldn't find anything on the legal responsibilities/liabilities of covid safety officers. If happy snaps are taken at a game that show total disregard for social distancing (duty of care?) and then the club becomes a covid hotspot, does this leave the covid safety officer/club open for damages, or even worse a target for insurance companies to recover their losses!!!

Does a club have to take out insurance in case of an insurance claim?

My head hurts!!!

fe0bec5d242a1deb1abdd0fdd70348df.jpg

My initial reaction, posted on another board, to the job title of Covid Safety Officer was "single point of blame for insurance purposes"... makes fingerpointing child's play.
Have to agree. There is this line in the AFL info "Whilst acting in this role the individual will be covered under the Community Football Public Liability insurance policy."

Now we all know how loving, all-embracing and supportive our insurance companies are, and they will support you through everything until their army of investigators turn up one tiny mistake in the cleaning/management and they'll dust their hands off. Then say loudly 'Nothing to do with us, there's who you have to sue just there!'

People are talking about extending the break between reserves and seniors games to maybe 40 minutes. But would that give enough time to properly clean the rooms and equipment? Especially if people are standing back relying on the covid safety officer, or is this a question of hiring a speciality cleaning mob. Massage tables are another issue, no linen apart from single use and table has to be cleaned properly between patients.

Anyway, clubs may have to look at 'malpractice' type insurance for their covid efforts in case normal insurance pulls the pin.

Sorry for the rant, totally unlike me, but I don't want well meaning volunteers stuck with trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to agree. There is this line in the AFL info "Whilst acting in this role the individual will be covered under the Community Football Public Liability insurance policy."

Now we all know how loving, all-embracing and supportive our insurance companies are, and they will support you through everything until their army of investigators turn up one tiny mistake in the cleaning/management and they'll dust their hands off. Then say loudly 'Nothing to do with us, there's who you have to sue just there!'

People are talking about extending the break between reserves and seniors games to maybe 40 minutes. But would that give enough time to properly clean the rooms and equipment? Especially if people are standing back relying on the covid safety officer, or is this a question of hiring a speciality cleaning mob. Massage tables are another issue, no linen apart from single use and table has to be cleaned properly between patients.

Anyway, clubs may have to look at 'malpractice' type insurance for their covid efforts in case normal insurance pulls the pin.

Sorry for the rant, totally unlike me, but I don't want well meaning volunteers stuck with trouble.

I think the best thing would be to forget about playing this year and start afresh next year.
Perhaps have a few Junior matches to keep the kids involved.

I think the best thing would be to forget about playing this year and start afresh next year.
Perhaps have a few Junior matches to keep the kids involved.

Got to love your resilience champ. Every opportunity you get you want to give up or have a dig at someone for having a dip. I’d rather have a crack and see what I can achieve then to say it’s too hard and not even try.

No one is getting sued/fined, the requirements of the club are not that bad (educate, keep the place clean, train your people and record who is coming down) and if anything clubs should be doing most of these things anyways. Give it a rinse already.

It’s so tiring that people just want to give up cause it’s too hard. Oh there’s no money, no spectators so don’t play. Like everyone is that important - it’s just footy lads.

Stop looking for the worse in situations and look for the positives - that’s strong leadership, something to aspire to.

I think you all need a spray from your 3rd quarter coaches to get your a*sses into gear. We blew the lead, now 2 goals down going into the wind, have to play smart, play the angles and lift!!!

A little hard work never hurt anyone. Stop the sooking, get down to your club, train with your mates and try to build something special - just like every other year!

Can’t wait to support my club first opportunity I get.

Got to love your resilience champ. Every opportunity you get you want to give up or have a dig at someone for having a dip. I’d rather have a crack and see what I can achieve then to say it’s too hard and not even try.

No one is getting sued/fined, the requirements of the club are not that bad (educate, keep the place clean, train your people and record who is coming down) and if anything clubs should be doing most of these things anyways. Give it a rinse already.

It’s so tiring that people just want to give up cause it’s too hard. Oh there’s no money, no spectators so don’t play. Like everyone is that important - it’s just footy lads.

Stop looking for the worse in situations and look for the positives - that’s strong leadership, something to aspire to.

I think you all need a spray from your 3rd quarter coaches to get your a*sses into gear. We blew the lead, now 2 goals down going into the wind, have to play smart, play the angles and lift!!!

A little hard work never hurt anyone. Stop the sooking, get down to your club, train with your mates and try to build something special - just like every other year!

Can’t wait to support my club first opportunity I get.

I am over 60 (I served my club as a Player and on the Committee for over 30 years) and am a realist so I don't think training/playing is a viable option. I still support my club.

What is the point of a 7 or 8 game "season" which may mean that some clubs may not survive.

Opinions are like a...holes, everybody has one. I hope your club survives, Cheers

I am over 60 (I served my club as a Player and on the Committee for over 30 years) and am a realist so I don't think training/playing is a viable option. I still support my club.

What is the point of a 7 or 8 game "season" which may mean that some clubs may not survive.

Opinions are like a...holes, everybody has one. I hope your club survives, Cheers

There are a number points of playing - firstly if people want to they should be allowed to, playing will definitely improve the mental health of those involved (not just players) and I actually think it’s critical for the clubs survival.

Aside from player payments costs can be covered. Clubs just need to be creative. Councils are waiving fees, paying utilities. The WRFL is charging less and you’d hope players would dig deep and invest in the club - a bit harder in div 1 I know..

If a struggling club doesn’t play and their current playing group decide they don’t want to come back next year they are every chance of folding.

Each to their own, I know there are clubs opposing playing this year but in my opinion if you can play, play.

P.S 100% agree, opinions are like a*ssholes, everyone has one.

Take care Cob

Last edited:
Makes sense. They’ll have massive trouble fielding a side if the cap drops by 75%, which is being suggested.
All clubs will struggle bottom line is no crowds no dollars coming in sponsors money will be non existing our club along with 6 other division 1' clubs want season scrapped ,good to see hoppers coach agreeing also

All clubs will struggle bottom line is no crowds no dollars coming in sponsors money will be non existing our club along with 6 other division 1' clubs want season scrapped ,good to see hoppers coach agreeing also

Of all the players in the comp, DP players are the least likely to play for peanuts. Regardless of whether or not other clubs want the season to go ahead or not, the current climate is disastrous for DP and imo they struggle to come out of this without the bottom dropping out.

They have the right person leading the club though. Cant stand DP but I know Matty Pratt and he is a smart man when it comes to business and financial control. Will have to wait and see
They will be fine in the medium to long term as long as they change their list build from ex AFL players to try and win every year, to younger VFL or high quality local players over a number of years to fit in with the points system as they do have good revenues not dependant on one or two irregular sources.

For them it is just managing the transition well and accepting they may have a couple of years where they are not premiership favourites

They will be fine in the medium to long term as long as they change their list build from ex AFL players to try and win every year, to younger VFL or high quality local players over a number of years to fit in with the points system as they do have good revenues not dependant on one or two irregular sources.

For them it is just managing the transition well and accepting they may have a couple of years where they are not premiership favourites
Good luck telling GA that news. 😂😂😂

surely his bored and looking for another venture. 🤔

Good luck telling GA that news.

surely his bored and looking for another venture.
From what I have heard whilst an excellent contributor to the club he was/is not the main source of revenue.

The prior president and board did change the fortune of the club around and were able to generate significant sustainable funds from more than one source.

So be critical of how they may have gone about investing those funds by all means, but it is only rule changes and the scrutiny of those rules that has put them in any danger, it is not cashflow or financial issues that are their concern.

Their issue now is how to utilise this, remain competitive before being able to challenge consistently again by attracting and keeping players under current rules and restrictions.

Btw I am definitely not a Deer Park supporter in any way shape or form

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

From what I have heard whilst an excellent contributor to the club he was/is not the main source of revenue.

The prior president and board did change the fortune of the club around and were able to generate significant sustainable funds from more than one source.

So be critical of how they may have gone about investing those funds by all means, but it is only rule changes and the scrutiny of those rules that has put them in any danger, it is not cashflow or financial issues that are their concern.

Their issue now is how to utilise this, remain competitive before being able to challenge consistently again by attracting and keeping players under current rules and restrictions.

Btw I am definitely not a Deer Park supporter in any way shape or form

My concern about this club and other high profile clubs is how can a club be highly successful over many years yet not have anything in the bank to get them through a year of uncertainty. I can understand this for some Div 2 & 3 clubs but would have thought all clubs in Div 1 could/should sustain a year of some financial loss or at worst break even. It all comes down to management and planning, not for year on year but 3-5 years

My concern about this club and other high profile clubs is how can a club be highly successful over many years yet not have anything in the bank to get them through a year of uncertainty. I can understand this for some Div 2 & 3 clubs but would have thought all clubs in Div 1 could/should sustain a year of some financial loss or at worst break even. It all comes down to management and planning, not for year on year but 3-5 years
Trucka I highly doubt Deer Park do not have anything in the bank, in fact I would think the opposite is true. Financially they have been an extremely well run club and have not just been dependant on one source of income and have not paid out more than they could afford.

Their issue will be, as it will be for a few other clubs, players do not want to play for nothing, nor should they if it could impact on their ability to earn a living outside of football.

I know there are those that possibly with valid reason hope that this club falls in a big heap. I do understand this given some of their behavior over the past 7 years, but that was not addressed then and no point laboring it now.

Personally I hope it doesn't fold and they just move towards becoming a successful club maximizing a level playing field. By this I mean re build the list under the current rules.

The alternative could be no clubs without juniors are competetive on division 1 which cannot be good for the code or competition. Too low of points could hasten this. No club should be below 45 points but this is a debate for another day.

Good luck telling GA that news. 😂😂😂

surely his bored and looking for another venture. 🤔
you have been saying that for five years and about as long that deer park would fall apart
Maybe moneybags likes the environment and the fact he doesn’t have to dig deep like he did in your ship pot comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back