Western Australian State Cricket Team: Treble Winners. Again

Remove this Banner Ad

Is grade cricket actually producing any batsmen?

It's been pretty quiet of late (but have been out of the loop so far this season). Stevie Eskinazi going to Middlesex didn't help, but it's been surprising that Jaron Morgan never really kicked on. How's Hinchcliffe been going this year, he'd be one I'd be pretty shocked to not see represent WA at some point. Nic Hobson or Jacob Whiteaker have been doing ok for a couple of years now too. Bosisto has kind of reached that point where he's a little too good for grade cricket but still not at home in FC - think he will get there though.

Another disappointing loss, bottom of the Shield table and absolutely no hope this year, going to be a long season for WA.

Whiteman finally came good, but he has to continue. Turner batted beautifully to break through for his maiden ton after being dismissed in the 90's earlier this year, Wells at least showed some fight, although i'm not convinced he's the answer, the less said about the rest of the team the better.

Should get a minor reprieve next match if Coulter-Nile (how long is he out for?), the Marsh's and Agar are back.

Klinger
Bancroft
S Marsh (c)
M Marsh
Agar
Turner
Whiteman (+)
Short
Coulter-Nile
Behrendorff
Mackin

Cartwright very stiff to miss.

Coulter-Nile will probably miss the season.
Damn shame. Bloke was on the cusp of test selection a few years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree. He's been a superb coach. Even good coaches have poor years.

He's not had the Marsh bros, Voges or Hogan this year. That's big dents in the attack and the batting line-up.

I think his comments in The West this morning were reasonably encouraging - talking about the need for the squad to do a full mental reset. We've had a (relatively) successful period with the two BBL titles and the One Day Cup. But we've lost Hogan and NCN and are probably going to have to do without Voges and both Marsh brothers for extended periods.

There's some encouraging signs (Turner, Wells, Whiteman all getting scores, Mackin back in, Behrendorff stringing games together, Agar's form) even if the overall performances have been disappointing.

Basically when we made the shield final the last time Voges scored 1200 runs at 100, Klinger scored near 1000 runs and Shaun Marsh was averaging over 50.

Without Voges and Marsh its inevitable that the batting will decline.

I do think a lot of the younger guys like Cartwright and Turner are looking very promising now. And Bosisto as well in the near future.

Disagree. He's been a superb coach. Even good coaches have poor years.

I reckon he would have to be feeling the pressure. Sure, we have lost bowlers but it's the batting where we are really letting ourselves down. Despite the 1st innings 100 Bancroft looks 1/2 the player he was in the last few seasons. Klinger has had a rubbish season so far. Threw his wicket away in the second innings to Cutting against Qld. It's a rudderless ship at the moment.....going nowhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back