Western Australian State Cricket Team: Treble Winners. Again

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the opposite; it'll ruin him.
Why? Precedent means nothing to the individual. He's a kid who has always enjoyed leadership and actively sought it out.

He's not fulfilling his promise as it is, not sure how it can ruin him. It can't ruin him, but it can make him. Would be a bold move for WA cricket.

Or we just flounder with somebody like Shaun Marsh for a season or two.

Turner I would also be happy with, for similar reasons to Mitch.

Why? Precedent means nothing to the individual. He's a kid who has always enjoyed leadership and actively sought it out.

He's not fulfilling his promise as it is, not sure how it can ruin him. It can't ruin him, but it can make him. Would be a bold move for WA cricket.

Or we just flounder with somebody like Shaun Marsh for a season or two.

Turner I would also be happy with, for similar reasons to Mitch.
I don't think genuine all rounders should be captain; too much going on and too easy to be caught in two minds about bowling yourself. I also think, regardless of whether he's sought it it out, he's too immature to lead other players and get them to rally round him.

I don't think genuine all rounders should be captain; too much going on and too easy to be caught in two minds about bowling yourself. I also think, regardless of whether he's sought it it out, he's too immature to lead other players and get them to rally round him.
What indicates he is immature? One drinking incident years ago?

His head is very much screwed on.

It's a bit more than that, from what I have heard. Both Marshes have a bit of the FIGJAM about them apparently. That said, haven't really heard anything in the last year or two.
The 'I've heard game' can be a dangerous one :) let's see who WA choose.

The 'I've heard game' can be a dangerous one :) let's see who WA choose.
I'm no man with the inside knowledge but I have one colleague in and around WA cricket. Maybe the tales are exaggerated, maybe not, I don't really know. Personally, I'd probably hand it to Shaun (despite what I have said, he seems to have matured as a player and a person, and won't be called up for national duties) or Turner. Let Mitch focus on living up to his obvious potential.

I'm no man with the inside knowledge but I have one colleague in and around WA cricket. Maybe the tales are exaggerated, maybe not, I don't really know. Personally, I'd probably hand it to Shaun (despite what I have said, he seems to have matured as a player and a person, and won't be called up for national duties) or Turner. Let Mitch focus on living up to his obvious potential.
Shaun is 34 and one injury away from retirement.

WA cricket needs a long term captain with ambition. I don't mind the Turner option as he's less likely to get national call ups than Mitch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see the makeup of our List A team this year, given quite a few have been selected for the India series.

Might look something like:

Short
Bancroft
Klinger
S Marsh
Turner
M Marsh
Inglis +
Richardson
Green
Tye
Mackin/Moody

Out: Paris (Inj), NCN (India), Behrendorff (India), Carwright (India), Agar (India), Stoinis (India)

Even with all those outs, it's still a strong side that I can see challenging for the comp, albeit with a somewhat young attack. The order could easily be changed up, as Klinger and S Marsh might open.

Is he going to be fit enough for the Matadors?

He'll only play as a batsman.

Interesting that Paris has had a portion of the tendon which keeps tearing in his quad taken out. Wonder if that'll help him get over his constant injuries.

They've got some practice games in Brisbane in about two weeks time, so we'll get to see what sort of lineup they roll out.

read a very nice little column written by Mitch Marsh (appeared in the West Australian) on what it means to captain WA! very enlightening read!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back